7,200 Seconds

A couple of weeks ago, I had two hours to myself.

Two whole hours.

Katie and Ella had swimming lessons, and since Phil was scheduled for an upcoming business trip that would have him away (and free from parenting duty) for 10 days, I thought I would take advantage of the time and decided to stay home instead of going to workout. Phil took the girls to the club, and I was all alone.

For two hours.

Isn't it crazy how fast two hours can go?

It's really just . . . 7,200 seconds.

Really.

As I closed the front door and took a great deep breath, I started to think about what I could possibly do with my new found free time. The house was so quiet, not a television or computer game was on, and only the sound of the air conditioner running could be heard.

What to do with my 7,200 seconds? While I could have worked on my robot dance, cut coupons, or done some online shopping, I stepped into our kitchen, and saw this mess waiting for me . . .

. . . as if we just received a phone call telling us to evacuate our house immediately. Truth is, our house looks like this most mornings (note to self: work with the girls on cleaning up after they eat.)

The sink was even worse . . .

Breakfast dishes were piled high, and from what I could tell . . . they were making no effort to clean themselves (mean dishes).

I'm one of those people who can't sit down until the house is in order. My husband, on the other hand, could leave the whole house in disarray and lay down for hours, not at all being bothered by the conditions of his surroundings. Me? I can't do it. I have to clean up before my soul will rest. It took about 1,200 seconds (20 minutes). Not bad.

I have three little pieces of art that sit on the window sill right above my sink. These little goodies, along with my brave girl pin, make the time at the sink so much more enjoyable. The center wood piece was made by my beloved friend Isabel at Oodles of Doodles Art Studio.  (Check out her Etsy store when you have a chance . . . . LOVE her work!)


All three of these little sentiments make me so happy, and if there is ever I time I need to be happy . .. it's  when I have dish-pan hands.

I started thinking about the new school year, and how my little Ella will be heading off to Kindergarten this fall. Her first full day of school is August 22nd, and . . . I'm not ready. Ok . . ok . . . I'm kind of ready. But some where deep inside of me is a lump just waiting to work it's way out.

While she has been in preschool the past two years, there is something significantly different about Kindergarten. This year, a ginormous yellow bus will pull down our block and stop in front of our house and wait patiently for my little girl to board. A GINORMOUS YELLOW BUS. No longer will I will driving my bright eyed baby girl to school, and turn to see her smiling face while traveling down my favorite road in town. Nope. She takes the bus. I'm now very familiar with Katie being gone and taking the bus, but this year with Ella - it's quite a change.

And it's not only the bus thing that is different . . . but this year, she'll be gone five days, as opposed to four, and for 3 1/2 hours each day, as opposed to two.

3 1/2 hours, or 12,600 seconds. Five days a week . . . .

I'll have 63,000 seconds each and every week. To myself.

Considering it only took me 1,200 seconds to clean up my kitchen one day . . . I'll have lots of time available each and every day . . . for my me.

I'm getting back into business. Planning for my next steps. Creating. Drawing. Painting. Writing.It may be time to get back into the work force, I still have to determine that. But I do know that in two weeks, I will definitely be heading back into my studio. I am selling my art at a show the end of September, and have LOTS of work to do.

And I am excited.

63,000 seconds for Ella to start living her life. And 63,000 seconds for her Mommy to do the same.

Life is . . . exciting. hopeful. a blessing. and so very very GOOD.

Peace, my friends.

Comments

  1. You will enjoy your time yet miss your girls. It is sooo bittersweet! I have sooo much time to myself now it's a common thing. Once they hit 7th grade then 9th grade and up...it is soooo busy....and lonely.

    Make the most of your time with the girls and without them. Each is important to your soul:)

    So exciting you are doing a show. I have a chance to do one then but I don't know yet....

    Love you my friend and your sink is darling...even your soap is cute!!!!

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all - I love the color in your kitchen. Also, I'm excited abotu the new found focus you will soon have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too sweet:O)Awesome that you are doing a show and will have some Me time:O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of changes. Life keeps taking AND giving, doesn't it? Love you, Leanne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite line of this post: "63,000 seconds for Ella to start living her life. And 63,000 seconds for her Mommy to do the same." What wise words, Mama! And, oh, that big yellow bus. I'm still taking my girls to school, though that could be riding the bus... I keep saying, "THIS year, we are going to ride the bus..." but we never do. I think that's more me not letting go than them not wanting to ride the bus! And, I think we live in the same house....I have to have everything cleaned up while my husband can happily live in total chaos. Happy Weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You put things so well into perspective, Leanne! All the very best of luck with your new ventures...
    Loved getting a peak into your kitchen by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny - I looked at the picture of your house and thought, "wow! her house is so clean!" :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!