More Travel Adventures: Me, Mr. Wonka and a story about Chocolate

We’ve been spending a great deal of time talking to Katie and Ella about “Stranger Danger” lately. No real reason why – other than the fact that its summer time and we’ll be spending a great deal more time outside and therefore coming in contact with lots of new people. Strangers. Katie has heard it all before, the “Don’t talk to strangers”, “Don’t go near a stranger’s car” and the “Don’t take candy from strangers” (that's a BIG one.) Ella is at that age where she is hearing it for the first time, so it’s a little confusing for her, but we’ll work on it.

It appears, unfortunately, that I need to work on it, too. For myself.

You see . . . while at Midway Airport flying out of town last week . . . I did the UNTHINKABLE.

I . . . took candy from a stranger.

I KNOW. I know. I’m not proud of it. But let me just tell you that it wasn’t just any candy. It was Godiva. YES! And, it was GODIVA that is not even available in the market yet. SERIOUSLY.

Ok, let me tell you the story. Because, as I’m sure you already know, there’s a good story with this one.

While walking through the Midway Airport terminal on Thursday, I decided to stop briefly at a Hudson News shop to pick up some gum and water for my flight. As I perused the shop, I saw the coolest magnet you’d ever imagine . . . this magnet . . .


I had to buy it. I mean, it’s perfect, right? It was while standing in line at the check-out when a very nicely dressed business man took a look at my magnet and first spoke to me (I like to call him Mr. Wonka). “You like chocolate, huh?” Mr. Wonka asked. “Well, yes. Yes, I do,” I said. “I just had to buy this magnet. It’s perfect.”

“I like Chocolate, too,” said Mr. Wonka, while pointing to his carry-on bag sitting on the ground between us. His carry-on bag was, believe it or not, a HUGE GODIVA CHOCOLATE BAG.

“WOW!!!!” I said, “You really DO like chocolate.” We exchanged a few more pleasantries as he purchased his items and off he went. I then purchased my gum, water and magnet.

While walking out of the store, I found Mr. Wonka kneeling down looking through his Godiva bag. Turns out, he was waiting for me.

“Want some chocolate?” he asked.

Now, I want you to know I thought good and hard about my answer. Immediately my mind flashed to the dinner table conversation we had with little Ella just days ago. I could hear the answer we recited with her over and over as we taught her to say, “No, thank you!” I imagined running away from Mr. Wonka screaming “STRANGER DANGER!!!!” and looking for my Mommy (just as we taught Ella.)

Then, I did what any chocolate loving PMS’ing woman my age would do . . .

“HELL, YES!!!!” I answered.

Mr. Wonka laughed, and opened his bag to display chocolate bar on top of chocolate bar. He must have had 50 of them in there. It was at that moment that I realized Mr. Wonka must have just come from the All Candy Expo, a trade show that was taking place in the city this week.

“OH MY GOODNESS!!! You’ve been to All-Candy, haven’t you?” I asked.

“Yes, I have. I’m a Chocolate Distributor,” Mr. Wonka said, “here … let me give you this one. It’s not even on the market yet.” He handed me the GOLDEN TICKET. It was, in fact, a Godiva Truffle “Vanilla Ice Cream and Dark Chocolate” chocolate bar. Seriously.

I think I went numb. I don’t even remember what I said in return. I’m pretty sure I thanked him. Mr. Wonka stood up, told me to have a great flight, and walked away. And I quickly put the chocolate bar in my purse. I looked around – almost as if I was afraid someone was going to come up and grab my prize. But, no one did. No one saw me … except for the adorable cashier at the next store (a bookstore), who witnessed the whole exchange between me and Mr. Wonka.

I walked into her bookstore as she smiled.

“Do you know that man?” she asked.

“Nope, I don’t.” I answered.

“Did he just give you some chocolate?” she asked, as her smile grew from ear to ear.

“Yep, he sure did,” I answered, "and I just took it. I just took candy from a stranger."

“Well, it’s your lucky day, ma’am,” she said.

“Yes, it sure is.”

Lucky life, I like to call it. A VERY lucky life!

p.s. I don't think Ella needs to know about this - do you?
; )
Nah ...

Comments

  1. Oh that sounds heavenly...don't supposed you ...um...saved some? You know, for ME! JK - only you, Leanne, only you would run into the Godiva chocolate man! So, I think I'm going to start stalking, I mean TALKING to strangers with big chocolate bags, too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to run into Mr. Wonka too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky duck!

    What else can be said?

    LUCKY DUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Leanne, to say that I LOVE your blog would be such an understatement. I was dropping by to tell you thank you so much for the comment you left and didn't realize that I missed a post from you today. So OF COURSE I had to read it. I'm still trying to get water off the monitor from the vision of you yelling "Stranger Danger" through the airport!!!!! Thank you for making me laugh so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooooo, how was the Vanilla Ice Cream and Dark Chocolate??? Do share, my dear!!
    And, you're right, it's best if Ella doesn't know about this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are describing a dream. I picture the story with a white haze around it, just heavenly! It is like he is some chocolate angel right out of a movie. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it was Godiva so it doesn't count. I always told my children not to take candy from strangers unless it was high quality stuff and then to give it directly to me.

    Besides, you probably made this guy's day! You did the right thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are just darling, Leanne!! When are we gonna meet?!?!?

    This story is so FUN! And it makes me want to go watch Willy Wonka again..{the original, cause it is the BEST}.

    Ya' know I think you have all these wonderful things happen to you because you are just such a NICE, GENUINE person. Seriously.

    Oh, how was the chocolate??

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you ARE the luckiest girl in the world! What a delightful tale to read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!