My Red Feathered Friend

            
A cardinal has been hanging around my house lately. 

Last week he visited for three mornings in a row, usually around 7am. I heard him chirping away, calling out for his friends, as I sat at the kitchen table taking my first few sips of coffee. 

Each day I tried to take a photo of him. The one above was the best I could take - because each time I pulled out the 'real' camera (with the awesome zoom lense), he'd fly away. Almost as if he was saying, "Nope, I am not here for that. I am here just for you." 

I got smart, and started to leave the camera on a little end table in my living room - with camera out of bag and lense already on, I was ready for his close-up. 

He didn't come by the two days following.

Darn Bird.  

So me, my Cardinal, and my little iPhone camera meet up. 

I love when he comes by. Because I feel like he is my Dad, checking on me. Just letting me know that he is around. 

I still need my Dad from time to time. 

It has probably been five years since my Dad was in one of my dreams. But this morning, I woke up crying . . . because this morning, he appeared. 

Ever have one of those dreams that you don't want to wake up from? 

That was me. Today. 

I dreamt that I was working at Holy Cross Hospital (an old employer of mine). I was working on the 5th floor - the telemetry floor. It was crazy busy in my dream, and I was sitting at a large round table with a husband and wife who were there visiting someone. I was talking to them, and all of a sudden I looked up - and there was my Dad, sitting right across from me. He wasn't looking at me - he was looking just past me - but I tried to get his attention, as this woman sitting next to me continued talking on and on. Occasionally we'd make eye contact, my Dad and I, and I told the woman next to me, "that's my Dad. That man, he is my Dad." He smile at me a few times. Someone came up to him and I heard him say my husbands name. "Phil," he said. I heard my fathers voice, a voice I haven't heard in over 12 years. And he said Phil. 

How strange is that? 

I could tell, at that moment, that I was starting to wake up in the real world. And I didn't want to leave. I didn't want to leave the dream. I didn't want to leave my Dad. 

So I cried. 

And I woke to tears falling down my face. 

He looked so good. So healthy. So alive. 

And then, he was gone. 

This morning, I sat down for my cup of coffee, and heard my Red Feathered Friend outside again. My eyes filled up with tears. I didn't go and look at him today. But just knowing that he was nearby meant the world to me. 

Wishing you, and all your feathered friends, Peace. 

xo 

Comments

  1. Oh, Leanne! Tissue please!! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear friend, my heart goes out to you. I, too, have cried many days missing my Dad. I know all too well how you are feeling and I am sending you a big hug and all my love! This post is absolutely beautiful! You know, when my Dad first passed away I had dreams for two years all of the time. Very vivid dreams. I miss the dreams because he was always there and felt so real. I found comfort in them. I will pray for both of our Dads my friend. I hope you are well! :-)

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!