Does it rain in Heaven?

We had some pretty rainy days here in Chicago last week. A whole bunch of drops fell, as many of us ran from store to store preparing for our Thanksgiving gatherings. Yes, I found myself in the middle of some pretty cold and damp days that left me chilled to the bone. And thinking . . . . about rain . . . and heaven.

I'm not an umbrella sort of person. I think I'm actually umbrella-challenged. Many a times I have found myself the unfortunate soul whose umbrella flips inside out, or with spokes that have cracked and left half of my umbrella collapsed and hitting me in the face. Not a pretty picture, I tell you. And I find it almost impossible to get my car, open the door, sit down, close the umbrella, and pull it into the car with me . . . without getting myself absolutely soaked in the process. Yes, I am what you would call "umbrella-challenged", and I am not afraid to admit.

While driving around last week, I started to think about my lack of umbrella finesse, and wondered if this meant it was time for . . . the bonnet.

You know the bonnet, right? Like . . .  a rain bonnet.

I remember my Grandma wore them. I actually think Grandma must have owned stock in the rain bonnet business, because she actually had rain bonnets in every color imaginable. Never was Grandma without a rain bonnet in her purse (she was prepared . . . you never know when you might need one. They were usually right next to the butterscotch. Because, you never know when you need that, either.) 

Purple, yellow, gold, silver, white, black, red . . . every color under the sun. She had them all. And she wore them. And her hair looked perfect. All.of.the.time.

I think I need one. A rain bonnet, that is. (A butterscotch would be kind of lovely right now, too, come to think of it.)

Ok. Maybe not yet. But . . . when does that rain bonnet stage hit? Is it the same time the AARP card arrives? Or perhaps when that first social security check comes in the mail? Or is it when you realize that you are umbrella-challenged?

Hmmmm . . . I wonder.

When I think of heaven, I never imagine a single rain drop falling from the clouds. In my heaven, the sun is always shining.

But in my heaven, Grandma still carries her purse and her rain bonnet, just in case. The rain bonnet is white, I'm sure. To match her wings.

Love you, Grandma.

And I think of you. . . every single day.

:)

p.s. If you happen to be in the market for a rain bonnet, they are available on Amazon for $1.59, and here is a link to purchase it. Disclosure: I have not been paid or rewarded in any way for mentioning rain bonnets in this post. Nor have I received any products in return for my endorsement of said rain bonnets via this writing. However, if you represent the rain bonnet company, feel free to send me a bonnet. I might need it one day! ;)

Comments

  1. Oh, Leanne...before I started reading your post, I noticed the rain bonnet pic and knew, just KNEW this post would be mentioning your Grandma.
    Such sweet memories!
    As far as rain in heaven, I'm with you. I always figure it's sunny and the perfect temp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha... I can't say anything else. You crack me up! (PS - it's also quite a touching story.) Glad you are back to writing and sharing your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Grandma's bonnets.... Hope your dad and her are enjoying themselves in heaven everyday.

    Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leanne... I think you would look GREAT in one!! practicality is NEVER out of style!! btw, the "Bonnet" is enjoying a revival now in parts of Europe, especially the UK!! women of all ages wear 'em ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!