Helping One Another (Love Thy Neighbor)

I have a neighbor across the street who I really don't know very well. I'm not proud of this, since I'd like to think of myself as an outgoing and welcoming person. But we've never really gotten to know each other. What I do know about her is that her name is Theresa (I know this because our mail lady has accidentally given me her mail once or twice). I know that she has a pleasant smile and wave, as we often find ourselves greeting each other with a smile and wave when checking our mail. I know that together we can shovel a driveway very quickly, as we both have found ourselves helping each other dig out from some crazy Chicago winters. And I know that we both like to talk about the weather, which is what we usually talk about when we are helping each other dig out from these crazy Chicago winters. I know she is single, and she appears to be in her late 40's, early 50's. I know she has a close knit family, because I often see them coming and going from her home. And I know that she seems like a really nice person. But that's about it. I don't really know much else about her.

Oh, except that her father is dying.

I know this, because her father has been living there for a few months, and I've seen nurses and family in and out so regularly that I swear her front door revolves. Last week an ambulance took her fragile father out of her home, and a few days ago, he returned. When I saw her brother (who has been spending each day at the home caring for the father, while Theresa is at work), he said that it was only a matter of time. They brought him home, to die.

Today when I returned home from work, I found my street full of strange cars, and saw lots of faces I had never seen before, walking in and out of Theresa's home. My heart was heavy, for I knew that either he has passed, or was close to it.  My Mom brought Ellie home (after watching her today while I worked), and we learned that Theresa's father was visited by Hospice earlier today, and that he isn't expected the make it through the night. I sat on my couch telling my Mom that I had to do something for my neighbor. Something. I remember, all too well, the feeling when my own father passed. I felt so helpless that my neighbor across the street was going through something so difficult, that I had to do something. So, together Mom and I came up with a plan to bake.  Mom ran to the store to buy some throw away pans to put the baked goods into, and I baked. Banana cake and brownies.

Katie was a bit confused as to why we were baking for our neighbor. "Because, when we see someone is going through a hard time, we should help them," I told her. "It's important to help each other. You never know when you might need someone. And I think our friends across the street would so appreciate this gesture from us."  And all of a sudden, she understood.

Just a few minutes ago, Katie and I delivered the goodies to Theresa's brother, who was outside taking a break from the emotions inside the house. I was so proud of Katie, because as we walked across the street, a bunch of her friends and neighborhood kids were playing down the block. Usually, Kate would want to run and play with them. But this time, she knew that what we were doing was much more important than playing with her friends. She held her head high and walked with me across the street - focused on what we were doing . . . helping someone. After handing over the two trays of baked goods, we turned and walked, hand in hand, back home. "Mom, I'm really glad that we did that," Katie said, "we did a really nice thing, Mom." "Yes, honey," I agreed, "we did a very nice thing."

I tell you all of this today, not to hear "Oh, yes, that was so nice of you ... " or anything of the sort. I tell you this as a gentle reminder that we are not alone in this world. And while we go about our days, there may be someone right in front of us who is going through something . . . awful. I'm reminding myself, too, that in the midst of my "who am I" drama of this week . . . in the end, it doesn't really matter - does it? All that matters is that I was a good person while here on this earth - that I treated others with love, kindness and respect, and that even in the midst of my drama, I was able to stop enough to recognize that it is not all about me. What a lesson I learned.

Tonight, I am saying a prayer for Theresa and her father. I ask you to keep them in your thoughts. Life is the most precious gift, and it can be gone so quickly. The biggest thing I can teach my children is that we need to be good to each other, every single day. That no matter how well we may or may not know each other, some day we may all need one another. I hope today is a day my children will never forget. I know I won't.

Today's PSA:
To read a really great post - pop over to my sister's blog at "The Adventures of Mr. CT and Me", where my sister shares a really great "kindness" story that took place at the unemployment office. My sister is brand new to the blogging community - and I am so proud of her for stepping out of her comfort zone and opening herself up to all of us bloggers. Her story is sweet and kind, and a great accompaniment to helping one another.

Comments

  1. This is such a sweet post, and something we all need to think more about. We get so busy in our daily lives and Chaos (!) we tend to forget what others may need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an important message for us all.

    Beautiful post by a beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely thing you did for your neighbor. I'm sure God will bless you and your family for your thoughtfulness and generosity.

    (((HUGS))) Will definitely lift the family up in prayer tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babe - I am so grateful that you are such a wonderful mother to our children and I am grateful to have you in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just know I love you and am glad your and Phil's girls have such a wonderful role model - Hugs to you,Phil and the girls . . .

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful reminder, Leanne. I'm sure your thoughtfulness was an encouragement to this family.

    p.s.
    I got my viva la juicy at Nordstrom's Rack...much cheaper. It's also at Macy's!

    p.p.s.
    You need to set up an email account so you can get your comments to your email. That way you can reply to others comments who have done the same and they can reply to your comments without doing so right on your comments page. Do you notice how I say you NEED to do this! :) What I meant is...it is very convenient.;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a post! You are right about not knowing what someone may be going through. That is why I try my best to smile at others and be kind. You never know if they might really need it. It seems like such a small gesture, but it shows you really have a heart and care to some degree about "thy neighbor". It is funny how there are people we see in passing every day but don't really get to know them. I wish your neighbor well. You may not know her and have not really been close to her, but now is the time you can really try to get ton know her and simply "be there" for her. You might end up with a really great friend. Have a good day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. It is interesting that you wrote this post, because my post is about my Dad's passing twelve years ago and how much it still hurts and stays with a person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well said! And such a perfect lesson for the girls.
    We are not alone. Every person has a story behind their actions. And anyone you meet can be hurting about something. It's God's role to judge, and it's our role to be compassionate. Katie got a good lesson in that, and we all got a good reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is such a beautiful post, Leanne. And I think it speaks volumes that you made a point to do something because you didn't have any kind of real relationship with your neighbor. It would have been very easy to not try to help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great act of kindness. Truly. Acts of kindness is something that we all need to remember and do on a daily basis - no matter how big or small the act may be. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great post, and I'd like to say a big thanks to you for reaching out to your neighbor, the world needs more people like you!

    -Lady Fromage
    http://ladyfromage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanx for sharing such an awesome post God Bless:O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So wonderful Leanne. Not only to reach out to your neighbor but what a wonderful example you are setting for your children. Prayers for your neighbor and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are such a wonderful person! A kindred spirit as I would have done the same thing. Thanks for sharing...OH and I went to your sisters blog and read hers and left a lengthy comment as to my own little random acts of kindness lately.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing mother you are, simply amazing! Your girls are so, so blessed to have such a wonderful role model!

    This post warmed my heart, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful words worth remembering always. I just read your update and I'm so sorry to hear about Theresa'a father. I neighbor like you would be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful post made me tear up, very well writen and what a great example you are to your daughter. Its so hard to step outside ourselfs and do for others but in the end it is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!