"Not Knowing", Trust, and Letting Go

Very early on in my marriage to PG, I realized something rather important - and something that has probably saved us from hundreds of senseless arguments in our home . . . that lesson is that sometimes "not knowing" is best for me, and I must trust, and let go.

This is especially true when it comes to the electronics of our house.

You see, I am not an electronic person.  Not at all. And PG, well, he is a genius. Seriously.

I wouldn't know the difference between a subWOOfer, which I like to pronounce it with emphasis on the WOO, ;), to  any other part of a speaker system. To me, it's just a black box with a hole in it from which sounds comes. That's it. And Blue Ray? Poor PG gets SO MAD at me when I say I don't see the difference.

So, every once in a while I need to give up, "not know", trust, and let go.

But that is not always an easy thing to do. You see, sometimes "not knowing" means that your husband may head to the basement and drill a whole up through your kitchen floor, just to wire some speakers above the cabinets in the kitchen. Or, "not knowing" might mean that you have wires leading from the basement, through a hole to the family room, out the window, to some lovely rock-like speakers in the backyard. (The basement is "Electronics Central", by the way.) But, I've realized a long time ago that music is important to my PG's life. And surround sound . . . a MUST. So, I must TRUST. LET GO.

Like yesterday. As I worked feverishly on taking down the Christmas decorations and boxing things up for the season . . .
I found that my darling PG had plans of his own.  After much time had passed, I found it necessary to seek him out and see what had taken him away from "our" cleaning up the decorations plan. Much to my surprise, I found him . . .

. . .  working feverishly on his own project.

Now, in years of past I may have been alarmed at what PG was doing, why there were a million little wires AND a scissors involved, and wondered what the end goal was. But, the 2011 Leanne BELIEVED in her PG, and let go.

And by the end of it all . . . we had a beautifully rearranged family room with lovely sound coming from all of those little black boxes protruding all over our walls.

Yes, you never know when those Words of the Year will come in handy.

BELIEVE. That's 2011 for me, my friends. And it's already coming into play.

Wishing you a WONDERFUL day!

Comments

  1. hahaha- I BELIEVE PG has a master plan to give the world better sound quality!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to mention that PG has come a long way in his electronic and carpentry skills... remember when he used a staple gun to secure speaker wires on the wall and around a doorway? Yes, he's definitely come a long way, Baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute post, Leanne!!:) I love the pic of PG working with all those wires.

    As for the not knowing part? Good gracious I LOVE not knowing. We have been in business for nearly 20 years and not knowing has saved our marriage for sure!! Dave is always coming up with new ideas and such and I make it my business not to know!

    By the way...at our family goal setting session YOU and your family is on our list of goals!! LOL! We are planning a little family get away to Chicago sometime this summer...Dave's first store was in St. Charles and his Grandma lives in Hampshire and we have always wanted to show the kids the museums sooooo....that is what we got going, girl! Now just to choose a date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love a man with a plan!!! And I've also come to realize that "not knowing" is WAY different than being clueless. What serves me well is when HE thinks I'm clueless, but instead I choose to "not know". That, too, saves arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny! My darling husband is so similar. He is a tech guru! Surround sound, speakers, computers, and yes, even the SUBWOOFER!!! Our basement too is like a wire fest! And somehow, he seems to keep it all in order. I too, after years of wondering what the big deal was, have consented to just love him, and allow him to do what he needs to do to have his happy home....speakers and all! Glad I'm not the only one!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta believe, good for you!!! I'm the same way, I know NOTHING of blue ray vs regular ray etc...

    I just leave it up to the husband..therefore I BELIEVE too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go Luanne!! Already putting your "word" to great use!! And I don't think you can give a better gift to your spouse than to "believe in him"!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful philosophy! I am going to follow your example. (Well, I am going to try, anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that's what those things hanging around the corners of my wall are for?! I thought they were for decoration and the "oooOOOoooo" factor. Too bad they don't work.
    Send PG my way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. And let 2011 be the year of the glorious subWOOFer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how your word of the year is already working for you. It is making me feel better about this word of the year business.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post my friend! Yes, sometimes we need to simply "let go" and trust that the end result will be something we are very happy with. This sounds like a great end to the wondering. Thank you for your comment. I really cried a lot when my grandmother put that necklace on my neck. She wore it always and it was so special. I know what you mean about feeling warm like your grandmothers arms are wrapped around you. Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!