From Red to White

"Hey. . . "

"Hi," I said, "how are you?"

"Well, it's a bad day for our house today. . . " my dear friend, Kathleen replied to me yesterday.

Immediately, bad thoughts popped into my head; the dog was sick (or worse), parents were ill, maybe even my dear friend herself was suffering from something terrible.

"What is it?" I asked . . . bracing myself for the words I knew would change my life forever.

"I'm allergic to red wine," she said.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Say it isn't so!!!

I was right.

The worst possible news I could hear.

Ok, I know I'm a tad dramatic . . . but you are my blog friend, so you already know that about me.

But, seriously. This is Kathleen. MY friend, Kathleen. You remember her, don't you? She came over not long ago for dinner with me and the girls. Remember?

Yes, this is the friend, with the two bottles of wine. RED wine.

And now, she's allergic. I feel like I should have prayer cards made up for the occasion. But maybe that's just a little overboard. (Remember, though . . . I am dramatic.)

What's funny is that to know Kath years ago, one would remember that she was always the responsible one, taking care of everyone else during our roaring 20's parties. Often the designated driver, and not much of a wine lover at all. But at some point in our 30's, my dear friend switched over and started to enjoy the finer things in life (like, red wine.) But this week . . . all of that has changed for my friend.

"Hives," she told me. A terrible rash comes over her. Dr thinks it's the red wine.

Seriously. Could it be? I mean, we get together once every couple of months - let the kids destroy the house, while we destroy a bottle of Cab. It's heaven. Pure girl friends time filled with lots and lots of laughter, some tears, and a glass . . . .

We'll make it through, Kath. I promise. I'm here for you. And don't forget . . . there's always Chardonnay!

Comments

  1. noooooo! I'd be so upset if I was allergic to red wine! I remember months ago, they thought I might have a gluten allergy. You should have seen my dramatic reaction ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear allergies are never good! At least there's always chocolate... to go with the Chardonnay of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH NOO!!!!!!!!! Hey Kath (if you are reading this) -- I can recommend some GREAT Pinot Grigios!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a tragedy! :-)
    Seriously, the same thing happened to a friend of mine... but luckily she can still drink white and rose! Hope those work for you, Kath!
    I was worried earlier this week that I'm allergic to chocolate, after getting the migraine from hell after eating a rather substantial bar of it. I'm happy to report that was just a one-off as I'm feeling no side effects after a fair bit of Lindt-dor last night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Say it isn't so! Poor Kath...well hopefully you girls will sort out another fine beverage to suit her pallet that won't give her hives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hives? Are they really so bad, anyway? Sometimes a rash gives a girl a healthy glow....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe it will turn out not to be the wine! Stop for a few months then reintroduce in a small quantity to test, however by then your friend may have decided she lives white wine after all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tell her to try organic. It might just work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No RED? That means no Chocolate wine, either!! This is not good!!! Kathleen is in my prayers!!

    Love the gong, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel the LOVE!!!! All this support will get me through this tragic time (can you see I am Leanne's dramatic friend).

    I sure miss my red wine, but I am sure glad not to be itchy anymore with big red spots. Doctor said to try it again in two weeks, and see what happens. I have also heard there is red wine out there with no sulfites in it... I going to hunt it down and report back to Leanne on if that red wine works for me. Also, I heard of a white wine by Seven Deadly Chars. If you find it, let me.

    On another sad note, while spelling the word sulfites correctly, I TRIED to read it from the bottle and had to put my glasses on.

    When did this happen??? Age....

    Thanks for the kind word and tonight please drink a glass of red wine for me...

    Leanne's friend, Kath

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep.. I flush like crazy when I drink red wine. It's the sulfates. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How crazy?! And even more unfortunate!

    I just don't like white like I do red.

    Your poor friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Come on, what are a few hives when you're with friends, right! Am I right!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!