"Do Unto Others" when ever you can

        
"Treat others as you would like to be treated." I tell this to my kids . . . . over and over, like a broken record. I am sure they are tired of listening to it. But I will never tire saying those words. 

I think they are one of the most important lessons I can teach them. 

"Do unto others

It's pretty powerful stuff, you know? And words that I truly believe can change the world. 

Last week, while on Facebook - half reading and just skimming through posts of silly weather updates and inspiring art friends pictures - I learned that a neighbor friend of mine was in the hospital. Nothing too serious, but enough of an annoyance to take this mom of three kids from her home and admit her for a few days to try and heal her. After reading comments on her post and learning a little bit more of what was happening, "Dinner" immediately popped into my head. "I'll make them dinner," I thought. "As soon as she is home, I'll make dinner and bring it over to them." So without a thought, I wrote a comment and told her I would do just that. 

Of course, replies of "you don't have to do that" came back . . . because the last thing we want to do is to put somebody out, and she didn't want me to go to the trouble. 

But it was what I felt I had to do for a friend who was going through a hard time. 

It's kind of what I always do - get pulled to the kitchen and make or bake something for someone. When the neighbor across the street had just lost her father, I baked up a banana cake and a big pan of brownies for her family to eat as they came and went from her home. When the neighbor down the block had heard some bad news about her mothers health, I made a cinnamon roll coffee cake and sent it down. 

It's not always food related (although I am a firm believer in the whole "chicken soup cures the soul" thought), and it's not always when people are in need. One night a few years ago, we had forgotten to close our garage door and left it open. At 11:30pm, a neighbor came over and knocked on our front door to tell us (she couldn't find our phone number at the time, and didn't want to door left open all night.) We were so grateful, I went out and picked up a couple of movie tickets for her and her husband to enjoy. I laugh because with this particular neighbor, we tend to go back and forth quite a bit . . . she in turn bought Phil and I a bottle of wine to thank us for the tickets . . . Oh!! When will the kindness stop!!! ;) 

But I hope it never does. 

Because these simple acts of kindness are what make the world a better place. 

I often observe the harsh attitudes of others, and wonder "why?!" The synics, the negative Nelly's, the complainers who see that glass half empty - and live to spread their wicked ways onto others. 

Last spring I had a sudden urge to bake a whole slew of flower cut-out cookies. They covered our kitchen table with their brightly frosted selves, and made me happy just looking at them. Without a thought, I filled up about 6 paper plates and asked Katie and Ella to deliver them to a few houses on the block. As I finished covering the last plate, Katie said, "Mom . . . why are we doing this again?" "To do something nice for our neighbors, Katie." "Oh," she said, "ok!" And off she went. 

I don't know if she got it then . . . but I know someday she will. 

So Thursday, I made soup. A big pot of chicken soup, and delivered it not only to my neighbor who had just returned home from the hospital, but to my mom . . . who has been hit badly with pneumonia this winter. I was rushed for time, broke the bag of noodle all over my kitchen counter as I opened it, dropped a container of cocoa grabbing for some seasoning from the cabinet (which, inevitably opened and released ALL OVER not only the counter - but the floor AND my pants), and created a pile of dishes that took me a while to wash and put away. 

But I NEVER ONCE thought, "why am I doing this." 

Because I know . . . these little bowls of soup made life easier for someone, if only for a minute. These little bowls of soup made someone feel loved, feel cared for, feel less alone, made the world a little brighter during a hard time. 

And someday, I might need a little bowl of soup, too. 

Sending you love and wishing you Peace, my friends. 

Xo 

Comments

  1. And that container of soup from my beautiful daughter with a soul to match her heart got me through a bad few days. Thank you Leanne, I love you so much. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soooo right. It is those little kindnesses that make you the best and the brighten another person's day. Whether it is cookies, soup, or comments on a blog you bring sunshine to everyone and smile that lasts all day. I am so thankful for meeting you! Keep shining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way - doing kindness wherever we can.

    Also, I wish I were your neighbour. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!