My Carpet of Gold


I love the sound of leaves crunching under my feet. I love to feel them up against my legs as I walk through a pile of them. I prefer to have socks on to avoid as much itchiness as possible . . . but some days, unplanned walks in the woods are the very best thing for the soul.

I've mentioned before how blessed I am to live where we live - not only because we are in the Midwest (which welcomes the seasons of winter, spring, summer and fall with open arms), but because we are just minutes away from a most lovely nature forest preserve.

It is heavenly.

I find myself taking a drive through it weekly . . . just turning down the street that leads straight into the path of peace . . . more often than not. Mostly without even realizing what I am doing. During many of these afternoon drives, I pull over and step out into the quiet for a quick walk, to just . . . breath.

Sometimes I get my best deep breaths of air - in those woods.

It's kind of like my heaven on earth.

It's quiet there. No phones ringing, no commotion, no one asking me where I am going, where I have been, what I am doing. No canvases to paint. No dinners to cook. No ornaments to make. No laundry to fold. No jobs to search for, or money to worry about. Just me, the trees, and the air. And an occasional squirrel.

Sometimes I close my eyes and listen to the sounds around me. Sometimes I look at the shapes of leaves and branches up close - to study their lines and wonder and their structure. Sometimes I look for birds or any sign of wildlife. Sometimes I pray - short little sentences of gratitude for the day and for my life. But every time I am there, I breath in and out. Deep long breaths. And I often feel as if the toxins of life leave me each exhale.

The air.

It's healing.

Katie and I drove through a few weeks ago. The trees were still packed with just turned leaves, and the sounds of them dancing around on their branches greeted us.

Today, a carpet of freshly laid gold was waiting for me . . . it was beautiful.


Standing there, it was as if the season was changing before my eyes, as more and more leaves fell off their branches and found their final resting place on my feet. 

I can't believe how fast the days are passing. It's so cliché - to mention how quickly time is moving - isn't it? So I won't . . . I won't mention it any longer. 

I will say, however, that this is truly my favorite time of year. I love the feelings of comfort that come over me as fall arrives. When the smell of a pumpkin spice candle lingers in the air at home, and the evening chill brings frost on our lawn each morning.

I'm most grateful that I am focusing on these little moments this year. The leaves at my feet. The frost on our lawn. And writing. I am so glad to be writing more again. I seem to be ending this month with 8 new blog posts (yay!), which is the most I have written since January. And I feel like I am finding my voice again. 

Tomorrow, the peaceful moment of today will be long gone, as we are hosting a Halloween Party at home full of great food, fun relatives and friends, and lots of fun. But it's all good . . . all of the chaos and craziness is worth every single moment. 

Because I know . . . next week . . . I can come right back here.

To my Carpet of Gold.

For a little bit longer, at least.

Wishing you wonderful golden carpet moments, my friends.

And lots of peace.

xo






Comments

  1. Love reading your posts, wish we would be there tonight! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful place....I can just feel the peace and tranquility, breathe deeply. We all need somewhere like that... somewhere to go when we need to reset our souls..
    I love how you enjoy every season Leanne :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!