Love & Art . . . A Beautiful Combination

What!?!?! I haven't written since February 14th? Shame on me!! SHAME!! I have written about 100 times in my head . . . but my deepest apologies for not getting it here - to the blog! I have so much to share . . . stories and photos and little updates on life. So let's not waste any more time, shall we? Today, I'm starting with one that I've been meaning to write for weeks.

I want to share a little story with you about a recent piece of art I was commissioned to make for someone, and a few photos of my journey along the way.

It's a little story about love, really.

Love & Art. And what a wonderful combination it can be.

It started with an email and turned into one of the best experiences I had in making art for someone. Truly.

The email came from Meghan, the dearest girl friend to my life-long friend Scott. Scott and I met some (eh-hem) 25 years ago, in high school. We were theater nerds together (yes, most of us in theater were nerds). Our love for the stage grew into our college years, when Scott picked me up and dragged me to my first Community College audition (I was completely scared and was not going to do it - but he wouldn't take no for an answer.) Scott has been a constant in my life - been there to see the good in me, and the bad. He doesn't put up with any of my drama, and has no problem telling me when I am over reacting, which is probably one of the top reasons why I cherish him. He is honest - true - and frank as can be. And I adore him, sincerely.

In the email, Meghan asked me if she could commission me to make a special art piece for Scott in honor of his dear mother, Frances (who passed away March of 2013). Scott means so much to me that I was honored to be a part of making something special for him. I thought this gesture by Meghan was just the kindest thing a person could do for someone, and I was so glad to help. Her idea was to include some of the words from his mothers journal, along with a few photos of her. But other than that - Meghan was open to whatever direction it was leading me to.

And that, my friends, can be challenging.

It is so hard when you are being commissioned for a specific piece of art, to know if the vision you have is the same as the person who is hiring you. After Meghan emailed me photos of Scott's mom and a few of the journal prompts, I was torn. What would make it special? Where do I begin, really?

So, I drew from what I knew . . . and it started with this house.


This was the house that Scott was raised in. I remember driving there once or twice for something . . . to me, it was the coolest house. A red barn. I was raised in a split level. This . . . was a barn. Well, a house that looked like a barn.

And it is there, where his parents loved, worked, and raised a family.

From the journal writings Meghan shared with me, I was beginning to know Scott's mom in a way I never imagined. And I was in awe. In awe of her love for her husband. In awe of her wit. In awe of her way of putting words together that flowed so beautifully. She was an incredible woman . . . I could tell.

And I was so nervous to make this painting.

So, I prayed. To God, and to Frances. For the help to make something special for Scott and for Meghan. To watch over me through the process. To guide me.

I wasn't sure how to start. But I knew that something would lead me . . . and that is exactly what happened.

A sky, the clouds . . . and a special note tucked under the grass in honor of her.

Mrs. Hayes.


I like tucking away little messages in my paintings. I put them here or there, on the back side of a piece of paper or embellishment. My hidden secret message to the receiver, usually. This one was to Frances, in honor of her beautiful life.


And no one will know it's there. Except for me. And the Universe.


I knew I wanted to include the barn. . . and a tree.

It had to have a tree.

Because I remember a story Scott told Phil and I once about the tree on the property of the old barn house. Both his Grandmothers and his mothers ashes were scattered around the tree . . . so I knew the painting had to have the tree and the house. And from the sky and hills, this is where the piece next took me.


The house was so fun to create . . . a piece of corrugated paper it created a great texture for the roof.


The words on the painting are taken from a letter Frances wrote to Charlie, Scott's father.

"You and I will take a whole lifetime doing what these small and simple birds do in a matter of months. I only hope we can be as happy and do as well as they." 


And "Here I am next to you. Here I am to stay."  Truly. Can you feel the love? . . . so beautiful. 


I cried when I finished it.

Upon my completion, I shared with Meghan that this is the time when the doubtful artist in me comes front and center, as I begin to wonder if it is all she asked for - if it is what she intended it to be. It was strange, though, how it felt very much like the piece progressed on it's own. And how connected I felt to Scott's mom while working on it.

I met Meghan for coffee a few days before Valentine's. With cold fingers and sweaty palms, I handed over the art piece. And with tears in our eyes, both hers and mine, she accepted it. I knew at that moment that it was what I wanted it to be.

That very evening, Meghan presented it to Scott.

The next morning, Meghan sent me the most touching email I have ever received, describing Scott's reaction to the art piece. My eyes welled up with tears as I read it - I felt as if I was right there watching him. And just thinking about it right now gives me this shaky feeling inside, when you are so proud to be part of something so special, you can hardly contain it. I printed her email out, and have saved it in a little scrapbook of my art. It will long be remembered.

Moments later, Scott sent me a message on Facebook.

"You and Meghan have touched me deeper than you'll ever know. 
This is the nicest thing that anyone has ever done for me."

That said it all. I knew he meant it. From the bottom of his heart.

And that is my story of Love & Art. It really does make a lovely combination, don't you think?

Thanks for letting me share it with you.

Peace.

Comments

  1. Leanne, beautiful art, beautiful post! Tear aflowin'!!! Yes, you are an artist!! And you reached deep within and let it flow thru your hands to make this for Scott. And Scott was so very lucky to have a mom who put her loving words in a journal so that they could be with him forever. Something for us all to think about for our kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! This is why I want to create. I love the stories and want what I do to touch people the way your loving work touched Scott. BEAUTIFUL Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was beautiful and sincere before, but I had no idea that you had a hidden note to Scott's Mom under the grass. I love that! I think it's the best work you've done and the piece that brings the most intense emotional response. Great work honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this. Your insight into the process made it even better. A hidden note? I'm speechless...

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is that I cried. At the sheer beauty of you and all you create.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was reading this in the middle of an overcrowded train station this morning as Metra announced delays over the speakers. Tears streamed down my near-frozen face for all to see and I didn't even care! (Here I thought the surprise was going to be Ella's odd attachment to the trash clippings from the project, he he.) I never expected such a neat secret! Really reminded me of your valentine's post about the lives of people you never met, but have in a frame! Thank you Leanne - from the bottom of my heart - for giving yourself to this shared endeavor! The outcome has been so much beautiful than I could have imagined! Love love love! Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so lovely and inspiring----what a gift! Besides the obvious, I mean a gift to me, to us and to yourself. I love the way you put this piece together and the meaning behind it all. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!