Things I Learned (Last Week)

Oh, dear, I seem to have run away from blogland (again) this week. Not sure where the days or hours took me . . . but I do know that I was far far away from my computer and anything writing related. Living. So much to share with you, how will I get it all in?

My friend Nicole over at Destination Unknown started a great little weekly post idea about a month or so ago called, "Things I Learned". She usually writes her post on Fridays, and includes her Top 10 list of lessons learned during the week. I'm a little late on the band-wagon here (remember, just a little behind on all things blog related). But I LOVE this idea, and thought I would share a few of my lessons last week. By glancing at my list, you'll find a bit of what has been keeping me away . . . so, here you have it, my friends.

My Top 10 of Lesson Learned (last week)

1. I love this time at home with the girls. This week I took the girls to The Art Institute of Chicago (one of my very favorite past times). I learned a great deal about both Katie and Ella. Specifically, can you believe that Ella was just obsessed with this painting by Ivan Albright? 
The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Ivan Albright c.1943 for the 1945 movie.

She was so interested in the Oscar Wilde story, and wanted to hear all about this man (Dorian Gray) and his soul. I am always amazed at this little girl.

2. It's ok to have a meltdown every once in a while. Mine hit on Friday . . . as I was rushing to get to the unemployment office, and when I realized I had misplaced my social security card and could not find it. Big ol'baby meltdown . . . crocodile tears and all. 

3. I can survive being alone with just me and the girls when my life has turned upside down (lost my job) and when PG has 4 trips back to back and is gone for a month. I might not like it, but I can survive it. As a matter of fact, I did survive it. (PG returned on Sunday morning at 12:45 AM . . . YIPPIE!!!!) 

4. I can not force creativity. I must create when the spirit moves me to do so . . . and working on a number of pieces on a Friday evening for 6 hours just because the girls are over at their Auntie and Uncles and I felt I SHOULD be taking advantage of the alone time might not be the best thing to do. Because, in the end, I very well may end up with four pieces of art that I am not inspired by (or proud of) and will end up throwing away. Don't force it. Do it when I feel it.

5. I don't like to cook when PG is out of town. Just don't. Not really a lesson learned, just an observation. And when the kids are gone . . . I'm all over the cold cereal for dinner.

6. I am a Bravo TV Junkie. All of it. Real Housewives, Flipping Out, Top Chef, Rocco's Dinner Party, ok, throw in Project Runway (no longer a Bravo program . . . but originally on Bravo). If it's reality and it's on Bravo, I'm probably watching it.

7. Watching a good friend make a decision of whether or not he wants to remain in his marriage is harder than I ever thought it would. And bonus lesson . . . it has helped me to count the blessings of my own marriage and of my husband so very very much.

8. I miss my morning greetings with my Starbucks Barista more than I miss my job. Yes, it's true. Since I am not working, I am not making the stops at Starbucks on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings like I used to. While the pocket book appreciates this greatly, I kind of miss the friendships I developed with the barista girls.

9. I love my husband. I missed him so very much this week . . . and am SO GLAD he is home.

10. I am brave. I have stood up for myself more than ever before. I have been following my dreams. I am laughing. I am braver than I ever imagined.

So, my friends, that's just a little look at my lessons last week. Tomorrow . . . on to another adventure as we (PG, the girls, my nephew, my mom and me) drive across country to spend a glorious week with my sister-in-law, brother-in-law and nephew in NEW YORK! I CAN'T WAIT!!! (Watch our Broadway!!!) I hope to blog a bit while on the road . . . and am sure to have a million and one stories to share upon our return. I also hope to catch up on blog reading while riding in the car - so I'll be by soon! Can't wait to read up on all of your lives and stories.

Peace, my friends. Be back soon!

Comments

  1. So happy PG is home. Mine once went away for 3 weeks and it was hard. NY will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "Learned" lists!! What's not to love about reflecting on your life!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the list and what a great idea:O) Have an awesome trip!!!!:O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. Loved the list. Hope you are in NYC right now having a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE love your list. Sorry I am a few days late commenting... sometimes people's post just slip past me.

    You are probably the bravest person I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This week and last week, you learned some important lessons for yourself and for all of us. It's good to pay attention, to focus, to have this appreciation ... something I should try harder to do, rather than just hurtling along ....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!