My Dream Home Smash Book

Have you ever heard of a Smash Book? If you are a scrapbooker or art journal person, you may have. If you are not one of those types, you may not have.

I am a scrapbooker . . . but had no idea what a Smash Book was. That is, until my dear friend Peggy brought hers to our Scrapbook Cellar gathering last month. She introduced us all to her cool little composition journal, and the conversation went something like this:

PKHere is my Smash book.
Me: Your what?
PK: My Smash Book.
Me: Like, smash, what?
PK: Smash . . . things. You know. Like, stuff.
Me: What?
PK: See . . . I will put stuff in here. Junk. Things I don't want to lose, but don't know what to do with.
Me: Huh?
PK: Smash.
Me: I don't get it.
PK: Google it.
CE (our friend, Cindi, who just entered the conversation and saw was PK was holding): Oh, a Smash Book! Cool!
Me: Huh?
CE: Google it.
LT (my sister, Laura, who is right there with me): I don't get it.

So, I googled it.

And I found this YouTube video about it . . . and let me tell you . . . it is the coolest thing EVER!


I mean . . .that is COOL!!

So, I decided that I would start one (or two, or three, or four). The first one that I was inspired to start, was a smash book of our Dream House.  PG and I have been dreaming big lately, and talking about the possibility of some day building and moving into a new home - and little by little, I have been collecting catalogs and magazines about things that I would LOVE to have in our dream home. A Dream Home Smash Book was the PERFECT way to categorize and store these little ideas.

So, I started with a really cute little Vera Bradley journal that I bought on sale (50%) at a Barnes & Noble book store. I pulled a pack of stickers and papers that I had in my scrapbook stash, and will use that for this complete project. I placed some stickers on the cover the journal, and then added my own make-shift tabs for each room in the house, to easily locate ideas I have for that 'dream' room:

Here is a closer picture of the tabs labeled for each room . . . and also the first page of the Smash book, which I cleverly titled "Our Dream House" (duh):

The next page is a quick explanation of what the book is to me "A 'Smash' Book of thoughts, dreams and ideas of Our Dream House", with the listing of the rooms that we'd love to have in it:

And this is an example of what I will do in each section. Saved under the 'kitchen' tab, I just love the mismatched tables and chairs look of this picture I found in a home decorating magazine:

Anytime I see something that makes me feel good, a space that I find interesting or that I like, I plan on putting it in this little Smash Book. I love this chair and these books - and the framed work on the wall just next to it. What a lovely little space, don't you think?

It may be a long time before PG and I are able to build our dream home . . . but when we do, I know that I'll have this awesome little journal with such a collection of inspiring things that our home will be all that I can possibly dream of. And that is so cool to me.

I plan on doing a smash book of little things the girls give me here and there (like little love notes or pictures they draw for me), and I thought it would be fun to do one with grocery receipts and movie ticket stubs, maybe restaurant receipts and business cards of great restaurants I've been to. I'd also love to keep one holding the little cards I may receive in the mail from friends and family, anything that makes me happy.

PG better look out . . . I plan on smashing EVERYTHING!!!!

What about you? Do you think you'd ever start a 'smash book'? What do you think you'd put in yours? Leave me a comment . . . I'd love to know.

Comments

  1. Ok, so I have only looked at that Smash video on YouTube 157 times!!!:) LOVE it and YOUR Smash Book is the Bomb Diggity!! (like my Jacks would say).

    Soooooo love it and I want to do one, too. And making one myself....why didn't I think of that? You are amazing and talented and fab.U.Lous.

    Your Smash Book rocks {and your home is gonna, too}

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I'm lovin' your dream house smash book....lovin' it!!
    Love them all, actually. Really good ideas, LW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This issss soooooo cooooool. I CAN DO THIS!!! Yes, I can.. I really think I can.


    Oooh... you guys are the best for inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, since we had to postpone our Cellar session last Saturday, I did not start my Smash Book yet. What am I waiting for???? I am definitely starting my book NOW! Love your smash book!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! stealing idea! thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea!!! I love your handwriting by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! I never heard of this before, but I love the idea! How are you my friend? I just want you to know that I am around, but have had littloe time to comment this summer. I am sure as I begin to stay in when the weather ets cooler you will see me commenting and writing more. I am here though. I hope you are having a wonderful summer! Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  8. ZOMG. I am in love with this idea. I need a book to hold all of my inspirational quotes and happy things that I find to keep me well...happy ;)
    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. O..M..G.. this is THE funnest, coolest thing EVER! I am sooo gonna do this. I think mine is just going to be a "Life & Dreams" smash book, with all kinds of randomness. Girl, I really, really needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love it! I keep pulling out pages from magazines and sticking them in folders - hadn't thought to do THIS with them! I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my. I've been making smash books and not even realizing it! Like you, I have this vision of a dream house and have been clipping inspiration photos, sample paint colors, anything that catches my eye, into this notebook. How very cool!!! Now I want to have a "smash book" party!!!! Wanna come?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is a very cute idea. I'm sure you book is filled with lots of ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts from this blog

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!