When the Universe Calls, Twice

                  

I love when the Universe calls, you know? When you find yourself almost to the breaking point with thoughts of "life is rough and people can be pretty cruel and there is no way that I can make a difference" - and then suddenly, a change. When the Universe reminds you of what matters. That yes, even in the simplest of ways, you can make a difference. 

Yes, I love when that happens. 

And this week, the Universe called me. Twice

Most of you know that I went back into the work force two months ago - starting a new job at a pediatricians office on December 1st actually. Back in healthcare - the field that I have worked in for almost 25 years. It is a great fit for me (three days a week), and allows me enough flexibility that I can still have plenty of time to live out my creative dreams - and (most importantly) bring additional funds to our home on a regular basis. 

Something is different about how I am approaching this job. Maybe it is because I have been home for three years and had ample time to relax before getting back into the work force. Maybe it is because I am a little older - a little wiser - a little more aware of this precious thing called life. Maybe I have had a lot of time to fill my creative pitcher, having spent three awesome years putting inspiration into my art. Maybe it is because I found a job where I think I can do good work - with people who I do really enjoy - and know that I can leave it behind every day without the responsibility or stress coming home with me, as so many jobs in my past had. 

Whatever it is, I am so grateful for it. 

But Monday, I was feeling a little bummed about it. A random phone call with a cranky parent found me during what must have been a vulnerable moment. Her rudeness and complete and total misinterpretation of what I was telling her was really upsetting, and I left work feeling utterly and totally deflated. 

My happiness bubble had burst. 

I thought about it the whole ride home. What could I have said differently to her? What would have changed her approach or attitude with me? Was there something I could have done to explain the scenario that would have made her less hostile? I played it over and over in my mind. 

I came home to a house full of family - my girls, husband, my nephews, in laws, a few extra strays - and a wide variety of activities taking place. I excused myself to our bedroom and found myself writing about the day on Facebook. Because as I often to - I needed to write it out to work through it (my cheap form of therapy).

Facebook. It can be awesome therapy when you need it most. Universe call #1 - my Facebook friends. Because in their wonderful, caring, supportive, and wise ways - my Facebook friends came back with words that only they could provide - when I truly needed it most. I didn't expect (or even think about) what their replies would be to the sharing of my day. But their words far outweighed the negativity I felt. 

My bubble was filling up again. Slowly. 

The next morning, I woke with a plan. To start anew. To not allow that one phone call, that one moment, to reflect on my spirit. So I armed myself with my strongest weapons - my peace ring (a gift from Katie and Ella about 5 years ago), and my positivity bracelet. When I wear those two things - I  feel as if nothing can tear me down. 

And then, the Universe called, again. 

This time in the form of another patients parent. A mother, who was calling to try and get her 9 year old son into our office for a first time ADHD visit with one of our physicians. She was distraught, after having just receiving a very serious phone call from her sons school over their concerns for him, and she was at her wits' end. I could hear it in her voice. She was calm, but I could hear the fear, the worry, the exhaustion with each and every word. 

And for those few moments on the phone with her, I knew that I had the ability to help her. To help calm her nerves. To let her know that she wasn't alone. To just listen to her. 

(Sometimes I think all we really need is to be heard.)  

I told her to take a breath. 

I told her that I understood. 

I told her that she was going to get through this. That I know it isn't easy. But she will get through it. 

And I believe she will. 

It wasn't a long phone call - it didn't have to be. But I know it was what she needed. And in the best way possible - it was exactly what I needed, too. 

My happiness bubble is full again. 

And the Universe? It continues to amaze me. 

Wishing you a full bubble, and lots of peace dear friends. 

xo

Comments

  1. I love, love, LOVE your attitude! Instead of continuing the cycle of abusive words, you showed compassion. Thru the screen, I can see your wings and halo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Missy!!! Thank you so much for reading my story and commenting . . . it warms my heArt. It really was a great feeling, though. Thinking of you dear!!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!