Top O' the Morning to ya!


Tis the season . . . for Being not IRISH!!!! Wahooo!!!! McDonald's Shamrock Shakes are BACK!!! (What is it about those shakes? Seriously, though - I haven't had one in about 10 years . . . and I have no intention OF having one this year. But as I was driving past a McDonald's this weekend, they had a sign up that said, "Shamrock Shakes are HERE!" and it made me laugh.) Yes, tis the season.

Yet . . . I am "not" Irish. Heck, I really should be. But . . . I'm not. Never have been . . . never will. However, one of my oldest and dearest friends is "my darling" Kathleen Mavourneen Touhy-Hughes . . . whose first, middle and last name each sound like a chip off the ol'Blarney stone. (By the way, Mavourneen is "my darling" in Irish, and Kath's Dad gave her that wonderful middle name. Kath's Dad was the most wonderful Irishman I have ever known. Just loved that man. God Bless you Mr. Touhy!) I remember way-back when, after sharing a few awesome St. Patty's Day parades with Kath and her family, thinking to myself, "Gees, I wish I was Irish!"

I spent alot of time hanging out at Kath's house when I was growning up. Meeting her in first grade, this Slovak (that would be me) was in awe that Kath could do the Irish jig and her curly black hair would jump for joy as her feet tapped away. My long straight hair was lifeless, but her irish curls were absolutely fluffy and fun. And her mom taught me some great lessons of life ("It's nice to be nice!" and "Give it Up to God" being at the very top!) during many afternoons I spent with them. The great thing about the Touhy's is that even if you are not Irish . . . you are one of the family. Their Irish Family. Even now - 30+ years later. Maybe instead of being not Irish, I can be "Honorary Irish". I'll have to talk to Mrs. Touhy about that!

While I am Not Irish, and while I may not purchase a Shamrock Shake this season, I will be celebrating the holiday as we always do - with corned beef and cabbage, irish soda bread (my slovak sister makes a MEAN Irish Soda bread, and I mean that in the nicest way possible!), and a visit to the City of Chicago's St. Patrick's Day Parade. We get all decked out in our best IRISH GREEN and PG, the girls and I will venture into the city for a day of fun and laughs. The company PG works for actually has a FLOAT in the parade, and we get to ride on it every year. So, we'll pretend . . . with all the other not Irish people, to BE Irish. We'll enjoy the day, say a prayer to St. Patrick, drink some Guinness . . . and oh, that's so fine with me!

For now - I have to run. Time to put "O'Danny Boy" on the IPod now! Happy 1st of March, everyone!! ; )

Comments

  1. I love this post and the tribute to our Irish friends "Touhy" and Mrs. Touhy. Another great post. Now, I gotta make that Irish soda bread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'mon Leanne...you know that in Chicago on St. Paddy's Day there are only two kinds of people. Those who are Irish and those who wish they were. "Honorary" Irish works!!! And I didn't know LT made a mean soda bread. But, what kind of Irishman am I?? Not a fan of that OR corned beef and cabbage!! I'll take the Shamrock Shake instead!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great...now I have to have a Shamrock shake. I love those disgusting things! I can't resist them though. They are the only reason I would go to a McDonald's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee- you know the only way into the Irish club is by doing a shot of Jameson and a pint of Guinness - so pick a day and Touhy n I will meet you at the bar!!!
    Happy St Pats month!
    Love
    mar

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post (tear wipe).... I gave my mom a copy of your post and she said, (and I quote), "Lee is already a honorary Irish person, in the name of the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, AMEN"!!!! Thanks so much for the kind words, my mom and I really enjoyed them... Hey, does this make me an honorary Sloviak, because I help make potato pancakes???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!