Monday . . . there is absolutely NOTHING "Plain" about it! (Part 3)

(This is a continuing story about a recent trip I took with my dear friend, Peggy, to Georgia. You can start at the beginning of our adventure at this blog post, and continue to read one after another.) 

After a great night's sleep at Plains Historic Inn, we woke to a beautiful sun filled morning and could really take a closer look at the Inn. Nicole arrived bright and early at 9am on our first day, and we sat in the lovely kitchen area of the Inn feeling as comfortable as if we were in our very own homes. Before I start on the adventures of Monday, I have to talk a little bit more about Plains Historic Inn.

Housed on the second floor of 106 Main Street (right above the Antiques Mall), this charming inn far exceeded my expectations. The decor was darling, with each guest room furnished in a decade from the 1920s to the 1980s. It is decorated so beautifully - with such attention to every little detail. Inviting and comfortable, I felt welcomed the minute we walked in.


Upon our arrival, I was appointed the 1970s suite, which happens to be the Presidential Suite. I was informed that, yes, President and Mrs. Carter HAVE stayed in this very suite - and I immediately had a feeling of "I am so not worthy to be staying here." I joked with Nicole that on the very first evening at the Inn, I sat up straight as to not lean back and rest on the couch. I felt as if I needed to honor the room and not get too comfy in its space (although I will say -  I slept so comfortably once I went to bed!)

The Inns attention to detail is incredible. And as an admirer of history, I so appreciated every single charming item or furniture piece selected. It all felt as if everything was decided upon with such intention - and it was just wonderful being in that environment. Here are just a few photos I gathered while staying there:


Aside from the welcoming feeling a new tourist may get when coming there . . . the experience at the Inn was something even more for me. Something soulful and comforting during those days spent there. I actually could have spent a whole day sitting in the common rooms, reading a good book or sketching or writing. I felt protected and cared for - as if a peace came over me (one that I have longed for - one that I haven't been able to create at home since my sister passed). There were no phones ringing, no texts to answer, no classes to plan, no kids to pick up, no emails to read, nothing. It's like the Inn wrapped its arms around me and said, "It's ok . . . we've got you now, Leanne. You just breathe."

And, I did.

For a little while.
Peggy - my dear friend. 
But then . . . we had to move.

On the balcony of the Plains Historic Inn . . . I cherish this photo and this moment.
There were places to go and lots and lots of things (and people) to see.

So, we hit the road to find out what else Plains had to offer. It may be small (Plains is a tiny little town with about 700 people), but it's story is mighty. And since I just slept where the 39th President of the United States had slept, it was only natural that I venture out and learn a little bit more about the man.

Nicole pulled out all the stops and our itinerary was jam packed with southern hospitality and lots of fun! Our first stop was at Plains High School, which is part of the Jimmy Carter National Historic Site.

We watched a wonderful 20 minute film in the auditorium of the school that helped set the tone for the President Carter portion of the trip (learned about his upbringing and political life), and discovered so much about the people of Plains. I walked out of that short documentary feeling like I was someplace pretty special. The strong sense of community was starting to appear front in center in my Plains story, and I loved it. Everyone knows everyone . . . and with that, comes a strong ethic of taking care of each other that I have never witnessed before.



Yes, I have to drive back home with her now! 
There was a small art exhibit being shown during our time there - and the artist in me just soaked up the energy of the art hanging on the walls. The exhibit is to honor Miss Julia Coleman (a well respected teacher of the school who President Carter admired greatly.) I had to stop and take a few photos of the art made by 549 students from grades K-12 created for this exhibit. Art inspires me no matter where I am or what I am doing. And the work on display was no exception.

The theme of the exhibit, "We must adjust to changing times and still hold to unchanging principles."  Beautiful.




I love the art. The themes, the passion, the colors, the styles, the heart. Just awesome.

We left Plains High School and headed to Billy Carters Service Station Museum, and the Campaign Headquarters for President Carter . . . all within walking distance (like, directly across the street) from the Inn. I had to laugh when Nicole said, "Go on and stand in front of Billy's and I will take a picture of you with downtown Plains behind you." Yep, that is downtown Plains. All of it. 😊

Peggy and Me, downtown Plains, GA.
Billy Carters Service Station Museum
Memorabilia in the Museum
Me and Peggy in front of Jimmy Carter's Campaign head quarters. 
The Campaign headquarters were so fun to see. In the film we watched earlier at the High School, we learned that the towns people decided to use this building (the old train depot) as then Candidate Jimmy Carters headquarters - because it was the only building downtown with an indoor toilet.


I love this next photo, taken at the old train depot/headquarters.


After our look at the campaign headquarters, we had a wonderful opportunity to meet Ruth Sanders, the Executive Director of Plains Better Hometown. Ruth was an absolute delight, and we couldn't wait to continue our conversations with her - so we decided on meeting for lunch just after we did a little antique shopping at the Inn.

Oh, the Antique Mall. It makes my heart happy! Lovely selection of awesome goods - with very reasonable prices. It was at this point that I was grateful Peggy and I drove to Plains, because I had plenty of car space to bring some goodies home.


Yes, I did find some wonderful things to purchase, and brought home an absolutely gorgeous bird house for my brother-in-law (made from recycled materials), as well as some really awesome old lyric and music sheets that will be perfect for mixed media art at our Creative Wings Art Shoppe. And . . . the prize of all prizes . . . I just HAD to bring home this awesome Egg Platter. 


Now, I must preface this by saying, I am not an Egg Platter aficionado. I actually have never owned an Egg Platter before (and yes, I capitalize this particular platter, because it is just so darn awesome!). There was something about this platter that just brought me JOY! So, I bought it. And I couldn't be happier! (seriously . . . you can only imagine . . .) 


We continued down Main Street and met Ruth at Buffalo Cafe, the little town restaurant right there on the strip. This darling little cafe, with delicious food, was the perfect resting spot for us, and allowed us plenty of time to visit with our new friend, Ruth. I had my very first "fried green bean" (oh, boy, I am craving them right about now), and our conversation was exciting and inspiring - where the strong feeling of community continued to play out. 

Note to self: be a little more mindful when Nicole is snapping those photos, so you can SMILE!!
I was clearly very "into" my green beans, and Ruth was
a kind southern and humoring me while looking at photos on my phone.  
Seriously . . . so good! 
As Ruth shared wonderful stories with us about the town and President Carter and different events they have had, she briefly mentioned an event held at the "haunted house". Ever curious (and a tad scaredy cat), this immediately caught our attention and we inquired about said haunted house, and Ruth said she had a little time and wouldn't mind showing it to us . . . if we wanted to see it.

Well . . . . YES!! (gulp)

So we finished our delicious lunch, and drove a short ways to the haunted house.

And it was . . . gorgeous.

But a bit scary.

Like, totally.

But still, gorgeous!


The home is owned by Plains Better Hometown, and is occassionally used for a few events here and there, but primarily stands empty on a beautiful wooded lot. Built in 1850 by a local doctor - it is said to have had paranormal experiences through the years. The Carter Family (President Carter, Mrs. Carter and their children) actually lived in the house for a few years in the late 50s, early 60s. The house, itself, is just stunning - with a wide hall way and huge rooms on the sides.


I felt just fine while walking into the house, but the further I ventured down this long hallway, the more uncomfortable I became. Nothing happened (thank goodness), just a . . . feeling. 

Especially in the back of the house . . .

But I loved the former study of the doctor. And the built in shelving . . . swoon! Oh, I just LOVE the shelves, don't you? What I wouldn't give to have a room like this to house my ever growing collection of books. I just wouldn't be able to have it in this particular house, because as we walked further into the back of the house . . . I was ready to leave. Truly . . . just a feeling. 


Yet, it was pretty incredible.


I couldn't help but imagine what it was like in its prime - or what it would be like if a couple like Chip and Joanna Gaines could get their hands on it. What amazing things they could do with this beautiful space.


But then again . . . there was that feeling. 

😉

After that, we bid farewell to our dear friend, Ruth, and continued on our day. My friends, Nicole still had two more places for us to visit on this first day, and then dinner (with her dear husband) was planned for us in the evening, so I am going to pause our day right here, and bring you more of our adventures tomorrow.

I hope you have enjoyed this look into a big portion of our first day in Plains. I will be back tomorrow and pick up our story right here, friends.

Until then . . . thank you for sharing this fun trip with me.

Peace!
xo

Comments

  1. This is so nice. I get to relive this trip again! Everything was so nice, I definitely have difficulty picking out a favorite. Plains Inn community room was so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that live vicariously and "visit" Plains through your adventure with Peggy and Nicole! What a charming place full of warm, wonderful people. Southern hospitality at its finest ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, it is delightful!! (One of these days, I will get myself to YOU!!!)

      Delete
  3. Clearly the folks of Plains, GA know the meaning of true hospitality. I have now added this lovely location to my travel bucket list... and OMG... the Plains Historic Inn looks quite amazing. How fun to also be able to learn more about the Carter's. It sounds like an amazing trip. I would love to join you in a girls trip. Southern charm, beautiful hotel, antique stores, fried food.... who could resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti - there is no doubt in my mind that you would LOVE it! And I do think we are due for another Girls TRIP!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!