How are you?

So, something happened at work this week that really inspired me, and I'd like to share it with you.

Part of my job is a client rep. The other part of my job deals with making phone calls to insurance companies. What type of insurance companies doesn't really matter (they are all kind of the same, aren't they?) Anyway, I can kind of tell you that dealing with insurance companies isn't always a * * FUN * * job. So, I find I have to make it fun whenever I can.

I make it a habit, when calling said insurance companies, to always start my call by saying, "Hi! My name Leanne from [blahblahblah]. How are you?" and the person on the other line usually goes on with their greeting - which is never really a greeting at all . . . it's more like a, "Your ID number? Where are you calling from? Your call back number?"

Anyway, the other day I was calling a company and provided my usual greeting - except this time the person on the other line became flustered and kind of lost her train of thought. I knew exactly what it was, and I called her on it. I said, "I threw you off, didn't I? When I asked you how you are, right?" (Luckily, she was honest.) "Yes," she said, "I can honestly tell you that I am rarely asked how I am, and I didn't quite know what to say." "Well," I said, "why not tell me how you are?"

We conversed for just a few seconds . . . but what really mattered is that for the remainder of this call, we genuinely listened to each other and I have to tell you - it was nice. At the end of the conversation, she said, "Thanks for calling me, Leanne. I hope you have a wonderful day." And I think she actually meant it. That was nice.

I started thinking to myself (once again) about how we interact with each other. I've written about smiling at each other before (click here to be reminded) and about spreading love (click here to be reminded of that one.) I guess I am just inspired when I can connect with a stranger, you know? It makes the world a little warmer, a little smaller, a little happier.

So, once again, a challenge for my faithful blog reader. This week, ask someone HOW THEY ARE. Not your spouse or child. Not your parent or sibling. This week, as a complete and total STRANGER how they are. . . and you might be surprised. Someone might as you how YOU are, in return.

By the way . . . in the midst of all this holiday craziness . . . How are YOU? ; )

Comments

  1. I do this, too!! Like when I had my business and I'd be ordering something I would actually start chatting with them...sometimes they would think I was crazy but most times they had a smile in their voice!!

    As always love your posts...they brighten my day. Thanks, Leanne!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wante dto drop a quick line and let you know that reading your posts just makes me smile! I hope YOU are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At work, we are reminded to let the person on the other end of the phone hear your smile. :)

    I talked to a guy from AT&T this morning who was so full of energy. He asked me how I was and I told him, "Calvin, having a rough morning, but I appreciate your enthusiasm, I hope you can help me with my big problem...." Let me tell you, Calvin treated me like his sister's best friend and took care of my problem. I wish everyone I talked to was that excited to do their job! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just thought you'd like to know...your package is on its way...HO, Ho, hO!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!