Resolution Schmesolution

I don’t like resolutions. Ok, that was a little negative - let me try that again. I like having a plan and firmly believe in having goals . . . but I don’t like resolutions. Ok, one more time. I believe that resolutions are for the birds (was that any better?)

I mentioned that this very time last year … it has something to do with those darn Bally’s Chicago Fitness Club commercials that used to air AROUND THE CLOCK when I was younger – reminding viewers to “get in shape” in the New Year. Augh. Whatever. I just ate 2 dozen cookies and drank enough egg nog to last a lifetime – do I need to see 6-pack abs bouncing around my television screen? I think not.

The other thing I dislike is pointing out when I don’t finish my . . . goals. Because, as the late, great, John Lennon once sung, “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” So, checking your progress is good – but sometimes plans change. And to me, change is good. So, I decided a long time ago that I wouldn’t do the whole “resolutions” thing here.

But, I would have Goals. Dreams. Plans.

And I would call them something else, too. Not a “To Do List,but a TA-DA List. (I had a TA-DA list last year and found that it was much more fun than resolutions. LOVE the TA-DAS! Especially if you say it out loud - just as you might imagine I would say it . . . 'TA-DA!!!!!' **insert jazz hand here**!)

My TA-DA’s for 2011 are new and old, as some are repeats from last years TA-DA’s. Some will work well, others will not. And . . . it's ok. Because, as I reminded a very good blog friend of mine just yesterday, we are all HUMAN. 

Last year, my list had 10 Ta Da's on it. Since I didn't complete all of my Ta Da's from 2010, I thought I would bring it down a notch this year and only focus on 8 goals. (At this rate, I'll have only 2 goals to work towards in 2014!) Ah, well. It's all about BELIEVING this year, and this is what I BELIEVE in the New Year . . .

My 2011 Ta Da! List!
  1. Schedule a little more one on one time with each of the girls, independent of each other. I think it's so important to them, and good for me, too!
  2. Finish that Big Picture Scrapbook class that I took in 2010 (yes, I did take a class ... but never finished the project. This year - I'm going to finish it!)
  3. Determine, and stick to, some sort of facial skin regimen (totally need this ... the old skin just isn't what it used to be and boy oh boy have I neglected it!!)
  4. 2010 Repeat: Remember BIRTHDAYS and SEND CARDS via US Postal Service (had such high expectations to see this one through - but somehow I just missed A LOT of them. Will try, again!)
  5. Take better care of my self  (vague, I know, but oh-so-necessary).
  6. Learn and do YOGA (not even sure my body can get into some of those positions, but if I start slowly, perhaps I'll conform.)
  7. Return to church . . . regularly.
  8. Write something, each day. Focus on the words and the message behind them. Inspire, whether here or on paper. Write. Believe. Write.
So, there you have it. My 2011 Ta Da! List. I love the New Year and these moments of clarity and focus . . . it is the best feeling. Feel free to share any of your goals in the comments. I'd love to hear what is motivating YOU in 2011 . . .  and HAPPY NEW YEAR, my dear dear friends!!!

Comments

  1. I love it!! Ta Da is so much more inspiring than To Do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TA-DAAAAAAA!! I do so love you naming it a TA-DA list!! I will look in my little BeautiControl stash to see if we have anything to help with #3, if you'd like!!! And I'll message you about #4. Here's to a very successful 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good! I don't do list, they demand too much from me. Looks like you are off to a good start though!!

    Happy New Year Leanne!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the celebratory ta-DA instead of the oppression of "to DO"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leanne, have I told you lately just how wonderful I think you are??? Oh my goodness... I love the whole "TA-DA" concept!!! And about your list: #1 - yes, vitally important. I still do this with my teenagers! #6 - Yoga is a lot harder than it looks, but if you stick with it (or if you can find a class that combines Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates that adds a nice variety to the routine)...if you stick with it, you WILL be rewarded. I've not stuck with it, thus I am still stiff as a board - lol #7 - YESSS! Vitally important as well, and I hope you find relationship and not just religion. :-) I love ya mucho!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love the idea of a TA-DA! list. I am going to have to try this myself! Watch out world!

    Hope your New Year is a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Ta Da's too, what a great idea. Wow I can really use a few of them on my own list...taking a baby wipe to my face at night is just not cutting it anymore.
    My Ta-Da's are to write more, study more, read more to my kids and watch way less TV. Oh and worry less about what others think of my writing and stop over thinking EVERYTHING!
    Happy new year friend. Big loves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ta Da - Love it! Happy New Year - just got home and just getting around to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leanne I am with you on the resolution schmesolution thing! I like to set a goal and accomplish it. Not because of certin time of the year, but because I need to do something and because I m ready. Sometimes I think resolutions set us up for failure because we make them because of the New Year's thing and we think we have to. I believe tht when people are truly ready to change things and set goals then they will do it no matter what dy it is. Your list is wonderful! I think you are right about the spending time with ech child individulaly. It will be special mommy time. I would love to do yoga also. I hope you are well my friend! Have a good night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, Leanne...I have a feeling most everything in your life comes with some jazz hands. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your first paragraph just cracked me up! I no longer do resolutions either, and find 6-pack abs on my t.v. at any time annoying. :)

    I am going to steal your "Ta-Da" instead of To-Do. I think that's wonderful! As for #3 & 5, I'm with ya - why is it so hard to carve out time for ourselves (that doesn't involve getting out of bed even earlier?).

    Lastly, I echo Doris' comment about number seven. Our pastor reminded us this morning that we're not a country club - we have a purpose. I hope you find that church leaves you with a relationship and sense of purpose, and that you are blessed by all your Ta-Da's this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year Leanne! Love your items on your Ta Da List...last year I tried out a Hope To Do List, sort of takes the pressure off as we can always hope to do even if we don't actually get around to doing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!