My Dad

This is a photo of my Dad, taken when he was a young man. I love this photo. It brings a smile to my face to see him in this photo. Seven years ago today my Dad passed away. I was just 3 months pregnant with Katie at the time, and I can remember that day like it was yesterday. He went into the hospital for surgery on December 11th (or close to it) with the plan to be home one week later. That week came and went. And Daddy never made it home. Loosing him was the worst thing that I've ever been through in my short 38 years on this earth. He was a great man.

Today my immediate family (brothers, sister, kids and the in-laws) will be gathering at my Mom's for our Christmas celebration. When Mom first suggested this day for our annual gathering, I wasn't very happy that she wanted to do it today. But then I realized that I guess it is pretty appropriate that we do meet and CELEBRATE today. Not only celebrate the holiday - but I guess celebrate our family, and my father.

So, to celebrate my Dad (and NOT to mourn him), I thought I'd share some little tidbits of Dad that made him, in my eyes, the very best:


  1. He was a whistler - always whistling some tune or another. Used to drive my Mom nuts, because many times he was a "nervous" whistler. But I loved it.
  2. He had a Dunkin Donuts coffee belly - NOT a beer belly. He LOVED his Dunkin Donuts, BIG TIME!
  3. He was the biggest Chicago Cubs Fan I think I have ever known. He was loyal and stood by that team through good and bad (usually bad). He would get SO UPSET over their games, I often feared he would have a heart-attack when watching them.
  4. Believe it or not - he liked Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston and Bon Jovi! (Yes, Bon Jovi!) I remember being home one afternoon when Dad called me down to the family room. He actually had MTV on the T.V. and he said, "Who is this band?" I told him it was Bon Jovi. I remember waiting with great anticipation for him to say something like, "Their hair is too long" or "Their music is too loud", but instead he said, "I like them." That was a really cool moment to me.
  5. Everytime I would leave the house - especially if I were driving - my Dad would remind me to lock my car doors. Every single time. "Lock your doors!" he'd yell, as I was running out the door.
  6. He really adored my Mom. I remember moments of them fighting like cats and dogs -but raising 4 kids and working hard - they always worked this out. They loved each other, and that is so beautiful to me. My mom has one of those "Once a Week" hair-dos (when she goes to the "Beauty Parlor" ONCE A WEEK and has her hair done.) Her style has pretty much been the same as long as I can remember - it's teased up high and looks very neat, but it doesn't MOVE at all. Not one bit. I remember going and getting a perm once when I was probably 18 years old and coming home with that '80's kind of curly "Mall Hair" style. My Dad was NOT happy with my new look. I remember him saying to me, "I thought you were going to have your hair done?" I told him that I did. He said, "You're kidding. Why don't you go and have your hair done like your mothers? Her hair always looks so neat." I remember being mortified that he told me to do my hair like my Mothers. I told him he just "didn't get it". I was such a teenager, you know?
  7. He used to sing this little tune, "If I tell her that I love her?" He had a great voice, and every once in a while he would change the line from "IF I tell her that I love her" to "SHOULD I tell her that I love her" or "WHEN I tell her that I love her." It used to crack me up and I used to want to say to him, "TELL HER ALREADY, DAD!!!!"
  8. He was Felix from the Odd Couple. If there was a dirty spoon in the sink, he'd find out which kid put the spoon in the sink and why they didn't clean it and put it away. The garbage can in the kitchen was NEVER filled with garbage. NEVER. He would immediately take whatever you might have just thrown in there, and put it outside in the large garbage can behind the house. I still can't figure out why he even HAD a garbage can in the kitchen. He was proud of his clean home (and he would absolutely go crazy if he saw my house right now!)
  9. Right in line with the above"Felix" reference - he would always immediately vacuum the house after a holiday or family party. That may seem normal to you - except with my Dad, he usually did that when the GUESTS WERE STILL OVER. He had no problem starting to clean up the house - I mean REALLY clean up the house (take tables down, dust, vacuum) when our guests would still be with us. SERIOUSLY! Most of our family friends and relatives knew the drill, though, and they would cooperate by lifting their feet when Dad was coming by with the vacuum where they were sitting. SO Funny!!!
  10. He didn't like to go places. And he would be ready to leave the moment he would arrive anywhere. He was a simple man who loved his home most of all. He was always there, if we ever needed him. He was a good man, and he raised a good family. And I love him.
Those are some of the TOP things about my Dad that I just love, although there are THOUSANDS more. Loosing him 7 years ago was the worst day of my life, and there has been something so bitter-sweet about Christmas since his passing. As the years go on, the bitterness is less and less. Thinking about him - seeing him in my daughters - and knowing that he is watching over us, somehow helps. Today I am not going to cry for his loss. I am going to celebrate in the life he led and the joy he gave and know that someday we will meet again. I believe that. I have to.

Comments

  1. Leanne, this is by far, the most beautiful post of all. Thank you so much for sharing a little bit of Joe with us. I'm so grateful to have gotten to know him a little better through your words. I just know you and the fam will have a wonderful "Bemb" Family Christmas. And it'll be a good feeling knowing Joe is with you, right next to that ceramic angel tree topper!!! Or maybe in the closet with the vacuum!!! Merry Christmas, Leanne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you this...I just read the post to my PG...he walked away without saying a word... translation: He got choked up. This post will touch many lives, Leanne. You have stirred up many memories. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words, PK. It was really therapy for me to write this one. I have long thought of these little bits of Dad that warm my heart, and actually putting them into words was very heart warming for me. Thanks for understanding that and for recognizing it. Love you.

    p.s. The vacuum is sitting in the middle of the family room right now - exactly where it should be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee - what a great post. Made me cry and think of what a great dad you had. I remember your dad had a great laugh and a twinkle smile in his eyes. I loved that about him. I loved the "Touhy, what do you know," or Touhy, what's going on...". He always stopped and waited for my response. He would be so proud of you. Love ya, 2E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee - (sigh!) Great post - the best part is the REMEMBERING and CELEBRATING, not the mourning part! I think EVERYONE would want to be remembered like that, rather than mourned. Remembering those little moments in every day life that touches someone and makes you human, those are the things that make the difference! Not the job you work, or the car you drive, or the presents you receive. Its those little moments in life that remind you how special someone is to you. Thanks for sharing. Ive been thinking about my Dad a lot this xmas and remembering the years when he felt better and Christmas was a great time. We spend so much time and money this time of year trying to make people happy, we sometimes forget those arent the moments that are remembered, its the whistling, the MTV watching, the small things in life....thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great tribute! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! (((hugs!)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I was the only one who had a mom with a "once a week hair-do"!!LOL! My mom has had her hair done once a week since I was in kindergarten!!!:)

    Okay...this post was so great. I miss my Dad, too. Lost him Father's Day weekend (really yucky) nearly 14 years ago. Here are a few things about my Dad...our Dad's sound kind a similar!!

    *My Dad LOVED the song "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes. He's be out cleaning paint brushes with the garden hose (Dad was a painter) and his old "paint" radio would be blaring KGRS or KBKB and the that song would come on and he'd stop to listen!! He also loved a song from the Stones from that same summer (1981)

    * He loved the Cubbies, too!! We lived quite few hours from Chicago but we still managed to go to a few games. To this day I turn on the radio to listen to baseball in the spring. It brings me comfort and I can feel him with me.

    *Dad called me the "Towel Monster" because of my bad habit of taking a shower and leaving the place a disaster!! Now my kids do it to me!!

    Well, I don't want to take over your post, Leanne...just wanted to share a few memories, too. I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas celebration and remembered your wonderful Dad!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it...forgot some of those great attributes of your Dad's...especially the vacuuming under the legs of guests while they were still at the house. I should really carry on that tradition. I still think of things that he did more than I realize and I know that he had an influence on all of us. Hopefully that carries over to the girls and I'm glad they know of him and talk about him sometimes like they know him from stories we tell.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!