Every once in a while . . . we really should listen to our kids

‘Tis the season . . . yes, school is just around the corner. And today it was time to return to Target and pick up the last of Katie’s school supplies. Well, it turns out I actually had to pick up most of Katie’s school supplies, as much of what I purchased earlier last month have been opened and used during our creative projects this summer. Ah, well. I love shopping for school supplies (especially when they are on sale!) . . . and this shopping excursion today was a particularly great one.

I couldn’t believe how so many of the bins at our local Target were already empty (or close to it). School does start in a little over two weeks, but I didn’t expect to have such a hard time finding things. That is, until I overheard a very Wise Young Boy as he shopped with his mom.

His mom was the kind of person who likes to read her shopping list out loud – and not just once, but multiple times. “Yellow Highlighters, 2”, “Yellow Highlighters, 2” she repeated over and over. And it’s not like she was saying the list out loud for her sons sake – because every time he touched something, she would pick her eyes up from the list long enough to reprimand him, “Put that down!” she would yell, “You don’t need that.” What's sad is that most of what he picked up was what she just named from the list – but she didn’t bother to notice.

Things really got heated when it came to the Index cards – 3X5 in size – lined. Both the Wise Young Boy’s Mom and I faced this particular bin at the very same time, both looking inside to find that every last index card had been purchased. This was the last thing I needed on my list, but I wasn’t too worried (I still have a couple weeks to pick them up somewhere.) But Wise Young Boy’s Mom was very aggravated that the index cards were sold out. “You’ve got to be kidding me!” she said loudly … this time she picked up her head long enough to make eye contact with me. I smiled politely, and slowly started to move away from the bin. “Well, this is ridiculous,” she went on, “where the h*** am I supposed to get index cards? Great. Just great…” she exclaimed. I wanted to tell her exactly where she could get index cards ;), like Walmart, Jewel, Walgreens, or CVS, but I don’t think she was really asking me, so I let it pass.

This is when Wise Young Boy spoke up. “Mom,” he said, “Why don’t we just look over where the regular school supplies are kept,” he suggested. “What are you talking about?” she answered (she really wasn’t very nice); “THIS is where the school supplies are, David.” “No,” he said, “I mean, over on the other side of the store – in the aisle where they usually keep this stuff. We should look there.” He suggested, again. “No, they are out of them, David. They won’t have any there. This is just great . . . now I have to go all over the world to try and find these d*** school supplies, like I’ve got nothing better to do.” (By now, I didn’t like this woman at all.) I glanced at Wise Young Boy and gave him a small smile, which he politely returned, and I walked away.

And I walked straight over to the aisle David suggested. Would you believe it . . . there, for all to take, were the Index cards – 3X5 in size – lined. I smiled as I picked up 4 packs of them, and tossed them into my cart.

At the register, I spotted David and his Mom. Knowing me, I couldn’t just let this go. I picked up one pack of the index cards and handed it to David, “Great Idea to check the aisle where the school supplies are kept! Thanks, David! You are a smart kid!”

His wide eyes turned from me to his Mom.

And I walked away . . .

I didn’t bother looking back at David’s Mom. But, boy oh boy, I wish I had eyes on the back of my head. I would have loved to see the expression on her face.

Yes, every once in a while we really should listen to our kids. Don’t you agree?

Comments

  1. Oh I love this!! I'm just like you and I would've done the EXACT same thing! The sad thing is I bet that mom probably didn't get it and just went on with her mad rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::Fist Bump::

    That's awesome!!! You totally deserve the mom of the year award for not only listening to another persons child - but then going back and making that kid feel better about themselves by bragging in front of their parent!

    Awesome girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bad little smarty pants...I love it. So sad she didn't have the time to listen to her son, it sure would of saved her some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you showed this boy some kindness and handed him the index cards. Makes me sad to hear Moms being so mean to their children and not listening to them. What is even sadder is that he will learn kindness but not from her...that's too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!!!!! Good for you!!!! And Good for David. Yes, we should all LISTEN to the kids, because sometimes, the kids are more wise than we are. I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! You handled that perfectly and it sounds like it's just what David needed, encouragement and index cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!! Good for you...poor David probably has to deal with Crazy Mom like this every time something doesn't go her way. What a sweetie, and he had such a good idea! Oh to have seen her face....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I wouldn't pay to be standing behind David's mother in line, just to hear her response.

    Kudos to you, Leanne. You gave him what my daughter and I affectionately call "poker chips" http://smallsteps2giantleaps.blogspot.com/2009/12/poker-chips.html. What a shame that his mom is missing out on enjoying her good kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now see! This is the kind of advice that I need. I'll have to remember this for when Tater gets a little older and wiser :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this! Oh, I hope I'm not like that mom! Although, today I snapped at my daughter to get off the scale at the self-checkout when it turns out the scale was flipping out about a 12 pack of Diet Coke that hadn't scanned properly. My poor girl.
    ~Jules @ www.adbits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet you'll never know how your comment gave Wise Boy a boost in confidence. His mom sounds like a real witch!

    Thanks for checking on me -- I'm back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to take David home with me! You did a great thing and made a boy's day! You made my day too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is SOOOOO awesome! I'm glad you did that! That kid is smart and a problem solver...clearly 2 traits he must an inherited from his father.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! I know some parents can seriously go off the deep-end with school supply shopping... it's certainly a good thing that boy could keep a level head!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to tell you I think your blog is so great! I spotlighted it in a blog hop today. If you want to check out all the blogs spotlighted there is a list at www.kindredspiritmommy.com

    ~Jules @ www.adbits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have been spotlighted on Spotlight Saturday Blog Hop. Come join the blog hopping fun at www.betweenthelines-kel.com.

    Have a great weekend!
    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post and what a smart little boy! I love shopping for school supplies too - I can't go near a Staples or Office Depot without dropping major books - and my kids aren't in real school yet! I can't wait until they are so I can justify going supply crazy. LOL

    Found you from Spotlight Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! New reader here :) Please follow me back at my blog The Nutritionist Reviews and Giveaways:

    http://couponclippingnutritionist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Following you from Spotlight Saturday Blog Hop. Love if you would follow me back :)

    http://www.smileadaygiveaways.blogspot.com

    Also stop in for our Big READY for BABY Event
    August 23-28th over 40+ fabulous sponsors! You
    can see a list on our blog!

    Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always consider it lucky to be the #100 follower! :)
    Visiting from Spotlight Saturday!
    Please follow me back @
    www.threejewelsinmycrown.blogspot.com and I would like to spotlight
    www.thismomloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!