Shhhhhh . . . it's a secret!

And I only feel safe sharing it with you today, because the person I am hiding this secret from will be seeing me in about 10 minutes (from when I will schedule this post!) OOoooooo . . . . don't you LOVE secrets?
I've been hiding a BIG one.

As you are reading this . . . I am heading to Brooklyn, New York (all the way from the Windy City) to SURPRISE my Godson and his Mommy and Daddy, at his 1st Birthday Party!!!! OOOoooooo! Isn't it FANTASTIC?!??!??!

You see . . . a couple years ago, these very same people (my Godson's Mommy and Daddy) came all the way to Chicago to attend my Ella's 1st birthday . . . and THEY surprised ME. So, this year . . . I am returning the favor!!! They asked us a while ago if we thought we'd be able to make the trip to NY (by the way . . . I LOVE NEW YORK!!!), however, and in all honesty . . . we did not thing we could swing it (finances, you know.) So, on a wish and a prayer . . . last week my PG worked some * * MIRACLES * * with miles and points . . . and arranged our airfare, rental and hotel for 1 night in the BIG APPLE! WAHOOOOO!!!!

We arrive at 11:50 AM and will head directly to the restaurant where my Godson Carlo, and his family and friends, will be celebrating his 1st Birthday. We'll yell "SURPRISE!!!!" and hug and cry. And then . . . I will give Carlo and his Mommy and Daddy something special I've been working on.

A very special gift.

Baby Carlo's grandfather was John (we'll call him Grandpa John). Grandpa John was my husband's step-father (and my father-in-law.) Grandpa John was a WONDERFUL man, who left this world way too soon (at the age of 63 . . . and 3 years BEFORE Baby Carlo joined us.) Grandpa John not only left a wonderful legacy for all of us . . . he also left us his OWN baby shoes.

Can you believe it?

So, around the time dear Baby Carlo joined us, my dear mother-in-law told me about these baby shoes of Grandpa John's. I asked her if she would mind if I put together a little gift for dear Baby Carlo with his Grandpa John's shoes, and she said yes.

So, here is the special gift I will Baby Carlo (and his Mommy and Daddy).

I'm so proud of how this gift came out. I called upon my dearest from Peggy for help . . . and with just a couple thoughts of what I wanted it to say, Peggy wrote the absolutely PERFECT poem to accompany the shoes (check out Peggy's Blog "Small Steps to Giant Leaps"). Peg is a gifted and talented soul (not to mention one fantastic human being) who knew EXACTLY what I wanted to say, and helped put the words together for me. The poem reads (and get out your hankie):

These shoes belong to Grandpa John, when he was very small.
They took him many places, and he'd explored them all.

And with the thousands of steps he took in each little tiny shoe
the walk of an honorable man began, who lived a life of truth.

Soon you'll be walking big and tall, and playing in the park.
You'll jump through puddles, run and climb, from morning until dark.

And while these shoes are a symbol of the the thousands of steps you'll take,
they are also a remnder that the path you walk is from decisions that you make.

Know your guardian angel, Grandpa John, will be with you wherever you go.
He'll always be watching over you, protecting you as you grow.



A very special THANKS to Peggy, for her heart-warming words. I can't wait to give this to Maria, Angelo and Baby Carlo! Think of me, friends! I'll share my adventure with you when I return next week!! And in the meantime . . . remember . . . Shhhhhh . . . it's a secret!!!! ; )

Comments

  1. Love the shadow box and I love suprises. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Leanne!! Thanks so much for the kind words!! I can't wait to hear how Maria and Angelo enjoy your beautiful creation. LOVE the way the shadowbox turned out!! And I'm excited to know that you are surprising the whole family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful!!! Have a fantastic time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just the sweetest thing!! Going to NYC to surprise them AND this amazing gift and that POEM!! BEAUTIFUL!! Can't wait to hear all about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Leanne...I think I emailed you but maybe not....would you email me at

    leslieackman@yahoo.com

    I want to interview you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing way to celebrate a surprise visit and such a wonderful shadow box gift you created. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Leanne! Stopping over form Lady Bloggers Society, and I am now following you. I love this shadowbox you did--so precious! As you'll find out, shadowboxes are kind of an obsession of mine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!