The Million Dollar Question

While driving into the city this week, and while stuck in traffic, I found myself getting a good education in the fine art of billboard displays all along I55. Some made me chuckle, some made me sad, and some made me day dream. Yep, day dream. All in the comforts of my Honda Odyssey (might make you kind of nervous to be on the road with me, huh? No worries. I am a very responsible driver. I just allow the mind a little wandering freedom when I am in a quiet car. It's actually pure heaven to me - traffic and all.)

So the billboard that started the daydreaming this week . . . the Illinois Lottery.

Yep, they are giving away $56 MILLION DOLLARS this week. $56 MILLION DOLLARS.

Now, I am not a Lottery playing person (I guess that's why I never win.) I don't know if $56 MILLION DOLLARS is what the lottery normally gives week to week. This week, it seemed like, gulp, A LOT OF MONEY.  I mean, could you imagine? I could . . . you see, that is where the day dreaming began . . . 

What would I do with $56 MILLION DOLLARS?

Well, I think the first thing I would do, would be to call PG and tell him to "take the next plane home, baby! Momma struck it BIG!!!" On second thought - maybe he shouldn't do that just yet. I mean, with the economy as it is - he might need to work for just a little bit longer. Plus ... I've got some BIG plans. ;)

Then, I think I would call all my creditors (cars, house, cards) and tell them to go to "you know where!" and that their FINAL PAYMENT would be coming within days and they can take their INTEREST and SHOVE IT!! (Sorry, I am a little bitter towards my lenders today!)

Then I would call my Mom, my sister, my brothers, my in-laws, and tell them all that I would pay off their mortgages - oh, and I'd probably throw in a new car. I mean, I have to take care of my army, right? Maybe take them all on a special vacation, too. Yes, that would be nice.

Next, I think I would call my dear friends who have kids (2E, Cindi, Sherri, Maria, Karen, Pam, Mary, Christina, Jenni, and whoever else I may have forgotten) and give each of them some money for their kids education. Maybe $100,000 per kid. Is that too cheap? I mean, I know that education costs are rising - how far would that really get them? I'll have to think that about that a little bit longer.
 
I'd call my blog friend Leslie and order, like, 100,000 pizza's from her and her hubby. (That might help their pizza place for a while.) Then I'd ask her to arrange the delivery of the pizzas to homeless shelters all around her city and neighboring cities (I'll pay for the delivery, of course.) Then, I would do it AGAIN . . . in a month or two. And AGAIN. And AGAIN. Yes, that would be good.

Next, I'd call my scrap buddies Peggy, Cindi and Laura, and tell them to pack their bags - that we were going on this awesome trip to scrapbook in Tuscany with Ali Edwards. I mean, how cool would that be? Oh, and I'd take them all on a big ol'shopping excursion to whatever our favorite Scrapbook store might be - for an unlimited amount of creative goodies!! Ohhhhh, could you imagine?

Then, I'd probably want to build a new house. Nothing too elaborate. Just something a little bigger. Not too big, though. I mean, I don't want to work the cleaning lady and the maid too hard. Just something that would have a big soaker tub in our master bath, and a larger kitchen to gather in. Oh, and a craft room. The new house MUST have a craft room. With large built-in cabinets and excellent lighting! Oh, and it must have great workspace for me and my scrap ladies. Oh, what the heck . . . maybe I'll have to build a whole SEPARATE CRAFT HOUSE!!!! Imagine that! Maybe the main house could be Frank Lloyd Wright inspired (I'm a big fan of his) with some wonderful outdoor spaces. Oh, and maybe a pool. A real pool. Not the blow-up donut ring kind (like we have now.) Oh, yes. A new home would be so lovely. Don't you think? Oooo, and I could call my blog friend Angie and tell her to pack a bag (and the kids) and I would hire her to decorate the place! Oh, she'd do a fanTAStic job!

Then, I'd sign Ellie and Kate up for some really cool art classes at the Louvre (I guess that means we'd have to go to Paris, too!), and have some special Mom & Me adventures were we can hop on a plane and end up someplace awesome for fun shopping (maybe to New York City!). We'd buy some new clothes, stop at FAO Schwartz and buy a few new toys (maybe a giant teddy bear, because - well, just because), and then see a couple plays. Oh, the fun! Eventually we'll have to go on a Disney cruise (or two).

Ooooo . . . I'd buy PG a new car (he would love one with an Ipod docking station) and maybe let him get that HUGE FLAT SCREEN TV he's been eye-balling at Costco. Maybe a couple new blue-ray DVD's too.

Maybe I'll even get myself an outfit or two. Oh - then my hair. I'd love to get my hair done and colored - like - for real (not from a box!) Oh, the fun!

Of course, it wouldn't ALL be like this. I would certainly give some money to some charities I believe in. OF COURSE!! But right now, I'm just having fun spending it all on silly stuff. I mean, there's $56 MILLION DOLLARS here, you know? I can have some silly stuff, don't you think?

Now that I think about it, I think I might need PG to keep working a little bit longer. Just another year, or two.

Wow. That went fast. I guess I need to go and buy a ticket now. Can't quite spend $56 Million if you don't buy the ticket to win it, huh?

So, how about you? How would you spend $56 Million Dollars? I'd love to know . . .

Comments

  1. Man, I would've been so lost in that day dream too!! I'd be right next to you doing all the same things for my crew!!! Funny how people generally have the same plans in common when asked that big "WHAT IF" question!! I'm a new follower from the lady Bloggers Tea Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd fly my blogging friend Leanne into the Portland airport go to coffee and hit the Saturday market then go get a Manny Petty. :) A new home would be nice...the kids have messed up this one...And I really like the house keeper idea! OOoooo so much to spend, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would promptly move back to California into the house of our choice, make sure our parents and kids were permanently provided for, and then spend a few years traveling the world, with our kids and a bring-along nanny.

    Are you in Illinois, Leanne? you know I'm a born/raised Chicagoan. I know I55 well...now I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How often I have had this dream! I would set up each of my daughters very nicely, no more worries about medical bills and cars that are breaking down and over due bills and living on Ramen!
    I would also set up my parents to be able to live a nice life for as long as they lived, so my Dad could finally, maybe smile again and my Mom could relax.
    Next, well get us out of this darn apartment, buy a house outright and set up an account to cover taxes and monthly bills, so all hubby would have to earn is food and fun money....he is not one to stop working.
    Then of course also set up another account that would be back up for all the others I already set up
    ( after the couple years we lived through where we once had nearly 100k in the bank and owned a home and now are broke and live in an apartment...well I like rainy day funds).
    Then it would be time for travel to see my friends I have made from online and see some of the places I have always wanted to see....and finally be able to relax and breathe and believe that everything is going to be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it...but when do I get to come home?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Leanne, I LOVE that day dream. Can I come to tuscany too please? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the things I would do and the places I would see!!! Wouldn't that just be too fun!

    I love that you wrote a whole blog post on this. A girl's gotta dream..right?!!

    p.s..I also wanted to thank you for you comment on my blog today. It really was one of the sweetest comments I have received. Thanks, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post! Hmmmmm, that is a lot of money! I would definately make sure things were paid off and my family as well. I would then make sure we had a safety net in savings and that my daughter would have college money, and a trust for her future to secure her always. Then I would open a nonprofit organization to help children in need! I have always wanted to do something where I am giving back. Have a great Sunday!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Angie...I want to come to Tuscany, too:)

    Such fun things you have planned. And we sure would appreciate your business...

    So many things I would do.

    *hire a housekeeper
    *go to Disney, stay at the Grand Floridian for like 2 weeks and just eat the best food, buy all the souvenirs we can stand and have a blast!!
    *Buy every collage item I want
    *go shopping to decorate my house. Hey, Angie I need you for that:)
    *donate at least 5 million dollars to St. Jude's Medical Hospital
    *Take my fam to Hawaii
    *Go to Australia
    *Go to where the movie Letters to Juliet was filmed
    *Plan an amazing trip with all my blog friends!! Buy their tickets, pick up the tab for everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you win! Poor Phil.... I'd do all those generous things and open a bookstore and buy a house in like, Riverside or Oak Park...something old with character...

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOOh fun!
    You know WHAT! I am going to dedicate a WHOLE post to this! You have inspired me!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!