The Adventure Begins! (Part 2)

Our Adventure to Georgia . . . let me jump right in, dear friends!!

My friend and traveling partner, Peggy, pulled into my driveway at 4:00am on Sunday, 3/31, and we were ready! There was an unmentioned understanding between both of us that we were doing this trip for Laura, so to say we were eager to start would almost be an understatement. By 4:15am (Chicago time), the car was packed, things we needed access to (the popcorn, snacks, water and maps) were nestled within arms reach, and we were buckled up and rolling down my block . . . in complete and total darkness. We were ready. 

After a quick stop for coffee, the Sun woke up some time while in Indiana, and at that very second that I knew we were going to experience some special moments during this trip . . . this being the first. The most beautiful beam of sunshine was heading straight up to the heavens that day, and how I wish you could have seen it in person (some things don't translate well through my digital iPhone camera, you know?). It was almost a greeting from Laura - like she made it gorgeous just for us to see as we started our trip. She was cool like that, you know? And I felt she was with with us the whole time. 


Our intention was to take photos of each of the state lines we crossed as we traveled from Chicago to Plains, but I did not do a very good job of that. I am not sure what happened . . . I might have been sleeping, or maybe snacking, or possibly laughing, or who knows what . . . but I missed most of them. I did take a picture of this lake (not sure which one it was, but it sure was pretty.) 😉


And, I did manage to take photos as we entered TWO states . . . thank you Kentucky and Georgia for greeting us!
  

In no particular order, here are some of the highlights, thoughts and "recalled comments" of this ride to Plains:

  • Peggy is a little heavy on the gas pedal
  • "Is there a Starbucks coming up?"
  • "Can we stop, I need to use a rest room." 
  • What if Nicole doesn't like us? 
  • Peggy makes me laugh
  • I think she should use her turning signal more often
  • That is a pretty view, I should take picture of it . . . oh, we passed it . . . maybe next time
  • "Was that a state line?" 
  • "Can we stop, I need to use a rest room, again."
  • Peggy is a good friend
  • "Is there a Starbucks coming up, yet?"
  • "I am so glad you did NOT put a photo of Laura's face in the backseat, that would have been weird!" 
  • Where can you get a good cup of coffee around here? 
  • Where in the world is Nicole sending us? These directions are crazy!
  • I think I can do a road trip with Peggy anywhere 


We laughed. A lot. 


We pulled into Plains around 8:30pm on Sunday night . . . a mere 16 hours from when we left. Truly, I could have probably spent a few more hours in the car with Peg. She really is pretty amazing, and she made those 16 hours seem like just a few. How blessed am I to call her my friend? 

Our dear blogfriend Nicole greeted us at Plains Historic Inn, in Plains, Georgia. And my friends . . . the welcoming was like seeing someone I have known my WHOLE life - an oldfriend. Having never met Nicole before, I had no idea what to expect. But I should have known - she is as warm, kind, and welcoming as I could have imagined.

She brought us up to our rooms . . .and let me tell you, the Plains Historic Inn is . . . . . AMAZING!!! I will tell you more about it on my post tomorrow - but will leave you with this . . . I STAYED in the 1970s PRESIDENTIAL SUITE! (and, yes, President and Mrs. Carter have stayed in THIS VERY ROOM!) It was charming and elegant and stunning and I felt so very not worthy to be staying here. But I was. And for two nights, it was my home. And it was during these first two nights where I started to heal, if only a little. 



We settled in, and quickly went straight to sleep. (Peggy stayed in the 1950s suite - equally as awesome and full of such character.) 

Tomorrow I will tell you more about the Inn and share where Nicole brought us for our first official day in Plains. Oh, friends . . . it was so special. 

Thanks for allowing me this time to share our travels of healing with you. As always, I am so grateful to you for being here. 

Peace. 
xo

Comments

  1. What a gorgeous room! And it's filled with the beautiful spirits of the Carters, too ... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!