A Creative Idea to Capture your Summer Memories

I just had to share with you a little book I am working on . . . if you are NOT a scrapbooker, please don't give up on me (or scrapbooking) yet. I've got the easy-peasiest way to gather your memories from this summer, and quickly journal about your adventures. . . why not CREATE a Summer 2010 book?

Too bothersome? Too much work? Too crafty? Too expensive? Too . . . too . . . challenging?

I used to think so, too. I started scrapbooking when my oldest daughter, Katie, was 6 months old. For the past 6 years, I have gone to the crops (cult-like gatherings of crafty ladies with glue and ribbon), I have purchased the papers, embellishments, and rolling luggage bags. I've developed the THOUSANDS of photos (I'm not kidding). And while I still regularly meet with some dear friends for a night of scrapbooking - it truly has become more of a spiritual and soul-enriching gathering than a "scrapbooking" sort of thing. You see, this summer - something changed. I want to simplify. I need to simplify. I feel like I've drowning in a sea of creative chaos . . . and I'm calling an end to it. I want to get back to a faster, easier way of gathering our families memories, while still letting my creativity come out. I want things to be real . . .  imperfections to be loved . . .  and life to be lived. . . simply . . .

So, instead of waiting to do 12x12 scrapbook pages of the activities of this summer, probably 5 years from now, I decided to do it TODAY. Now. As it unfolds. And I'm going back to the basics, with just a few items.

 I started with just a few things:
  • a scrapbook album (I decided on a really BRIGHT orange, 8x8 in size)
  • a fine point Sharpie (can't do it without!)
  • a paper cutter
  • one package of die-cuts from K&Company (I purchased one from Archivers kind of like this one - it came with 180 little adorable die-cuts for $4.99 - not a bad price at all!)
And then, I went to town. I printed about 80 of my favorite photos from the summer, and started . . . with adhesive in hand, and adhered each photo on a piece of white paper (very simple - I like that.)

Next, I drew a few little decorative lines here or there (all free-hand) and a little piece of the embellishment . . . but I kept it SIMPLE. No ribbons, no brads, no bling. Just the photo and a little bit of fun. Then, I  journaled and told my story.

Some pages had very little writing because I just liked how the photos looked on their own - they were so beautiful, they didn't need words.
I embraced the imperfection of this whole project - allowing any mis-spelled words to stay as they were. It's not about perfection - it's about our summer . . .and capturing the moments.

So, I challenge you . . . collect your favorite photos from summer, grab a scrapbook, a sharpie, some die cuts, and a few sheets of white paper, and see where it takes you. And remember - it's not about a perfect page - it's not even about scrapbooking. It's about putting words to your photos and memories in a simple, quick way. You Can Do IT!!!!

Comments

  1. If I accept your challenge, I will blog about it. :p

    Honestly, scrapbooking is something that seems out of my reach. It is something I *wish* I could do! Er, do WELL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne - I have to tell you - I have 16 scrapbook - I hope you are proud. And I have to state something here - YOUR STORIES NEVER BORE ME.. YOU STORIES ABOUT YOUR KIDS ARE EXCELLENT.

    Did you hear me loud enough? LOL

    Silly rabbit! As for the challenge - Done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - My typing was atrocious. Please don't judge. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful idea. I tend to get overwhelmed when I think about scrapbooking, but I thing I can handle this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so horrid at scrapbooking type stuff...but I will crochet or knit you an awesome scarf! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea, Leanne!! If I had a summer of pics, I'd embrace this challenge. Instead, I'll gather other pics (maybe things I value from Leslie's 31 day challenge) and do a book of that instead. LOVE this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is where I am now, too when it comes to scrapping. Sure, I still enjoy doing a few bigger pages that are blinged out...but mostly I do these smaller albums with a few embellies and a Sharpie:)

    Your daughters will thank you for this when they are our age...and you will be so glad you did this.

    I am always so sad at those women I meet who sigh then tell me they love to scrap but are so far behind so they don't even bother! The other day at Wal-Mart someone told me that and I told her to quit worrying about doing everything in order. Just scrap what you LOVE!!!! She looked at me like I had 2 heads and smoke coming out of my nose...

    Thank you for putting this out there and showing us the beautiful details. I love your doodling:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am NOT a scrapbooker, but I like the simplist yet sweet look to your pages!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome! I love how you came up with a simple consistent design and got it down! It really shows that you don't need to spend a ton of money or time to get your memories down (though that part is fun too!). I love your handwritten journaling (you know I do!) and the orange book is fabulous!!! I must get one.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has come to my attention what a huge shame it is that your blog has to be typed and cannot be written in your beautiful handwriting!!! For reals! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your book looks great! I love the orange cover. You make it look like something I could do. So many scrapbooks I see have all the little fancy cutouts, etc in them. I like that this is not quite to cutesy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so not a crafty person. I will never make a book of memories. But I am drawn to people who are crafty. I could look at your designs and creations all day. Good for you...now come over and preserve my memories ok? I'll pay for plane and accomodations! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!