What I used to know

I used to know things.

Really cool things.

Things that would impress even the toughest critic. Things that would have me winning at a game of Trivial Pursuit. Things that would make you say, "Wow, she knows things." I used to know things about theater, and what the latest and greatest play on Broadway was. I used to know things about history, and could recite the order of Henry VIII's wives in 10 seconds flat. I used to know things about old Hollywood, and details of the tragedy of Marilyn Monroe. I used to know things about art, about music, about literature. I used to know a lot.

Then, I had kids. Two of them.

And as thoughts of 2AM feedings, piles of laundry, and "when did she last poop?" came into my brain . . . all those other things went out.

It's been 7 years since I had my first daughter. 

I still know things.

But now the things I know are a little different. Like, now I know the names to each of the Jonas brothers, I know which Walgreens is sold out of Hedge hog silly bands, I know that in second grade you start rolling your eyes and don't like your hair being "fluffed" by Mom, and I know that no matter how little a paper cut may look, a Hello Kitty band-aid is always required for proper healing.

What I don't know is; where I put the checkbook or what the last check was that I wrote, if I put the milk back into the frig this morning, or if I will ever know again the things I used to know before I had kids.

Ah, the joys of life as I know it.

What do you know today? I'd love to know . . . (and chances are, I'll probably forget by lunch time.)

Comments

  1. Hahaha Leanne you are so funny! I guess I fall into the same 'I don't know' category as you do. How is it that having kids have a way of robbing us of our bodies and minds?

    I know my boobs used to be perky. I know I used to be able to jump/sneeze without peeing my pants. I know I used to remember a lot quicker that I do now.

    What I do know is my youngest is 20 and I'm still trying to get it all back...I just don't know how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having children eats your brain away. It is true. But it fills up your heart, so it all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are highlighting perspective here. When you are a student, you know a lot of facts about a lot of things. When you are working, you know a lot of specific facts about your job. As a mom, you know mom stuff. Since, I got sick, I know a lot about that. Learning more all of the time. I also know a lot about doctors and hospitals. And medications. My father is very into vitamins, so I am learning what vitamins are helpful or could be helpful. What I know is that when doctors say they are practicing medicine, they mean it in the most literal sense of the word. They have been practicing on me for seven years now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine, Anne, Jane, Anne, Kathryn, Kathrine.

    I also know that stability isn't worth happiness, people can be poopyheads and my dog screams when he's unsure of his surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls are six and eight and I feel like I am starting "to know" things about life - things that definitely went into hibernation during the toddler years. Now that my eight year old is reading books like The Diary of Anne Frank some of my knowledge is being seriously tested. In the last few weeks we've talked about WWI, WW2, The Holocaust, The Civil War and The American Revolution. I was impressed with myself that I was able to give a pretty decent abridged version of everything. Keep writing and you'll learn a whole new set of "things!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true! I know the color of a baby's poop changes when I eat broccoli and then nurse, I know the vicious corporate world is nothing compared to playground competitiveness, I know pretending to be a unicorn with a hurt horn can distract a three year old long enough for daddy to escape and go to work, and I know the perfect concoction of hairspray and polish remover to get nailpolish out of my carpet. Whew! I'm smarter than I thought these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So...where does that leave us mom's who have 4 kids??? Seriously....I.KNOW.NOTHING!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, now it's clear to me...at some time in our lives, we DO know it all. It's just that all that information doesn't fit in our brain all at the same time!! Phew! Glad to know that when I get called a freaking-know-it-all that there's some truth to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite funny Leanne, and just think, as you get older what you know will change and what you forget will change too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have decided that being a mom of teens I don't know anything...at least they think that. They often roll their eyes at me....

    I am behind a bit on reading...sorry:(


    Loved your comment from yesterday. You always make me smile. My Emi was standing beside me as i read your kind words and I just smiled and said "Leanne is one of my best friend!". Em looked at me funny and said...mom, you have never even met her! I replied...I don't need to to know she is one of my dearest friends!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leanne, I totally enjoyed that post. Before I had the teens, I knew algebra, geometry, trig. Afterwards, I didn't know squat. Before I had my little ones, I could troubleshoot computer application problems over the phone, "seeing" each screen in my head. Recently, the only way I could troubleshoot any problem was by being in front of the computer having issues and even then i had trouble remembering things.
    I guess pregnant brain can last years post pregnancy. Found you on Mama's Little Nestwork, definitely following you and grabbing your button for my Awesome Blogs Page.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!