Bird Planet Love

Do you ever wonder if birds have their own language? I mean . . . not the squawking "I'm hungry, get me a worm" kind of noises they make. I mean a full blown "don't come out of that bird house, cause this lady mowing the lawn is a nut job and will probably run you over if you land in her path" or "hey, see that newly washed shiny clean blue mini-van in the driveway? let's leave them a present right on their wind shield so they know we love them!" sort of language.

I wonder about that. A lot.

Did I tell you about my birdhouse? No? Well, allow me to digress . . .

We had a garage sale last month. Nothing too fancy or big. Lots of the girls clothing that no longer fits and some DVD's and stuff. Whenever we have a garage sale, I usually let the extended family know, and if they have some items they'd like to sell, they are welcome to join me in the garage for the day with their table of goodies.

This year, my brother-in-law came with a few of my sister and his stuff. And one of the items they had on their table was the cutest little bird house. It sat there for a few hours the first day of our sale, and not one person grabbed that house.

And me . . . I was coveting it.

Because, you see, I had the PERFECT branch for it. Right on the tree in my park way. It was calling out for this birdhouse.

A couple hours later, my brother-in-law ran and got lunch for us. And while he was gone, I did what any sister-in-law would do . . . I snatched that bird house and zip-tied it that tree branch faster than you could say "yes,shesnatchedthatbirdhouse andziptiedittothattree".  When he returned, I confessed my crime and offered to pay him the family discount . . .  1/2 of what they were asking ($2.50 . . . what a deal!). Although, now that I think about it, I don't think I ever gave him the money.  Oh, dear. I have to add that to the list of all I owe them.

Within two hours of that little bird house being on that tree . . . THIS little guy showed up.


Well . . . maybe it's not a little "guy" . . . it would probably make more sense to say it's a little "girl." It didn't take her long, the very afternoon that I hung up this bird house, to make it her home. (Even when I thought for sure she would never fit into that hole. I mean, Lord knows I don't mean to be judgemental . . . I know how that feels . . . but I certainly did not think she'd get in there. But, alas, she did!)


I watched this tree house for days . . . as mother (and sometimes father) flew in and out with twigs and things to make it a proper home.


It really is the perfect tree and branch for it, don't you think.

Last week, I had to do some adjusting and added an extra zip-tie to it (we have had some crazy powerful and windy storms in recent weeks.) And lo and behold, yesterday afternoon I caught a glimpse of somebody (or a few somebodies) peeking out - hooting and a hollering - for their momma.
 

I ran inside and grabbed the camera and took probably 100 photos of the scene that was unfolding. Time and time again, momma flew up to the house and dropped a healthy portion of goodies into their hole. A few times I ventured a little too close for her comfort, and she gave me an ear full. After retreating back to my driveway, she returned to her task.


She's a good momma bird. I can tell, for sure.


I wonder what will happen when the birdies leave home. Am I to throw away their sofa and cushions, or will the next family accept the house as is? hmmmm . . . time will tell.

Wishing you wonderful house guests . . . where ever you may be, my friends.

Peace.

Comments

  1. Oh Leanne...love this!! My MOm is the BIRD WOMAN! Seriously she has like 10 houses in her yard and feeders. Any given day we can sit in her sunroom and watch the birds. It is fascinating!! Your photos of that sweet bird in the house are priceless. I bet your girls are enjoying it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I had no idea what was really going on in that birdhouse. This is very sweet. Come to think of it, I believe we have officially hosted at least 4 bird families (mostly Robins) this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!