Living the Life of "What IS"

I've come a long way. . . and today, I was reminded just how far.

Years ago when Katie was a young toddler, and long before Ella joined our world, I was an uptight mom. (Can you even imagine it? Crazy, I know!) But I wanted things . . . . perfect. No, let me explain it another way. I believed that if things weren't perfect, that it was a direct reflection of the type of mom I was. Crazy, huh?

Crazy, but true.

If Katie had a hair out of place, I thought people would think I didn't take good care of my daughter. If she had messy hands, it must mean that I didn't clean her. If she was chubby, I fed her too much. If she was skinny, I didn't feed her enough. I like to think of this time as the whole 'new mom syndrome'. It wasn't fun.

I was surrounded with questions of "What If?" . . . What would people say if I let her get dirty? What would people think if . . . . you get the picture.  And I was miserable. Miserable trying to be what I thought I was supposed to be.

Somewhere along the line, though, I realized that none of it mattered. At some point, while I tried and tried to be the perfect mom, and realized that I wasn't enjoying any of it, I decided to give up the perfectness. And I found Me.

And, my friends, being Me is really the best Mom I can be for Katie and Ella.

And I was reminded of it all this afternoon, as I sat outside enjoying this beautiful Spring afternoon with Katie and Ella. We pulled off the socks and threw on the flip-flops, grabbed a bucket of chalk, and drew on our driveway until our hearts were content. It was the best afternoon I've had in a long time. And I needed it, bad.

At one point I looked up and found Katie and Ella sitting side by side, and the sight of them filled my heart with joy. I had to run inside to grab the camera, because I wanted to remember this moment forever.

And as I snapped the photo below, I realized that I am living the life of "What IS" and not the life of "what if", like I used to. These dirty, chalk covered, wiggly tootsie toes are "What IS" . . . . and I have long given up the worry of the "what if". Because the 'what is' is really all that matters.


What IS . . . . is so much better.

It's hard to believe that these little flip-flops were brand new when the afternoon began . . .


Have you had any "What Is" moments lately?

Leave me a comment and tell me about them . . . . I'd love to know!

Comments

  1. Awe, your a great mom and those girls love you!!
    Cute flip flops and love the nail polish!!

    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Leanne...I'm so glad you are no longer the "What If" Mommy!!! I can't imagine me keeping my mouth clamped shut when I'd see the what-ifness coming out!!! Cuz I'm lovin' the What IS Mommy and truly enjoying the Mom that you are!! Those two girls have quite an enriched life because of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great lesson for us all to learn! Thanks for the reminder and great post too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your lesson!! Making me cry, you silly girl:) I remember sidewalk chalk...awwww, the fun we had.

    I can so relate to your post, too. At this time in my life I am so worried about all their is to do, places to go, etc. However, I am learning and will continue for the rest of my high-strung self life I suppose!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes living in the moment, precious moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so sweet, Leanne. And both you and your girls are better off for you change of heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Perfect picture to pull it all together. You do have a great way with words. Yep...God gave you talent!!! Don't let that go! keep doing what you love and he will reward you!

    I have "what if" moments ALL the time, but the last year has taught me an awful lot about happiness and where it comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From time to time, I get stuck in the vicious cycle of what if's...because of my anxiety disorder...but I have a simple statement that I keep in handy. I have it written on my fridge and in my bathroom and in my purse and on my phone
    "I only have to be good enough"
    It has helped me to let go of my idea of being perfect and that everyone and everything around me has to be perfect as well.
    My son has taught me a lot about myself. Like he loves me no matter how dirty or clean my house is or how dirty our clothes get when we are tumbling in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is so great! I was like that also because I am a perfectionist and it is hard to be one when you have children. Living in the moment and simply enjoying "what is" is what it is all about! I hope you are doing well. I love the tootsie toes picture! :) You are a wonderful mommy! Have a great week!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your background is darling!!! Goes perfectly with your banner...you crafty, cool, chicky, you:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh.. this is excellent. I need to share this with a good friend of mine that is about to have a baby!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!