I Talk to Strangers

I can usually tell when I'm about ready for Phil to return home from a business trip . . . because it is usually around the time that I start talking to Strangers. A lot of them. I don't know what happens - it's like I crave that adult conversation and will look for it from anyone I see passing in the street . . . . or in the grocery store (that tends to be where I get myself in the most trouble.)

I remember a particular shopping trip at Costco one day this past summer, when Phil was out-of-town for work. I was walking next to a woman who was pushing a cart full of beer, wine, soda, bottled water, chips, and salsa. I very obviously looked at her cart and said, "Ooooooo . . . . s o m e b o d y is having a party!!!" Well, you would think that if she was having a party, she might have been in a festive mood right? WRONG. This Party Pooper (that's what I call her now) kind of glanced at me and said, very hesitantly, "Umm . . . yes." And walked away rather briskly. Being the ever so pleasant person I am (wink), I just shrugged it off and thought maybe she doesn't have her house cleaned yet and is not really happy about the party, and continued shopping.


During that same shopping trip, I came upon a middle aged couple looking at the Apple Pie. They seemed to be having a hard time deciding if they should buy it. I ever so graciously (yeah, right) . . . put my 2 cents in . . . . and said to them, "Oooooo. . . . you really should buy that pie! It's absolutely DELICIOUS and such a deal! We just LOVE IT!!!" (Which is funny all on it's own because I said "WE", yet I was standing there all alone . . . so I guess they might have thought the "WE" I was referring to was the many "WE" voices - IN MY HEAD! Ah well.) Anyway, they looked at me and . . . . . actually . . . . didn't even say anything to me in return. Which then made me think that perhaps they were visiting from another country and didn't speak English. If they were visiting from another country - perhaps they were trying to figure out what this dessert was. Perhaps they didn't even know what APPLE PIE was. Hmmm . . . (See, I can justify ANYTHING!)

I think it was after this encounter with the Apple Pie People (that's what I call them now), that I realized that maybe I am a little "off" and really should stop talking to strangers. Maybe strangers don't find me as charming as I do. Hmmmmm . . .

So, I've really been trying to limit my random conversations with strangers. Today I stopped at Jewel, rather quickly, to pick up just a few things. The girls were not with me, so it was a great opportunity to run in and run out. I was looking at the Ziploc storage containers and really focusing on what was in front of me, when I heard, "You are a Mom, huh?" I turned my head to see a lady standing next to me. I had to look around to see if she was talking to me, or someone else, when I realized she was actually talking to me. "Yes, I am." I replied to her. "I can tell," she said, "because you are rocking your cart back and forth while you are standing here . . . yet there isn't a baby in the cart. I do the same thing." I couldn't BELIEVE IT . . . . could I have found another . . . . ME? A "Talking to Random Strangers" talker? HOLY COW! I was shocked. I didn't quite know what to do or what to say. I smiled at her and said something to compliment her observation, and off she went. And I have to tell you . . . it was SO NICE to have that Ziploc Lady (that's what I call her now) to talk to. I continued my shopping trip with a smile on my face.

When I went to check out, the lines were quite long, so I decided to do the Self Check-out. I was waiting for one of the lanes to open up, so I stood patiently for a woman to finish bagging her items. I could tell she was rushing, on my behalf, and truly did not want her to do that. So, I said, "Oh, please don't rush. I'm in no hurry." She smiled back and said, "Thank you." Then . . . it happened. . . . Ziploc Lady brought out the "Talker" in me. I looked at Self Check-out Lady (yes, that's what I call her now) and said, "Oooooooo . . . . That ice cream looks good. What flavor did you buy? Oh, you can leave that on the belt and I'll just pack that up and take it home with me. Ha Ha!!!!!" and there you have it. Self Check-out Lady smiled, politely, then quickly gathered the rest of her items into her cart, and walked away.

And I was left there . . . realizing that this Talking to Random Strangers Lady (that's what I call myself now) can't wait until her husband comes home on Sunday.

Comments

  1. I confess, I too talk to strangers, especially at the grocery store! What is wrong with being a bit friendly, right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, you got me laughing! You are seriously funny and thank God for people like you who spread your sunshine around....some people are too darn serious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this post. My PG loved this post (he relates). He laughed his butt off!! We love your look at life, Leanne!! So thankful you're willing to share it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! This post just came so quickly to me, I had to write it! Phil returns home in 2 hours (Yea!!!), but I never quite know when my Talking to Random Strangers moment might start again! I DO have to go to JCPenney later. Hmmmm . . . might be the PERFECT opportunity to start a conversation! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely wonderful, I like to do this every so often. I shock myself, because I am so not a talker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog! I'm a follower now! Looks like I joined a fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember when I read this post out loud to our Scrapbook Girls in the Scrapbook Cellar? How I could barely get through the reading because the tears were running down my face from laughing so hard (heck, my eyelashes and mascara even went straight!) How we all laughed so hard!!! This is definitely one of your top ten best blogs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!