My Most Prized Possession

I am not one to put value on material things in life. . . I recognize my life is blessed with a richness far beyond what house I live in or the car that I drive. However, I do have one possession that I have come to honor much more than I ever thought I would. Did I ever share with you my very most prized possession? The one object that truly means the most to me? The object that brought tears to my eyes when received, and the thing I would be most heartbroken over if ever lost or damaged?

Here it is . . .
This little statue. It brings tears to my eyes just looking at it right now.

I first saw this little angel about one year after my Dad passed away. Katie was about 6 months old and PG and I were at a nearby mall doing some quick Christmas shopping when we went into a little gift store and saw this little angel. I must have been extremely hormonal at the time . . . because I started crying the minute I read it.  Ok, it wasn't the hormones. It was the words . . . it reads:
Perhaps
they are
not stars in
the sky
but rather
openings where
our loved ones
shine down to let
us know they
are happy.

I stood in that store, and cried. I couldn't control myself. My father had passed less than one year before this time, I was a new Mom with a 6 month old, and the thought of my Dad shining down to let me know he was happy just about did me in.

But, we didn't buy it.

We were in between paychecks, we had a new baby, we were adjusting to me working part-time, and it was the holidays. PG and I had already said we were not exchanging gifts that year. The last thing I "needed" was this statue. I "needed" baby food, diapers, and gifts for other family members. I didn't "need" this angel. Even though it was only $20, and even though PG tried to convince me to purchase it, I wouldn't let it happen. So, we left.

Fast forward one month later . . . and Christmas Day. I had actually forgotten about this angel. But . . . PG did not. I think he actually found it online and ordered it, all without me knowing. Now THAT is a good man. The minute I opened the box, tears filled my eyes. I cried and cried. To this day, I think of this angel - and my dad smiling down on me, and my heart is filled with such love.

Yes, THIS is my most prized possession.

This weekend, I walked into my bedroom to find the girls were playing store. Now, for the record, they usually do NOT play in my room. They know that Mommy and Daddy's room is off limits (I mean - they pretty much have control of the rest of the house . . . I need at least one space of quiet and solitude, right?) So, I walked in and saw that they moved my angel. I just about hit the roof. They were very cautious with it (or so they said), but I have visions of them jumping on my bed using it as a microphone singing a Hannah Montana song into it, swinging it around like they were Steven Tyler himself. Yes ... that darn imagination of mine got the best of me. So, I picked it up like it was a newborn baby and returned it to my TALL dresser, where it usually sits. I then asked both of the girls to sit very still on my bed as I knelt in front of them to discuss the importance of this statue.

"Mommy?" Ella asked, "Is it heaven?"

"Well," I answered, "not really. But it is as close to heaven as Mommy can imagine. So, it's really important to me. And it's really important that we are gentle with it. That we don't move it, or touch it, or play with it, ok? If you want to see it - just ask me. I will bring it down and let you look at it. ok?"

They both nodded their heads in agreement. I'm fairly sure they understood. (fingers crossed.)

How about you? Anything object in your life that makes you feel like this? I'd love to know . . .

Comments

  1. what a lovely post! I just about cried reading it. Had I read those words after my Dad passed away, I would indeed have been reduced to tears as well. I don't have much in the way of material possessions but I do have a beautiful musical globe that my daughter bought me one year for Christmas that I hold near and dear to my heart. I may just have to blog about it...Hugs my friend...I can feel how very special that Angel is for you...and those words, that sentiment...what a lovely expression...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? I can't even think about anything right now except how exceptionally beautiful it was how you dealt with talking to your kids about this treasure of yours! Beautiful momma, you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful.
    My dad spent 25 years as a firefighter in Washington, DC and he wore a necklace with a protection charm from his religion around his neck, under his uniform, every day. When he retired, he gave it to me.

    Also, from my mom I have a big sandcastle candle holder that she gave me when she was alive, knowing I love all things beachy.

    The wedding and engagement rings I wear belonged to my husbands mom, who passed away when he was only a toddler. I think of this woman I never knew, and am thankful every day for the gift she gave to me in the form of her son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, I laughed, I smiled, I nodded. I love the part about envisioning the girls jumping on the bed using it for a microphone singing Hannah Montana...I can see my girls doing the same thing.

    My fave posession:a robin's nest necklace. The picture is in this post here: http://jodeneshaw.blogspot.com/2010/05/mothers-day-2010.html

    Jan at Hazelnut Cottage made it and it was in her Etsy shop and I fell in love with it...3 eggs for 3babies. And I have an entire "robin" story that I need to write and post to give the fullness of the meaning. But I was like you...showed my husband and forgot...but he didn't. What a good man!

    thanks for sharing.
    grace,
    ~jodi
    P.S. I love my blog button! We are taking a vacation for a few days, so I'll pick up your Starbucks on my way home and mail it...you should get it next week after I get home. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. there is a little something for you at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I feel this way about the little ceramic hand and foot prints the hospital does for you after your baby is born. I only remember bits and pieces, for some reason (maybe the pain) my memory is really foggy. It felt like forever and a couple of seconds at the same time. Anyhow, every time I see the plaques I remember how I felt when they were placed on my stomach for the first time. I had no idea that my heart could be so full.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Steven Tyler...lol you know they did. Your husband is so awesome to remember, and get that gift for you. After that talk you had with your girls I imagine they will love it to and treat it with TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw,I loved this post. And the saying on the statue is lovely.

    Your hubs is a great guy for remembering what you needed, and getting it for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely lovely! I have something for you at Phantasmagorical Literarium!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Leanne, this was just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Leanne, this post made me tear up, too! Your statue is more than just a statue....it's so many things. And as a bonus? It was an amazing gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so, so beautiful -- the angel AND the story! We really are visited by angels all the time, if only people paid more attention ....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leanne,

    Just beautiful! I love how vivid you are with your stories...it's always like I'm right there...in the moment.

    What a beautiful gift. As you know my Dad died when I was 29...14 years ago. This saying is such a wondrous thought. Thank you for sharing.

    Have a wonderful Tuesday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet sweet post. I love that saying, I used it on my wedding program to remember my Dad who passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Truly a beautiful Angel.

    Little girls love beautiful things, I'm sure now they will forever treasure your angel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!