Up . . . Up . . . and Away!

I wanted to do something special this year to mark the end of the summer and to christen the beginning of a new school year.  A celebration, of sorts, that all of us in the family could take part in. So, I decided we'd have a ceremony . . . a little presentation . . . to talk about our wishes for the coming school year, and then end it with a special lighting ceremony (yes, I must be going through some sort of withdrawal from the pomp and circumstance of the Olympics.)

We started by each of us making "wish" pages that could hold our individual wishes for the new school year. From "making new friends" to "focusing more", each of us had something that we wanted to wish for in the months ahead. While the concept was a little hard for Ella to get, she still came up with "I want to learn more math" and "I want to make friends". I was pretty proud of her!


They did a great job with their school year wish lists.


We then gathered outside and read each other our lists. I loved hearing how we each had different things we wished for. 

Then, it was time for the lights. A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a large biodegradable lantern at a local Walgreens. The whole "end of summer" ceremony came to me the minute I saw the lantern. I did my best to hold it straight as Phil lit away . . . .


Carefully following the instructions, we waited until it was just hot enough to fly up . . .

up . . . up and away!


And off it went . . . .

I told the girls to close their eyes and say a little wish as the lantern flew high above us, and then quietly said my own wishes for the new school year . . . . until I heard sweet Ella whisper her  wishes of ". . . chocolate house, and a chocolate bunny, and lots and lots and lots of candy, and oh, please, bring me all the candy in the whole wide world . . . that's what I wish for."

"Ellie!" I told her, "you are supposed to be making a wish for your school year, honey. Something about school, sweetie."

"Oh!" she exclaimed, "AND CAN I HAVE A GREAT SCHOOL YEAR, PLEASE?!?!" she yelled at the lantern.

God Bless this little girl.

Happy School Year to you and yours!

Comments

  1. OMG what a good mom are you... From New York to the lantern. I am going to steal your idea for Sunday night. I have a lantern.. You are just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love it - all of it! The hopes, the dreams, the wishes, the lantern, the ceremony, the chocolate bunny ... :) May you all have a fabulous school year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful Idea!!! Oh and the wishes, don't we all want chocolate bunnies and chocolate houses, I mean come on!!

    You are such a creative mom!!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! What a wonderful thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome!!!!! Love the idea and love that lantern!!!!!! Too cool:O)I would have wished the same thing All the chocolate in the world:O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really cool! You're a GREAT mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. think about the memories the girls will have!! what a great gift to them. and to the whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure why, Leanne butthis post has me in tears. Maybe it's because I miss those sweet, sweet days when my children were little...

    You are one fantastic MOM and HUMAN BEING!! I am sure thankful I found you in this sea of on-line people, ya know???

    Love your ideas and how you put them into action.

    Hugs,
    leslie....

    Oh by the way I read your NYC post .. I LOVED it!! I am now planning a surprise get away for my kids when we can afford it. Such a cool idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the BEST parenting (and other) ideas! This is so cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!