A Really Good Egg


I ran into my neighbor, Hollie, the other day.

Hollie is a good egg.

No, Hollie is a REALLY good egg.

There is a difference, you know? Between "good eggs" and "really good eggs".

I have a lot of "good eggs" in my life. Those people who you come across who you know are good people. Those who are pleasant, polite, kind hearted. My favorite barrista at Starbucks . .  she's a good egg. The butcher who reminds me of my Dad and always brings a smile to my face . . . he's a good egg. I like good eggs. I am happy when I see them, and am grateful for their presence in my life.

Then, there are the "really good eggs." Those are the special ones. The ones who you keep safely tucked in the carton and the ones you don't like to share. You never take those out on Easter morning, because they are so special and precious - the thought of cracking them breaks your heart. The "really good eggs" are always there when you need them most. They feel your pain, when you are too numb to feel it yourself. They have your back, when you don't even know you need it. They accept you whole hearted, and will never give up on you. They remind you of the person you want to be most like in life. Yes, I am blessed to have a number of really good eggs in my life.

And my neighbor Hollie is one of them.

As I stood on the corner of my block, waiting with Ella for the school bus to come by, Hollie walked over to see me. I haven't seen her in months . . . the winter turns me into a bit of a hermit and I don't see much of anyone in our neighborhood. But even though just a few houses divide us, I know that Hollie is there. She's knocked on our door at 11:30 at night when we've left our garage door open. She has often dropped off little goodies for our family. And she always has a little something extra for my two girls at Halloween time (yes, she often spoils them rotten in the 10+ years of living here.) But it's more than that . . . Hollie is real. Genuine. And you can tell she's a "really good egg" from a mile away.

She wanted to see me and say a few words to me about my blog last week. I forget that she sometimes reads my blog, and only after seeing her comment last week was I reminded. I have always said that my blog is cheaper than therapy, and it is my place to come and work through particularly challenging moments in my life. Sometimes I forget that other actually read it.  The blog she was referring to was a rather emotional one for me. She knew it.

As we stood on the corner of my block, she offered such kindness and support to me . . . that I was again overcome with gratitude for her presence in my life. As tears filled up her eyes and mine, I sat there thinking how amazing the world is. How sometimes support can come at the most unsuspecting times. And it is that support that can make all the difference in your days. We hugged each other and ended our brief talk. I walked away feeling so very grateful for her presence . . . this really good egg . . . in my life.

It might not be a couple of months until our paths cross again, but there such an remarkable sense of respect and gratitude for her . . . I can't even begin to tell you. We promised to gather for a glass of wine or a cold beverage while sitting on our driveways this spring, and I look forward to that time so very much. I am learning the importance of surrounding yourself with the "really good eggs" in your life. And I thank all of them. The LT's, MDR's, PK's, KH's, MJ's. You are my rocks.

And Hollie.

You will never know how much you mean to me. But I sure hope, if you read this, that you will have a better idea now.

Peace, my friends. And make sure you take care of those "really good eggs" in your life.

They are precious.

Comments

  1. Hey Leanne - it is an honor to be in your presence and you are the most "AWESOME PERSON" I know . Lov Ya
    Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to be publicly vulnerable, but it can be so good too. It can even help others who struggle with the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing never ceases to amaze me. you are so honest and real and true. you speak your heart. you touch our hearts.

    awesome post on "good eggs". I have those kinds of people in my life, too. I am having lunch with one today and I am so grateful for her. She is buying and i am so grateful for some much needed girl/fun time.

    Keep on writing dear friend.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!