With Opened Eyes

I'm looking at everything with new eyes lately, wide open . . . as if I have never seen before. I used to think that I was a pretty laid back person - enjoying the little moments in life and not spending time on the negative. But I think I was totally off. And after all that has taken place in our country the past week, I feel like my eyes are wide open . . . for the first time in years.

I'm saying yes to a lot more . . . because I finally understand what really matters.

When Katie and Ella asked if they could make cupcakes with the dear friend all by themselves yesterday, I knew the kitchen would become a huge mess and I'd be left to clean it up . . . but I said "YES!" Because, all that really matters is that we are living our lives to the fullest - laughing and loving and enjoying our moments - because every single moment is a precious one.


And when they held their just frosted and slightly under baked cupcakes out for me to see, my heart filled with joy.  Because THIS is what really matters.

 
It's not just in my home when my eyes are opened wide . . . it's everywhere. 
 
I found myself looking at things differently on the corner of our block while waiting for Katie's school bus in the early morning. Each morning, the paper delivery guy (who drives a noisy rusty car) drives down our block in the early mornings and throws papers from his car house by house. Yesterday, as he went on his route, I looked up at him and smiled. In the past, I haven't usually done that. I've often wished his car was a little quieter as he made his way delivering his papers. But this week . . . my eyes are open. His car is his car. And I realize that that car is what allows him to do his job every day. How wrong of me to think anything about his car.
 
So, I smiled. And he smiled back.
 
Yes, I'm looking at life differently.
 
I ran an errand yesterday afternoon. While driving down a wooden road in my town, I saw a man walking by himself. While I would usually not think much of a man walking on his own, this man looked disheveled and was waving his hands erratically. I am not proud, but my usual thought would have been, "Gees . . . what is wrong with him? What is he doing?" However yesterday, I found myself wondering if he was ok, hoping that he was not alone in life, and praying that he would find his way.
 
Praying, for a stranger.
 
Today . . . I'm praying for all of us. That we stop killing each other. That we give each other the help we all so desperately need. That we love one another. And that we laugh and enjoy our days together. Because this life time is so very short. And each and every day is a special one.
 
Wishing you peace, my friend.

Comments

  1. Peace back at you my friend. Profound and inspiring words you left for us. May we collect them, warm them with our souls and breath and return them to the world manyfold. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet and true words by my wise friend:) You know it took me a very long time to finally just let go and let my kids make a mess!! Now as they get ready to leave home....I wish I would have done it much sooner. Enjoy those sweet little girls!!!

    I am looking at the world differently, too. We all must do that for it to change.

    Love to you!!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Leanne. This was a gorgeous post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peace, love and joy to you dear Leanne and your beautiful family this Christmas and always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! I love this post and how true and inspiring!!! Thank you for your beautiful thoughts!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your story Leanne! Abbie just showed it to me, she was so "proud" to be included in your post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!