Inspiring their HeARTs & Souls

One of the biggest lessons I've learned about myself in recent months . . . is that I absolutely love using my art to inspire others. I love sharing my art with people and hopefully lending a bit of inspiration into their day. It's really why I've found myself on this path of living a creative life and is one of the things and matters to me most.

So I came up with this class idea for young girls . . . I call it HeArt & Soul. And while I know there are a million "HeArt & Soul" references out there in the world (or at least a thousand) . . . this is my spin on it. And last week, I had a few of Katie and Ella's friends over to try it out.

The project is for each girl to make their own little book of happy thoughts, happy photos and happy memories. And my hope is that they'll discover something pretty special about themselves along the way.

I start with some supplies and a few pages of inspiration that I've put together for them to use. Quotes about believing in themselves, quotes about girl power, quotes from me and from others far wiser than me.

 
Then I set the table with 6"x8" cardboard squares, a few bottles of acrylic paint, a whole bunch of girlie patterned duct tape, and the words "My Heart & Soul Book" printed on paper.
 


Each girl was told to bring at least 10 photos of themselves or family and friends, and anything they would want to include in a special book. The girls were instructed to paint both sides of their cardboard pieces.


We talked, right off the bat, about it not needing to be perfect . . . that nothing is really perfect . . . and that we should enjoy the process more than anything.


Next, the girls covered the edges of their pages with duct tape (which they LOVED!), and I walk them through the process of turning these cardboard squares into a book. Very cool . . . and they loved it.

 
Once the books are put together . . . the girls took off adding quotes and photos page to page . . .
 


They did such a fantastic job. I forgot to take photos of the insides of their books, so I'll have to come back and share those another time. I was so proud of each of them - and I think they enjoyed themselves!
 
Ella needed just a little help from me with her hearts on her cover, but she did everything else . . . and I was so proud of her! She and Katie did such a great job! Their books are awesome!
 


And she loved sharing it with her Daddy . . . she read every single quote and even surprised me when she told him all about Helen Keller. (I guess she does listen to me . . . sometimes!)

I am going to be offering this class at our Park District this fall . . . and I hope it is well received! If you are a local friend, I'll keep you in the loop of when the classes will be running. OR . . . if you would like to arrange a home party where I come and do a class for your daughter and some of her friends, send me an email and we can easily arrange it! It really is such a fun project!

Wishing you all inspiring moments
and
much much peace.

xo

Comments

  1. I love this. I'm going to have to keep this in mind for when I have another Scout troop or finally have kids...

    I keep a "smashbook" style book myself where I put in quotes and Bible verses, hymns, pictures cut from magazines and notes from friends. Anything that makes me happy and will fit in a book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!