The Big Apple - Take 2

Greetings vacation viewing friends. I hope part one of our vacation series titled "The Big Apple" was enjoyable. Thank you for returning today for "Take 2". This one promises to be a star-studded event that will knock your socks off!

When I last left you, we were aboard a double decker bus in the middle of Times Square. Actually, I think we got off of the bus and had a piece of New York style cheesecake. But as soon as every last morsel of that cake was eaten (and the plate was licked clean), we returned to the bus and visited some more of Manhattan.

This is where our story picks up today . . .

 PG and Ella . . . what a pair . . .
 followed by Mom and me. Cute, aren't we?


It was an absolutely BEAUTIFUL day in the city. The temperature was perfect, and the sun was out shining over us as bright as can be.

After seeing much of the downtown area, we exited the bus at Ground Zero. It has changed so much since we were last here in 2009. Much of the space is now a construction site, so you can not get any where near the actual place where the buildings stood. We walked through a preview are for the 9/11 Memorial and saw all of the plans for the sight. (Click this link to the memorial website for more information.) It's so hard to believe what happened in this very place almost 10 years ago. 10 years. Can you believe it?

You can't help but reflect on the events of 9/11 when visiting Manhattan. Through our many trips there the past few years, I have gotten to know a number of people who were in the city on that day. People who lost friends and loved ones and people who volunteered to help others during that time.  Can you remember how our country united after the tragedy? After the horrific incidents of that day, we started to look each other in the eye again. We started to care. Sometimes I feel we have lost that unity. But when I walked through the preview of 9/11 Memorial, those feelings return. Chills.

The new World Trade building (which will be known as "One World Trade Center") looks amazing. They have constructed up to the 80th floor and are moving quickly.
After our visit to World Trade, we headed over to Little Italy.

Sigh.

This restaurant below (Positano) is where PG and I ate after he asked me to marry him in 1997. (Seriously.) We had forgotten the name of the restaurant in all of the excitement of becoming engaged in New York, but knew the name began with a "P" and could clearly remember the inside. Years ago, we searched up and down Mulberry Street to find it, and did just that. This is the first time we brought Katie and Ella here, and I love this photo of them in front of it.


PG and I shared a special moment while enjoying dinner with our family.

Then we found a church where we stopped to take photos years ago, and snapped a few more shots now. I'll share older pictures with you at another time, but it was pretty exciting to be there this time with the girls.


We were pretty exhausted after our adventures this day, so couldn't wait to settle in at our hotel. In the middle of Time Square, our view from the 41st floor was breathtaking . . .


And here are just a few shots of Time Square for you, at 9:30 PM. . .


I love these photos . . . the colors, the excitement of the city, the look on the faces of all the people. It's 9:30 at night, but as crowded as if it were the middle of the afternoon. It makes me think of my dad, who would be tucked in bed by 7:30 PM every night (he started worked early in the morning) and he would be so frustrated with me if I was just going out with friends at that time. I used to think, "Dad, there is a whole world out there that is STILL UP and doing things at 7:30 PM." My Dad would not believe Time Square.


The next morning, PG caught the girls looking out the window of our room. I absolutely love this next photo. Oh, the places they'll go . . .


At least I have a few more years with them, though.

So, after a brief Starbucks run (there were TWO in our hotel! Yippie!) we met up with Whoopie and some other celebs. My friends . . . you are about to be amazed.

Grandma C had to have a picture with Captain Jack . . .
And I really thought Katie was going to pick up this next one and bring it home with her . . . .
Yep. She's got that Beiber fever thing. But it's seriously cute, don't you think?
Next, Grandma C's interview with Mr. Al Roker and Mr. Matt Lauer. . .
. . . while my nephew enjoys a moment with Regis and Kelly.
Phil likes to joke that this next picture are Katie and Ella's real parents . . .
But nope . . . HERE are their real parents . . . (I swear, any opportunity to "ham it up" and PG and I are right there!)
And last but not least, my favorite of all time . . .
I do LOVE Lucy!

Ok, my friends. That's all for this installment. I'll conclude tomorrow with Take 3, where I'll take you on an adventure for hot dog, share a soggy day at Lady Liberty and show us having tea with some dollies. (Sounds thrilling, doesn't it?) Oh, and can you believe there wasn't a single photo of FOOD in this post? Well, we'll make up for that tomorrow!

Hope your day is filled with lots of STARS!!!!

I bid you Peace!

Comments

  1. AWESOME! The Bill and Hillary looks really good! And the Bieber Fever.. hahahahaa..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so much FUN!! And what do you mean there is no picture of food? What is that Lucy cooking up in her bowl anyway??

    Your girls are so cute and I love their expressions! How cool was it for you and PG to go back and visit they ol engagement spot! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! Thoroughly enjoyed Bite 2 of your Big Apple... I have to go there myself someday and see all those sights :-) Have a fantastic weekend Leanne and gorgeous family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun...I am SO enjoying living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun trip, I love touring cities on those open air bus trips, an easy enjoyable taster of all a city has to offer. Positano one of my all time favourite places in Italy, I hope you get to visit for yourself one day Leanne.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!