Where Bloggers Create 2013

Welcome!
 
 
Oh, what fun I had last year - joining in with the lovely  Karen Valentine over at "My Desert Cottage" during the "Where Bloggers Create 2012" Annual Blog Party! I loved snooping into so many creative spaces, and sharing my very own with them, that I had to do it again this year! I am so excited to be sharing my creative place with you - the space has changed quite a bit since last year.

This time last year, my studio (aka; our basement) looked like this . . .


And while it was somewhat functional . . . changes needed to be made. I needed better organization (or better use of the organization systems I had), I needed to add a little more style and pizazz into it, and I needed to somehow give my family (especially the girls) some space to play in.  I also knew that I needed to fill the walls with inspiration and art that would motivate me to continue living my creative life to its fullest. So . . . I had a goal.

I did a little unveiling of the space to my frequent blog friends back in January, when I officially changed the space around, so many of these photos will be duplicates to them. But for any new "Where Bloggers Create" friends,  I give you . . . My "studio/TV /computer/hubby hang out/kids play in" Room. Officially. ;)

 
We completely moved the table to the other side of the room, and picked up this cute little love seat (and adorable pillows) from Ikea. I love that RED is such a prominent color in this room. It provides energy and passion to me in all that I do in this space.
 
The center of the room is now completely open for the kids to dance in, do gymnastics in, build puzzles and play games in, and do whatever else their little hearts desire. It feels much more open in this space, and I am loving it!
 

My work desk has moved to the right of the couch. (Boy-oh-boy - that electrical box sure stuck out like a sore thumb, huh? The reality is, this space is a basement. Lighting is limited, and there are still "basement things" that belong here. So, we have to work with what we have.) I decided to use the electric box to hold magnets of my art work that I make and sell in my Etsy shop. Today, the electric box looks more like this . . .


Now, back to the rest of the room . . . I took one leaf out of my work table, so that I could fit the table in the corner of the room. I know I got rid of some of the work space that I had, but it needed to be done to open up the space in the center of the room. It was worth it.


 
On the wall to the left of my table hangs my inspiration. A couple of Kelly Rae Roberts prints that make me happy, a tile given to me by artist and dear friend Elizabeth Gonzalez, and a few of my own art pieces. I just LOVE how this wall looks. When I sit at my table and glance up, I feel so happy. That's what this space needed to be, my friends. HAPPY. 
 

Lots of little storage boxes and containers can be found. This box to on the right is a hand-painted cigar box that my husband's Aunt Vicki made. She is an amazing artist and paints the most intricate and vibrant designs. I have a few of her boxes and they look PERFECT in this space, and are so functional, too!


One of my very favorite storage containers is this really cool revolving tray I purchased online from Harbor Freight (see it online here.) It was only $19.99, and it holds all the things I want right at my finger tips when creating. I still have to finishing organizing and adding a few more items to it . . . but I love it!



This BELIEVE board contains some of my favorite photos and cards received on this creative part of my life, and is a constant inspiration to me. It has a prominent place in my studio.

 
Vintage wallpaper samples, photos, and sheet music is just an arms length away - right at my finger tips - and ready to be used in a piece of art. I love having everything handy, right where I need it!
 
I desperately needed some additional light in this space, so I picked up these funky white "bulbs" from Ikea (they were only $14.99). They give off lots of light which helps so much when windows are at a minimum. 

My Phil Guy Bobble Head . . . Oh, how it makes me smile. I think this was a give-away with a McDonald's happy meal, or something, a few years ago. The girls weren't using it, so I found a perfect picture of my dear Phil and put it in the toy. It has remained near my work space since that day, and always will. It makes me feel like he is near me always, even when he is traveling for work and may be thousands of miles away. I love it!

 
And one of my most prized projects - my Brave Girl Soulbook made at a class with Melody Ross at The Creative Connection Event in 2011. This book reminds me how I felt at the beginning of my creative venture, when I felt on top of the world! I love having it near me, and often pick it up and read what is within it's pages. This book will ALWAYS be so special to me (and looks so lovely next to another one of Aunt Vicki's boxes.)

Of course, my inspiration door is still there . . . it makes me happy each and every time I look at it.



So, there you have it.

Is it cluttered? Heck, yeah. Remember . . . I'm trying to fit 10 pounds of turkey in a 5 pound bag. But I have a GREAT handle on where EVERYTHING for my creative life is, and the girls have a place to do whatever they want.

Thanks for joining me and sitting through my studio tour. I'm so happy to be able to share it with you. Please consider stopping by all the other amazing blogger spaces. Click over to Karen's site "My Desert Cottage" here, and scroll down to see the alphabetical list of blogs participating in the party!

If you are interested in what it is, exactly, that I create in this space, head over to my shop by clicking on the link here . . . or choose the "my shop" tab above.

Wishing you all a wonderful day of creating!

Peace, my friends.

Comments

  1. LOVE your space Leanne. It is so YOU!! That red couch with those pillows would make me smile all day.:)

    I wanted to do this fun blog hop this year but forgot...my space is being re-arranged once again...so I better get moving!!

    Thanks for sharing:)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiness does look like it abounds here. You are very creative and oh so artsy. Looks like you have an abundance of scrapbooking supplies too. thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the phrase "10 pounds of turkey into a 5 pound bag". It is amazing how much stuff we collect, but I don't want to get rid of anything.

    The red couch is wonderful! I have red slipcovers for the sofa/bed in our guest room, but right now it is dressed in blue and shite stripe. I miss the red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a lovely space you have to create in! I love all the color for inspiration. Thanks for the tour. Cheers from singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've turned your basement space into a great creative space. Wonderful ideas and displays. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leanne thanks for visitand sweet comment, love the red couch, you have arranged a wonderful place where you can enjoy yourself in your basement.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Leanne! LOVE the makeover of your creative space... Oops, I mean your "studio/TV /computer/hubby hang out/kids play in Room"!!! What a mouthful of words, but I LOVE IT!!!! I love the revolving tray you mentioned, and I LOVE the color red that you ran with! (loving those red polka-dot boxes!!).. Everything, BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you for sharing, and nice to meet you! I really enjoyed stopping by today! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you updated shall we say and the work space is now so well organized! But the red couch made me want to nap there for a while!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Leanne. I really like the brown walls with the red furnishings - so striking, warm, and rich. I'm also impressed how you were able to reach a balance and create a family space where everyone can hang out. I know I used to do gymnastics indoors when I was little and you need a lot of space for that! :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you've incorporated your family space with your creative space, Leanne! What a difference from your first picture. It looks great ~ very warm and cozy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to go to the blogging party to find you???? At first I was going to shout "hello" to a fellow artist in Illinois and now I see you live in the Chicagoland area! ME,TOO! We need to chat so send me an email and let's try to get together. Anyway, love your space and all the little touches.. like using the utility panel door to hold your magnets. Clever use of it! And I love your Downton Abbey calendar which says a lot about you, too! Of course I have the tendency to focus in on all the little details. But the big picture of your space is just as wonderful! Thanks for inviting us in ... I am now your newest follower!!! By the way, any chance you have signed up for the Create classes being offered in Lisle? I haven't yet. Let's chat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your style...and space...reminds me of me :):) Im following you now...look forward to seeing what you are up too:):) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! well love your space, the colours, the metal twirlie tray, got mine, plastic :( from home depot but goonna get yours! cause its metal! AND the other one can go in my girl cave out back! the Doll House! love your creative space, very warm and inviting, im a RED gal as well! lol hugs to you, happy Sunday, so glad you posted got some great ideas, my head hurts now! lol have so many blogs to post to my sidebar now, and i will! im following more because of this great party! kat =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great place with lots of interesting things:) I am glad to find your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous transformation!! I love all your bright colors, and that little red sofa ~ what a cool place to create!
    TFS ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a wonderful art space. Red is my favorite color and I so enjoyed everything in the basement. Thank you for sharing with us.

    Marrianna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of creative ideas in your work space. The electrical box was a magnet display case waiting to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love what you have done to your studio since last year. I love your use of color and all of the personal touches you us.
    It looks very organized to me. Thanks for taking the time to share it. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your creative space. I imagine that when you are there, you never want to leave. I think in is great that you have room for that wonderful red sofa (my favorite color) and I love all the little whimsical art pieces about the room. So much fun.
    Do you know where Michigan City, IN is? I was raised there and I use to take the South Shore into the city for shopping and museums. I Love Chicago although I have been a resident of Washington State for the past 39 years :)
    I'm having a Give-A-Way on my blog for a $25 Amazon Gift Card. Please come over and put our name in the hat. All you have to do is leave a comment and follow me back. I am excited to have found you, now I'm going to look at some of your past posts :)
    Have a great day,
    Your newest follower, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how you included space for your family in your space! It must be a place of inspiration for the girls too! Also love the RED! Hugs! http://connell-crafts.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Leanne your studio has transformed!! The red sofa looks very happy in there!! I am so glad you decided to share your new studio space with all of us again. :) It was a pleasure to visit you!
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the couch colour how it brings in that pop of colour and it also compliments the other things that have red in them, I can see that is a great space for all of you. Especially for you when you're creating.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing your lovely space! Love your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a colourful, happy place you've created Leanne! Love the pops of bright hues, the boxes by your Aunt, and the magnets on the power box (brilliant!).

    Oh and did I spy a "Downton Abbey" calendar??? Awesome! Must find one too!

    Thanks for such a lovely tour of your space!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just LOVE what you've done to your basement room. The red sofa really brightens it up and I love how you incorporated the metal door to the electrical box in your décor---ingenous!! I also love your artwork--so whimsical and fun. I'm sure you spend many an hour down there creating. Thanks for stopping by my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The revamped studio looks so cozy and inviting. So excited that your bliss just happens to be remunerated!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing your studio. It looks like a wonderful place to create

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful space, the red sofa looks so comfy. Good use of room to allow room for rugrats to dance, do gymnastics etc :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, I love the transformation of your workspace! I enjoyed the tour of your art room as well as your wonderful art. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!