What Blogging has Taught Me

I went to dinner with an old friend of mine last week.

Susan.

She makes me laugh until I cry, this Susan girl. And then when I calm myself down, I laugh some more.

Friends like that are good to have. Susan and I have known each other what feels like a lifetime ago, when we both were childless and single, living our days working full time and doing community theater at night. We were young. We were fearless. We lived life to the fullest.

While we are still pretty fearless and still live life to the fullest, we now do so with our spouses and kids in tow. Susan still does a great deal of theater, except now she gets paid for it. Me? I make art.

The last time we had dinner together was probably 5 years ago. Facebook has kept us in contact with the little updates here and there, but it has been way too long since we sat face to face and talked. But it felt like we just did it last week, that's how comfortable our friendship is. We each had long stories to tell of our lives the past few years, we cried real tears as we told stories of painful moments, and we spoke honestly about the journeys we were on - knowing full well that we both have some adjusting to do, but admitting that we were smelling the roses more often than not.

She wanted to know all about my leaving the health care field I had worked in for 25 years, how did it all come about? And . . . my blogging and art. How did I start? When did I start? What is it all about?

I started thinking about this blog of mine.

I love this blog.

I think I would be lost without it.

Like a dear old friend, blogging came along when I needed it, and it taught me that it was OK to share my stories with others. That somewhere in this world, someone would understand what I was feeling, and sharing my experience with others will not only help me feel less alone, but might help someone else feel less alone, too. Blogging taught me that it was OK to want more than just being the Worlds Best Mom. Actually, it taught me that there is no such thing as the Worlds Best Mom . . . and that I'm doing just fine as I am. And that even though I am here to help my kids make their dreams come true . . . Blogging taught me that doesn't mean that I have to stop dreaming for myself. The inspiration, the encouragement and wise words that I would soak up from other blogs have left me with the hope to believe in myself. That was a pretty awesome lesson for this 37 year old mom (which is what I was when I started blogging) to learn.

I sat across the table from my friend thinking how blessed I have been to have met the people I have met, to have connected with them both in this real world, and the online world as well. When all is said and done, that's what this life is all about. It's not about the car that I drive, the house that I live in, or the shoes that I wear. It's about the relationships I have made along the way. It about the friend that I have been, the love that I have given, the happiness that I have shared. And I hope I have given back as much as I have received.

That's what it is all about. And that's what blogging has taught me. And it's been one of the biggest lessons I've ever learned.

Wishing you peace, my friend.

Comments

  1. You just said exactly what I would about blogging. It has been a huge gift to me!!! I think I'll write a post about this, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true. I think with blogging we find out we are not alone.

    I'm glad you got a chance to see your old friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blogging world is a very unique network of thoughtful, intelligent people. I am so glad I went to that Tea Party one Saturday and met you. I am sad we don't still have those tea parties. My little circle has gotten smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice and inspiring post! I just found you on Pinterest...I blog as well and I agree with all of the benefits you mention and I hope I help other people as well. The comfort of old friends is the best and what we need to make us appreciate our lives and cheer us up in tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful post and all so true:O) Glad I met you here:O)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!