In 2008, I wanted Peace. I looked hard for it. I took deep breaths often throughout my days, and I found it. I meditated. I prayed. I tried to live with Peace in my heart, and put peaceful energy into relationships that needed it. It was a wonderful word for that year.
In 2009, I sought Balance. I needed it, bad. With a husband whose job required him to travel more and more, I felt like I was drowning between home and my own work, between being a Mom and being Me. I needed it to stop. I needed to focus. I needed balance. I said “no” to more things, and I said “yes” to things that brought something good to my life. It was a wonderful word for that year.
In 2010, I yearned to Create. The inner artist in me was starving for attention, and it was time I returned to my roots. I photographed, cooked, painted, scrapbooked, baked . . . I even gardened (which is the true sense of ‘creating’, don’t you think?) It was a wonderful word for that year.
Now, as I approach the New Year, I’ve come up with my next journey of discovery . . . and decided on the word that will help me get there.
In 2011, I Believe . . .
verb \ be•lieved be•liev•ing
1 a : to have a firm religious faith
b : to accept something as true, genuine, or real
2: to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something
3: to hold an opinion : THINK
The past three years have helped me focus on some really important things in my life – from choices I’ve made to living a happy life, to realizing the importance of creating for my spirit and my soul. This whole exercise of choosing a "Word of the Year" has done more for me than I really ever thought it would.
But when deciding on a word that fit for 2011, I struggled. Until . . . I found “believe”. Here is the thing . . . I’ve spent a lot of time trying to be a better me. I’ve written many blog posts about things in this life I am blessed with, and shared stories when taking a step back from it and reflecting on the true moments as they were. These things are all GOOD. But, if I don’t BELIEVE . . . then what GOOD am I really doing? So, for 2011 . . . I’m focusing on Believe.
Here are some of the things I believe right now:
• I believe that, deep down, there is good in all people
• I believe that my children can do and be anything they put their minds to
• I believe that love is all you need
• I believe that I am an artist
• I believe that someday we will all be united again
• I believe that if you treat people well, you will be treated well
• I believe that we are truly more alike than different
• I believe that people can change
• I believe that laughter is the very best medicine
• I believe that I am a writer
• I believe that everything happens for a reason
• I believe that raising children is the most difficult, but most rewarding job around
• I believe that I can do anything I put my mind to
• I believe that life is good
• I believe that if you put it out there, it will be returned
• I believe that there isn’t a single cheesecake that I wouldn’t like
So, in 2011 . . . I’m focusing on Believe . . . believing in the things that are important. Believing in the dreams. Believing in today. Believing in tomorrow. Believing in You. Believing in Me.
What about you? What is your word?
Join my linky below and let's BELIEVE in the power of the WORD in the New Year. Or, if you still aren't sure that the "Word of the Year" idea is right for you, simply read some other inspirational posts below to find how others are approaching the New Year.
I'd love to see what Word will lead you in 2011. . .
(The linky will be open until 1/31/2011, so come back and add your post whenever you have it completed. Visit some of the great "Word of the Year" posts below and tell them you read about it here!)