Half-way Monday! (Part 4)

(This is a continuing story about a recent trip I took with my dear friend, Peggy, to Georgia. You can start at the beginning of our adventure at this blog post, and continue to read one after another.) 

When I last left you, we had just finished our walk through THE haunted house in Plains, Georgia. Truth be told, we were absolutely fine during that quick look at the house, and how I would have just been GIDDY had a door closed on its own, or something strange took place while we were there - but I am happy to report that other than an eerie feeling, we did just fine. 

So, we moved on . . . and our next destination was The Boyhood Farm of President Carter. 


Carter Family Farm 

Can you believe that I took about 10 pictures of the dining room table (full of "fake" food), and the kitchen and bathroom . . . but failed to take a picture of the actual exterior of the house? I guess that is what happens when there is food around (fake or not!)! 

Actually - I think it was such a beautiful day, we loved taking a few minutes on the porch of his boyhood home . . . feeling the lovely breeze as we enjoyed the scenery. 


  

Peggy: "I reckon we should get a move on." 
Leanne: "Let's just sit here and rest a little minute more, Margaret." 

Here are some of the photos I did take of the house . . . restored beautifully to a simpler time (when President Carter was a young boy and lived here). 

There's all that darn food I was talking about. 
  


The Carter Store - located on their property - set up as it would have been back in the day. 
The Carter Boyhood Farm was really fun to see after learning so much about President Carter earlier in the day. I am so glad we were able to stop here along our travels. 

And we learned that Nicole IS a GIFTED Chicken Whisperer . . . who would have thought? 
Here, chickie chickie!
After we left the Carter Farm, we had a few extra minutes in our schedule - just long enough for Nicole to share a bit of her personal history with us. Nicole's husband and his family own a timber farm in nearby Preston, Georgia. When Nicole and Tim were in the process of building their home in Plains, they lived in their family cabin on the Timber farm property. We have seen photos of this cabin for years, and being able to visit in person was so wonderful. We are so grateful she showed us this special place in her life. 


The view from the cabin . . . just beautiful.  You take just about 10 steps down from the house on a little deck, and this is what you see . . . 


Quiet. Peaceful. Serene. I could get lost on this little pier. (And then, I would probably see something out in the water and get totally scared and run back inside . . . but I would have enjoyed it for a short while, first.) 

After the visit at the cabin . . . we ventured over to Richland Rum distillery, and had a great tour of how they make RUM (which included a tasting . . . yum!) I may or may not have bought a bottle, or two. I mean, I am not sure if I can buy Richland Rum up here in Chicago - so it's best to get it from the source, don't you think? Here are some great photos of our adventure at the distillery: 






They couldn't have been more hospitable at the distillery, and we couldn't have been more grateful (hiccup!).  Truly - it was a lovely end to a long day of adventures. 

Well . . . almost the end. 

After returning to Plains Inn, we freshened up a bit and had a lovely dinner with Nicole and her dear husband, Tim, at 1800 Mexican Restaurant in downtown Americus. This was our very first time meeting Tim . . . and it didn't take us long to completely adore him and think that he was just fantastic! 



Dinner was lovely - the conversation was fun and interesting, the food was delicious - and overall, it was a perfect way to end our first FULL DAY in Georgia. 

Oh, I can't wait to share our adventures from day 2!

Be back in a few days with that story. 

Peace! 
xo

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!