Simple Moments of happy

Lately I found myself losing sight of those moments that make me happy. It's so easy to let myself get caught up in the drama of others . . . becoming lost in the negatives . . . and forgetting the simple things that bring me joy.

Ah, focus . . . 

It started a few months ago, when Phil told me that I don't just sympathize with others . . . that I really empathize with them. I take on their emotions and begin to truly feel as if what is happening to them, is happening to me too. Of course, it's not. But I couldn't agree with him more. It was a perfect way to describe what I was putting myself through in recent months, as sleepless nights and physical stress started to take over my own life.

So, I made a plan. To remove myself (as much as I could) from the emotion. This is a really hard task, and not one that can happen overnight. But I'm trying.  I don't want to lose the caring part of me, I just need to learn how to handle it. How to be a good listener, be a caring person, try to offer help when I can . . . but not take on the responsibility of someone else's life or problems. 

I decided to do a few blog posts on the moments when I feel peace. When I feel calm. When I feel happy, whole, and most alive. Moments . . . when I really focus. The first thing that came to mind was the morning. Any morning, really. But this is the scene . . . 
       
My kitchen table. 

My iPad, my sketchbook, a few favorite magazines, my sudoku book, and a cup of coffee. 

This is usually what happens when I first wake up, especially on the weekends - before anyone else in the house is awake. It is quiet, and calm, and I have time to soak in all the inspiration. Updates from Facebook (yes, I actually get lots of inspiration from Facebook), an opportunity to sketch art that I've been thinking of, time to plan some meals, and even a few minutes to work those brain muscles in a game of numbers. 
 
It's a happy time, really. Doing things that I enjoy, in a place where I feel safe and love (home).

It's funny to me that a scene like this can bring me true happiness. But it does. It comes at very little (if any) cost. It requires little planning or coordinating. It is me doing some things that I enjoy.

And it is a simple moment of happy, in this life of mine.

I'll be sharing more soon . . . .

What is a simple moment that makes you happy?

Comments

  1. Knitting washcloths while watching Dancing With The Stars. :) And Chuck says I take others problems on as well. You and I are a lot alike. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could tell we are alike, for a long time now, my friend! Here is to the both of us learning to let go, and to enjoying the simple moments! Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Simple times that bring me happy are very similar to yours. A cup of Joe, a favorite art magazine and my notebook for jotting down ideas. It truly is the simplest of things that make me over the moon happy!!!:) And like you I tend to take on others problems and make them MY problems too. My poor daughter does this too!! It is so hard to remove ourselves from others pain....I guess that's part of who we are though and what makes us so darn lovable...HA!

    Thanks again for your call yesterday. It lifted my spirits and brought sunshine back into my day!!!
    Have a Beautiful Easter Break!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!