A Mom's Gotta Do what a Mom's Gotta Do!

So, let me tell you why this whole Leprechaun thing kind of caught me off guard. I guess, since Katie is now 6 1/2 and we have never done the whole Leprechaun contraption, that I never really thought (or prepared) for St. Patrick's Day. I mean, I've written about my wishes to BE Irish here, and I've shared our celebrations with you here, but the whole Leprechaun thing just kind of got lost in our house.

Until THIS year. As I've told you - on Tuesday evening at around 8:00PM, Katie announced that we HAD to put together a trap for the Leprechaun. Well, I jumped into action . . . because, why not? It sounded like a great idea. With an old box, some markers, a couple of gold dollars, and a wish . . . we had a pretty great trap. A short while later . . . the girls were in bed and I was sitting quietly on the couch looking at our design. Truly, a well thought-out approach to catching the Little Green Guy (aka the Leprechaun), I thought. Then . . .it hit me. Uh - oh. Shouldn't the Little Green Guy leave . . . something?

So, I did what any Mom who had two children sleeping and a husband out of town would do . . . as the panic started to set in, I ran to the trusty computer and logged onto Facebook to get some suggestions from those parents far more wiser (and more prepared, obviously) than I. Many offered some great advice, "Go to Walgreens or CVS and pick up a little pack of Chocolate Gold Coins!" Well . . . that would have been perfect. Except, let me remind you PG is out of town. So leaving the house at 9:30 pm with two girls in bed was not an option. I called PG and he recommended I call his Mom (Grandma Lill), who lives down the block. Although by this time it was 10 pm and something tells me a 911 call to Grandma Lill for a Walgreens Chocolate Coin run was NOT an acceptable.

So, I then went through the pantry (DARN that desire to eat healthier, which therefore led to a quick sweep and throw-out fest of all things chocolate and good for Leprechaun giving! Darn!!!)

Finally . . . after finding a lovely little poem about "Leprechaun Kisses" online, after discovering I had a box of GREEN cling wrap in the pantry left over from Christmas, and after realizing that I had a trusty pack of Nestle Tollhouse Morsels on the shelf . . . I give you . . . Mr. Leprechaun's Present.
Not bad. Not totally good. But not exactly bad. What really is best of all, though, is that Katie pretty much felt it was the BEST thing in the world! She even said, "Mom, these chocolate kisses taste MINTY!!!!" Gotta Love it! Ella just recognized them as CHOCOLATE, and she was all smiles from ear to ear! SO, my lesson learned this St. Patrick's Day . . . ALWAYS keep a little Chocolate Surprise in the pantry. You never know when you will need it!!

Comments

  1. Love it, love it, love it! (Although, one of your buddies on Facebook made a comment about the the chocolate chips being Leprechaun poop!) Seriously, we have to treasure these days with the girls, when they BELIEVE that anything is possible and make you think the same too. These days will be gone before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I've never heard of the Leprechaun trap, and I'm Irish! Thankfully my kids hadn't either, or they'd have been getting almonds....no chocolate or candy goodies in my house either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was adorable!!! Can I just tell you that I AM Irish. If you take a look around the blog you'll see i've got my daughter a.k.a "lil red" to prove it! Now I always threw a couple decorations out but NEVER did anything to show the leprechaun stopped by. That was until new neighbors moved in (and quickly became our friends and the same with our children) She would take green washable finger paint and make tiny feet print all over her house-the windows-the floors everywhere! She would also scatter gold chocolate coins everywhere like they were falling out of his pockets while he scurried around. Her daughter called excited and wanted mine to come see. Of course the 1st thing mine wanted to know was why he stopped at their house (they are hispanic) and not our house?? I told her he must be running late? WHAT?? I know- but what else was I going to say at that point?? My friend being the fantastic woman she is- ran over to our home and quickly did the same there while we continued checking out what the leprechaun had done at hers. Thank goodness for the people who are organized right?? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!