Every once in a while . . . a girl just needs a Dad

They are calling for snow in the Chicagoland area tonight. At approximately 12 o'clock, midnight, we are expected to see a few million white flakes fall from the heavens above. . . and rumor has it they will continue until about 10 am. I've never been one to listen to the weather experts - at least those in Chicago. So I am a bit skeptical.

But others believe we are heading towards the first big snow fall of the season.

Earlier today, I did a little Christmas shopping at one of my favorite places . . . Costco. LOVE my COSTCO! While walking through the store picking up bananas, a bottle of my favorite wine, brand new winter gloves and Christmas tissue paper, I noticed a number of people with new snow shovels in their shopping carts. At first I thought, "Gees . . . worry warts." By the third or forth cart, I thought, "Hmmmm . . . maybe I should check them out. I don't want to miss anything."

So, I headed over to the testosterone aisle full of power washers, packs of 30 shammies and 20 gallon packs of motor oil. There I found two shovels. One, on sale for $19.99, looked like the a good ol'fashioned shovel in a lovely shade of red, just like what I have hanging in my garage at home. The second, for $29.99, looked like some sort of architecture wonder of the world . . . bright yellow in color, with a handle that curved like a pretzel gone terribly wrong.

Of course, I reached for the "pretzel gone wrong" shovel, which was $29.99 . . . because that's what I do. I mean, more expensive obviously means better, right? ;)

I started to act out the whole "shoveling" routine . . . right there in the aisle at Costco. I wanted to get a real good feel for the shovel, and make sure it worked. As I pushed the shovel back and forth, I heard, "You don't need that one. Too expensive. Won't make the job any easier for you." And I turned to see an older gentleman standing there, with a baseball hat on his head and his hands in his coat pockets. "No?" I asked, "You don't think it's worth it?" "No. Not at all," he answered. "Look at it," he said, as he picked up another shovel just like it and started to slide it back and forth on the floor, just as I had done seconds before. "You still have to pick up the snow and drop it, and actually, this design will make it harder to get the snow off," he demonstrated. "Save your money," he said.

"Thanks," I told him, "you're right. I see that now." 

My Dad passed away 8 years ago this month, and not a day goes by that a thought of him doesn't pop into my head. Today, it was at Costco. Because even though I didn't know this man in the shovel aisle . . . I felt for a brief moment like Dad was there with me, telling me to save my money and that this shovel was not what I needed. And that is exactly what I needed right then and there. 

I strongly believe that we are surrounded by angels in life, we just aren't always open to them. Today, I had a visit with one. And for that, I am most grateful.

Comments

  1. That's a really cool story. WOW. Shovel. I don't think I have ever held a shovel. You ARE in the north. (Maybe I should visit when it snows.. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice man with good advice! It's nice to have someone to bounce ideas off, glad he was able to help you!

    Better bundle up!

    BTW, I Love, love, love Costco!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes ma'am!!!!!! (And in the south, that's a term of endearment and respect by the way ;-D) I believe that your daddy's spirit was right there in that gentleman! What a LOVELY story Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe Leanne, what a very sweet story...my dad passed away 19 years ago, and I still have those moments...yes indeed, sometimes we do indeed just need a dad...but isn't it nice that God sends Angels our way from time to time....Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, believe we sometimes see angels disguised as humans. What a touching tribute to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww Leanne, your story touched my heart. We share the same loss (it's been 6 1/2 years since my dad passed away) and I know how you feel. Yes I believe there are truly angels around us and our loved ones are out there looking out for us always.

    And I'm soooo excited your going to play along at my bag challenge!

    ♥Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! You know how I feel about angels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are absolutely right -- we encounter angels all the time, but usually we're too oblivious to realize it. We dismiss them as street people or Pollyannas, rather than hearing their messages. You clearly were visited by an angel -- your beloved Dad, watching out for you ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww! That's so sweet, and I think you are totally right in saying we have angels all around us.

    In other news, I'm totally certain you and my parents have crossed paths at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very touching post, Leanne. Sorry to learn that your dad is no longer with you in person, but it seems he always will be in spirit...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have listened to him too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Your dad sent you an angel to tell you what he wanted to say. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!