happy valentine's day

                                  

I'm here! I'm here! I haven't gone far away, I promise. 

I've been working on some commissioned art works this week . . . one particular piece that I can't wait to tell you about. Until then, I just wanted to wish you all the happiest of valentine's days! A day of love . . . Sigh. Love. It is a wonderful thing. 

A few years ago, my in-laws went through a pretty big clean-up of their home and attic and decided to have a huge garage sale with all the things they no longer wanted. If you knew my in-laws, you would understand that a garage sale at their home would be full of the most exciting and interesting finds!! Their house is the funniest place ever - full of the coolest goodies, and I knew I would find lots of things at the sale that I would want to take home with me. Yes . . . I sure did. For it was there that these vintage framed valentines found my heart.

I can't remember where my in-laws originally found it (probably an estate sale or garage sale somewhere). They just decided it was time to pass it on to someone else, and the minute I saw it, I asked if I could take it home. The frame, itself, is so heavy and so well made . . . but the vintage valentines inside - those are what tugged at my heart. 

I don't know how old they are . . . I can't seem to find a date on any of them . . . but they are just so cool. Some of them indicate "made in USA", while one or two were "made in Germany". I would love to do a little more research on them. Perhaps some day I will. In the meantime, I love to admire them, the art and design of each one, and I imagine the people who gave them, and the ones who received them. 

When you open the frame, most of them are written "To Ruth". One is signed "from mother" and another "from Joe". One has Rhoda on it. But mostly, they are to Ruth. 

                                    

Ruth. I wonder who Ruth was, and if she ever found her Valentine. 

I pulled the piece out today and hung it in our kitchen, to be admired and looked at this season. I wonder if Ruth ever anticipated that this frame would be passed on from home to home, spreading the very thing on those valentines . . . Love. 

Where ever she is . . . I am sending it to her today. 

And to you, too, dear friends. 

Peace and Love. Today, and always. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!