THAT is ME


Boy, have I been messed up lately.

A hot mess, actually.

Not the hot mess like I was when I was sick last month. (Remember?)

No, this is just the normal hot mess me.

Does that make sense?

So incredibly cranky. Tired. Frustrated. Lonely. Bored. Exhausted. (Is it even possible to be both bored yet exhausted at the same time?) Hot. Short-tempered. Irritated. Ignored. Defensive. Just a whole bunch of nasty negatives . . .

blah. blah. blah.

I don't like the person I've been. I've been bothered by things others have said months ago, and can't seem to get past it. My defenses are up - the mortar on my brick wall has long dried, and I have no desire to take it down. I've got 0% creative ideas these days, I'm bummed that enrollment for my classes hasn't totally taken off, and the thought of even going away for a few days has me anxiety ridden at the thought of spending too much of the money our family needs to survive right now. I don't feel like being the nice guy. I don't feel like making every one else happy. If you cross me . . . say something to shame me . . . do anything to embarrass me . . . be careful. I'm fragile . . . but I will not allow it any longer.

Yes, I'm in a hot mess of a funk.

And I have been for a . . . . . . . . .  l . . . o . . . n . . . g . . . . . . . . . . time.

So, I put it out there. Boom. It's done.

I'm reading this book by Brene Brown right now. It is helping me . . . slowly. It's called "I thought is was just me (but it isn't)" Right there in CHAPTER ONE (actually, page ONE of chapter ONE!) Brene writes about work she did years ago at a residential treatment facility for children. She shares a moment when her clinical director addressed the therapists. The director said . . . they have to understand that they "cannot shame or belittle people into changing their behaviors". He went on to tell them that regardless of their intentions, they cannot force people to make positive changes by putting them down, threatening them with rejection, humiliating them in front of others or belittling them.

I know that feeling. One too many times. Humiliated. Put down.

For the record . . . ending an insult with love is just what it started out as . . . an insult.

So, I'm trying to get myself out of this funk.

I went out with a few friends last night. I needed it bad. We went to this wonderful cooking school in Forest Park called "Flav'our", and it was such a fantastic time. (I'll tell you more about our experience in a day or two.) While looking around the shop after class, I came upon the awesome letters in the photo above . . .
R E N E W

And as each of my three friends turned the corner and saw the letters . . . it was as if each of them knew I was struggling inside. "See?" one of them said, ". . . it's totally YOU."  "RENEW, Leanne . . . " the other said, "that's what you need to do." And, "Did you see that? It's like they knew you were coming."

It's funny, isn't it? When your dear friends can tell what is happening inside of you, even if you can't put it to words.

re·new  verb \ri-ˈnü, -ˈnyü\

1 : to make like new : restore to freshness, vigor, or perfection renew our strength in sleep
2 : to make new spiritually : regenerate
3 a: to restore to existence : revive
b: to make extensive changes in : rebuild

I need to renew, my friends.

And it starts . . . now.

Wishing you peace.

xo


Comments

  1. And that's why they're friends! Because they see in you what you resist in seeing in yourself, and stand by you anyway!

    Yes, Leanne, RENEW is a very good word to work on now. And when Brene gets tough to take in, as we know she will, just write about it and your friends will get you through it. And remember to tell the insulters in your life that your home is closed for renovation and you aren't listening to what they are trying to tell you. Period!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I turned and saw the word RENEW I felt like God was talking to me.. I felt as if he was shouting the word and telling me to fill my cup again. That was my word for 2013 and I feel as if I have not renewed as well as I have wanted too. I actually stopped, closed my eyes, said a prayer and felt God's presence, right then and there.

    Life is so precious and not to feel renewed is time not well spent. I thought about the word going to sleep and waking up. I thought about how those letters in the store were so big and yet had soft straight lines to them. I thought about the tea pot and cups above it, and different scented candles below it and thought of God.

    I was glad to be there with my friends, sharing that experience and that moment. I thought about how lucky we are to have each other, some people no one. To have people that support and love you no matter what, even if you can't cook :)

    I feel all that just looking at that word "RENEW" in the store. I felt blessed for that night. I thought your words above were just wonderful. So many gifts you have and being a great friend is one of the many you have...

    Spray of sunshine!! Oink, Oink...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Leanne
    It sounds like you are at a turning point in your life... you've been through a hard, cold, difficult time. And now a new lease of life, new beginnings await you together with the greatest friends that will give you strength.
    Keep holding onto that thought and you will get through...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sweet Leanne...I cannot imagine anybody making you feel that way...if they are...SHAME ON THEM!! They are the ones that need help...not you. You just happen to be one of the most creative writers and artists I know and you are an AMAZING wife and mom!! I know these things because you pour your heart and soul out right here on your blog. And you are always there for me whenever I buzz you and say...I need this or that. And you have sent me the sweetest things and words just because. Oh sweet friend we ALL got through this funk...believe me I have been there for a few years...but I am taking charge again and it feels sooo good!!

    Renew my friend. Take care of you!!!

    Love and hugs,
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh Oh.. Okay.. scrolling up to the next post.. looks like you may be pulling yourself out of the funk... (catching up..)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm rooting for you Leanne - I am!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!