Perimenopause . . . Seriously? Could it really be?

I tend to do most of my blog thinking in my car, either going to or coming from work. It seems to be the best time for my brain to be cleared of the day to day chaos that happens in a busy house. On my way to work today, I stopped at the ATM and waited in line to use a machine, when another blog subject popped in my head. The reason I came up with this right then and there, is because while in line at the ATM I found myself watching a woman get out of her car and put a SCARF around her neck. A SCARF. I immediately checked the outside temperature gage in the car (it read 65°) and I thought to myself, “You’ve got to be kidding me! You are COLD? You are putting a SCARF around your neck, and you are cold? I’m sitting here having hot flashes, I’m hotter than a pig in a blanket, and you need a SCARF!?!”

No sooner did those thoughts come out of my head that something else flashed in my mind . . . What in the world is WRONG with me? Seriously. I was clearly irritated at this person. This stranger. Me = Angry. So I started to evaluate what is happening with me that made me so upset with this nice lady (and her scarf.) I mean, this is not of character for me. I’m the one who has written on this very blog about smiling at strangers, dreams, and happiness. I’ve written of love and Christmas and special moments. And I was honest to goodness sincere with all of those past posts. This week, I’m just off.

So, instead of going to the doctor, I decided to do what any intelligent person would do . . . I self-diagnosed by consulting with WebMD. Alright, alright, I know. And, No, I am not promoting the use of WebMD versus a real life doctor visit. I am, however, being honest with the fact that I do NOT want to go to the doctor right now. I mean, I know what the doctor will say (lose weight, exercise, eat healthier, go for blood work, go for your mammogram, lose weight, exercise, did I mention lose weight?) Yes, I know all of those things. And I know that if I started doing just ONE of those things, I would probably be feeling 100% better than I am today. But, since I DON’T want to hear my dear doctor tell me all of those things right now, I consulted WebMD.

WebMD feels that I may be going through . . . Perimenopause. Wow.

I’m in my late 30’s (38 to be exact, and my buddy, Dr. WebMD, states it can start as early as late 30's - or anywhere between late 30's to late 50's), and I think I am experiencing every single symptom under perimenopause. Irregular periods. Check. Hot flashes. Check. Trouble Sleeping. Check. Emotional Changes. DOUBLE check. Headaches. Check. Problems with remembering or thinking clearly. Check.

Can it be? I know that I cannot seriously diagnosis myself with WebMD. I know that. I have a regular routine appointment with my doctor scheduled already for November. What is my plan until then? I am going to make a conscious effort to turn my life around, to a healthier lifestyle. This is not easy. I need to start by limiting the things that make it worse (caffeine, alcohol, stress, foods high in sugars and fats) and increasing the things that will help (plenty of fish, fruits, vegetables, get exercise and maybe try meditation.) And I’m going to probably blog all about it . . . as this blog REALLY helps me work through some things. Hey, maybe this will be it! A number of people have told me that I should write a book - but I have no idea what I would write about. Maybe this is it . . . "A Working Mom's Guide to Perimenopause through WebMD - in 100 Blog Posts" Could you see it? Nah, me neither. But then again, maybe I'll be the next Suzanne Somers for the Perimenopause Blog World. Hmmm. . . .

I am seriously interested in what you are feeling, though. Now, it might be that I am the only 38 year old NUTBALL out there (and believe me, I won’t be surprised if I am). But I am wondering if you find you are going through any of this. Please share with me. I think it’s important to find others who understand your feelings. So please comment below (you can be anonymous, if you’d like, so none of it can get back to you!) If you find that you are losing your mind – let me know. It will help to know that I am not alone.

Wishing you Peace and Balance.

Comments

  1. Oh, you made me laugh out loud!
    I've started the "take better care of myself" plan as well, I was tired of being tired and in just 2 weeks, feel 98% better than when I started. And, I'd read your book....I might not pay full price (see my blog post from today...:))but I would read it!
    To your health....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused, irregular periods? What does this have to do with punctuation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: "try meditation"... A previous post about pooping in peace might make the meditation thing a little difficult. But there are some great CDs out there to help you meditate. And then there's always the Gong show. Just know that you'll get through it (hopefully with no casualties!!). Here's to good health!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh NO, you can't have THE premenipause!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here I am, sitting at my desk trying to work, ok not trying that hard since I'm surfing the web and reading blogs, but still... you have me laughing out loud! Not to laugh at the stuff you're experiencing, but your posts are just too gosh darn funny. I too heart Dr. WebMD. He's such a good listener and can always squeeze me into his schedule, even tho I know he's very busy :-)

    Oh, and I like Peggy's idea of meditation - try Pema Chodron (http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/) I have five of her CDs and they are very nice.

    Oh, and sorry for the long rambling comment! back to work I go...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all for you writing a book! I'd be first in line at a book signing event :) Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lee - Im going thru the EXACT same thing and have made a promise to myself to consult with a endocrinologist for a hormone check - because thats what OPRAH says to do!! And she is just as reliable as WebMD, lol!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!