Once Upon A Time . . . I stalked

While recently exchanging emails with my friend and fellow blogger Nicole, a memory of my youth came to mind that made me chuckle. It was when Nicole wrote, “promise me, we won’t go on a stalking spree” that I had a flashback - pizza and records and John Tesh came to my mind. A moment from my past when I exuded a behavior I would now consider to be in such bad taste and serious loser-ness, that of course I must share it with you.

Yes, my friends, I once stalked.

Now, before you call the authorities on me, or send an anonymous email to PG warning him of my troubled past, let me set the scene for you.

The year was 1987, when big mall hair with banana clips, swatch watches and cavaricci pants were all the fad.

I was 16 years old, and a junior in high school.

And I was in love. I mean, SERIOUSLY.in.love, with the man who worked at Coconuts Music Store on the corner of 95th Street and Ridgeland Avenue. Yes. Love.

However, there were a few problems with that Love. . . .

1. He was an older man (like, 19, at least)
2. He didn’t even know I was alive
3. And I think he had a girlfriend

But, my friends, it was LOVE.

I remember visiting said Coconuts Music Store at least once a week, just to see him (and therefore building up a really cool collection of music.) He was dreamy . . . a cross between Michael Bolton, John Tesh, and John Taylor from Duran Duran (hey … it was 1987, ok? Cut me a little slack, will you?) He had long wavy blond hair that some might now categorize as a mullet, but back then, was SO gorgeous. And he had facial hair – which most boys my grade didn’t quite have yet. He was so . . . cool.

I remember one night, sitting in my Dad’s Pontiac with my friend Karen, waiting for Mr. Coconut himself to close up the record store. We waited and watched, because where ever he was going, we were going, too. I remember following him to a nearby take-out pizza place, I think, and then on to what I assume was his parents home. Yep, we followed him all the way home, where we did what any 16 year old would do . . . we drove back and forth pass that house about 20 times that night. Just waiting . . . For what? I have no idea.

And I don’t think I ever did it again. That is, I never followed him home again. But I am almost certain that my girlfriends and I passed his house a few times that summer. Just waiting for a glimpse, perhaps, of dreaminess. Ah . . . to be young and in LOVE. ;)

Luckily, 10 years later I married my TRUE love, PG. And never looked back again.

I rarely visit the old neighborhood. But when I do, I still glance in that store front and laugh when I think of the night I stalked Mr. Coconuts, so many many years ago. Then I put on my Duran Duran CD and dance.

Life is Good. Even when you stalk.

Comments

  1. Bahahahahahahaaaa. OH my.. hahahahahahaha..

    You know.. I think every teenager did that... at least once.

    PS - JOHN TAYLOR? Now that IS worth a good stalking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You only stalked once??? Really????? Now I really feel like a loser! I can't even begin to tell you how many!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Coconuts? Hahaha. My girlfriend stalked this guy once and she ended up marrying him. Persistence plus creepiness sometimes pays off ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cute! That was a young girl in love. I remember those days of wanting to go out with my friends and pass by a store with a cute guy I liked. I have to say that I really was stalked when I was in college. That was frightening! I hope you are doing great Leanne! When is your birthday? It is neat that we are from the same era. The eighties was something and the clothes we wore in the seventies! Ha! Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Embarrassing to admit, but I also stalked a boy I had a huge crush on. I knew him from church, but I babysat at a house not far from his. I would always drive a few blocks out of my way to VERY SLOWLY pass his house in the hopes of catching just a glimpse of him. And you know what? I never did. But that didn't stop me from trying!
    Too funny! I never thought of myself as a stalker, but now I know the truth. (And I also know I'm not alone!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW I HAVE MISSED YOU!

    I won't admit to stalking, but me and my BFF "accidentally" ended up in a neighborhood an hour away from me during winter break my freshman year of college, and passed the home of Justin a few dozen times. He played football and was just dreamy! Ahhh! The memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sweet, Leanne :-) In 1987, I'd have been in love with Mr Coconut too if he looked anything like John Taylor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe...what a sweet memory. I can't admit to stalking anyone. I was a loner, so I hung out with myself and my writing...even as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How silly. I once sent a fan mail to Ralph Macchio saying something like - I never do anything like this.

    Ah the days of banana clips and young love! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! OMG! OH.MY.GOD!

    I can't get past "95th & Ridgeland!"

    AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, let me get this straight: It's wrong to do this? Ummmm,, how about when you are in your 50's. Is it still wrong?

    P.S. Need answer soon--like before tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, you stalker you!! What a funny girl!! Hey, I tagged you over at my blog missy so head over there if you want to play, bring your sister along she's in the game too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh Leanne...I can't remember if I stalked. I probably did. But oh the memories...John Taylor. I remember seeing them in concert and they kept showing closeups of his..um, bum, on the big screen. Loved his hair! And Cavaricci pants! I haven't heard of them in ages...what a fun post again. So glad you ended up with your true love. :)

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is hysterical leanne! what teenage girl hasn't done that??!!! so funny, i could totally relate. the driving back and forth pass the house..waiting. for what is right??!! lol!
    i ended up with my true love too, and i never stalked him. it just happened, like god wanted it to...
    hugs...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!