Embracing Our Differences

I'm behind in my blogging. I'm behind in my reading. I'm behind in my commenting (and promise to catch up on all of your blogs this week!!!!) If you've wondered where I've been . . . I'm going through another one of those multicreatively challenged times in life, when I seem to only be able to do one creative thing at a time. After a lovely Saturday of creative fun in the cellar, I've been working on scrapbooks, making decorative boxes (I discovered Mod Podge and wonder what I did in my life before it!) and doing little things here or there to fill my creative spirit.

But, as always . . . when I increase my creativity in one area of my life, I let another one fall behind. Oh, one of these days I hope to embrace all avenues of creativity at one time ... wouldn't that be lovely?

In the meantime, I seem to be embracing something different this morning that I wanted to share with you. Today, I am Embracing Life and Our Differences. To do this . . . it's time for a story.

Last night was a busy night full of preschool orientation meetings and plans to reconnect with some old friends from my own grade school days. I finished learning the ins and outs of Ella's school at 7:45 PM and was due at a refreshment establishment (aka . . . bar - it's such a tacky word, isn't it?) at 8:00 PM to reminisce with some old friends. I was running late (as usual), and I needed to get gas in my car for me to make it to the meeting place. So, mid way there, I pulled over and filled 'er up. While I was standing ever so patiently at the pump and waiting for my tank to fill up, I noticed the young man next to me seemed in a very big hurry and was acting very nervous as he anxiously filled up his car with gas, too. He was looking at his watch and shaking his leg in a manner that meant he either needed to use the facilities, or was going to be late for something as well. As I was waited for my car to finish, he had completed his transaction and quickly got in his car and pulled away, and I watched as he parked, not very far from me, in the next parking lot to a grocery store.

Hmmmmm . . . . I thought perhaps he was on the phone or sending a text or something like that. I wasn't quite sure what he was doing. As I finished paying for my gas and returned to my car, and just as the sun was about to set, I realized that the young man next to me had gotten out of his car and he was fidgeting with a white cloth (or large white square of paper - I couldn't tell). He had placed it on the ground in front of him, right next to his car. Now, I've been accused of being rather intelligent in my life . . . but I think I needed a brick to fall on me last night, because even after watching him do that, I still wasn't sure what he was doing.

I got in my car, started it up, and started driving out of the gas station. Only then did I realize that he was praying. Right there. In the parking lot of a grocery store at 8:00 PM on an August night. And I was in awe.

I remembered that my good friend, Nicole from Destination Unknown, had written about Ramadan before in a very educational post on her blog earlier in the month. So, last night I believe I was witness to someone, as Nicole said, who was doing the taraweeh prayers. He stood and knelt, stood and knelt, a number of times as I watched from my car. And I felt peace.

It really was beautiful - to witness someone in prayer. I had my camera in my car, and I wanted so badly to take it out and take a picture of him from where I was (about 30 feet away), but I didn't want to disrespect him at all. I thought he probably wouldn't understand that I was taking his photo out of respect, and for no other reason. But I decided it best to not take his photo, but just watch him a little longer.

I sat there watching him, a fear came over me. Not at all a fear of him, but a fear for anything to happen to him while he practiced his faith. As he prayed, I started to look at cars passing him and hoped no one would shout anything out of their windows to him. That no ignorant beings would come by and yell at him. That people would just let him be. Let him do what he wishes to do. Let him pray. I was worried for his safety, as I know the differences within ourselves are what make us fear one another. I thought about my dear blog friend Nicole, and her husband. I felt closer to them.

I think I would have sat in my car the whole time he was praying just to make sure he was safe, but knowing that my friends were waiting (and not wanting to worry them), I left after about 5 minutes of watching him.

I embrace who he is. I embrace who he prays to, and who he prays for. I respect that this young man is disciplined enough to do this in a grocery store parking lot, when I can't seem to get myself to mass every Sunday. And I applaud his courage to do this in a time (and place) when people might not be as welcoming to him.

I drove away thinking about how wonderful the world is. How the differences of us all lead to the most amazing experiences, if we'd only open ourselves up enough to receive them. And I felt so fortunate to have those few moments . . . . embracing the differences of another being.

Have you had any moments in life when you've embraced the differences in someone? I'd love to know about them . . . please leave me a comment and share.

Comments

  1. I am completely in awe of you. You are a good egg Leanne. A rare find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leanne,

    So glad you've been having fun with creative outlets!

    I loved this post. It's a reminder to look up and out of our little worlds and recognize and appreciate differences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanking Nicole for leading me to your blog~

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a truly wonderful post Leanne, it is a totally wonderful thing when we feel peace and can indeed embrace the differences in people. Sometimes we learn from them, other times, we just get a feeling of understanding, and with that we develop a sense of compassion. Loved this post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Nicole for sharing this blog with us. That is really inspiring thankful moments that you have been through Leanne, that we all may pass by but we never stop at it!
    Differences are part of the beauty of this life and embracing them is part of enjoying its beauty.
    Peace be upon you and all your beloved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leanne there is still a little lump in my throat from this post. It's quite simply....beautiful. I can see that sunset and picture you watching him silently as he said his prayers. I learn so much watching people from all walks of life, especially here in California where there are lots of opportunities to appreciate what makes us unique. At my son's school one of the students is a little person. And everyday when I drop my son off I love seeing this student just hanging out with his tall friends. No one gives him a second look. He gets into trouble just like all the other boys. And I never fail to marvel at how this simple act of observing someone 'different' just being comfortable with who he is gives me a quiet smile. Your words are beautiful as always my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, what a unique and lucky experience. i thikn it's so great that you saw him and viewed in a very admirable way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post,I felt like i was there with you ,beautifully written:O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If only we were all so committed to our faith!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post put me in a peaceful place. Thank you for sharing. And you are so right about embracing our differences.

    Now if I can just get you to remember to be in the moment instead of bringing the "what ifs" into the picture!!!

    You really are a loving person, Leanne. That is truly one of your best things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing this. No worries, I too am behind on my blogging duties, not from doing anything else, but from not having anything to do , so nothing to blog about. *SIGH*

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing thing to witness. Can't think of anything to share right now but If I remember something I'll be sure to come back and tell you all about it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post! And I've missed your blog so much! I can't believe how long it's been since I've been here...everytime I stop by you inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leanne...I know that we have many, many things in common. We have become such good friends over the past year. And this post. Well this post really is the clincher...we are truly alike. I mean 100% girl. You have explained how I feel about things. My family and I have gotten so much flack about the Glenn Beck Rally in DC. It can be overwhelming when people call you a racist and a separatist {i have been called both because of my involvement in DC}

    Anyway, I have always tried to be respectful of others opinions and have never treated someone differently because of their race, religion, economic status, etc. I mean come on!! I am a Mormon!! And I can't tell you how many awful things have been said to me and my family by our OWN family because of that!!

    Just wanted you to know how much I respect you and I love that we are such great friends.

    Thanks for sharing this, too. {i would have reacted the EXACT same way you did!!}

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS...I hope I made sense in my comment:) What I am trying to say is that I have always respected you and your views...and my respect just went up even more {if that was even possible} :)

    We live in America and that is what makes America GREAT. We have the FREEDOM to worship as we like. To vote as we like. To live as we like {upholding the law of course}. And we should be able to do these things with respect towards one another...without getting all worked up. That doesn't happen often {just look at the way the media is spinning the DC Restoring Honor Rally}...anyway...

    Love ya' girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!