One Work-Out at a Time

I started working out this week.

Yep. I've gone three times in the past five days.

1.25 miles on the treadmill. 3 miles on the bike. And 20 minutes of weight lifting and strengthening. It's not a lot, but for someone who hasn't taken care of herself in years, it's just short of a miracle.

Don't get me wrong . . . I don't like it. I really don't like it. And anyone who says they like it, quite frankly, is lying.

Well, either they are lying, or they have never had really good cheesecake. Because I am certain there is nothing better in this world than cheesecake. And if you say that working out is better than cheesecake, well . . . you obviously haven't had good cheesecake.

But right now, I am working out. And it's good.

I go to a nearby Lifetime Fitness Club. It takes me about 15 to 20 minutes to drive there. So, all in all, the whole adventure is over and done in about a 2 hour window.

2 hours x 3 sessions = 6 hours this week, so far, to better my life.

Pretty good.

I'm actually feeling . . . really . . . really . . . good about it.

And anyone who wants to analyze what I am doing, how I am doing, if I am loosing any weight, or anything else . . . well, take a number. This is not about them. This is about . . . me. What is that old saying, "ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies." Yes, that's how I'm feeling about it. I am taking care of myself. Truly. 100%. For the first time in 42 years.

And it feels . . . really . . . really . . . good.

The kids don't like going with me. They don't like the play area where they stay while I exercise. They are bored, and would much rather be swimming or doing something else. But I sat down with both of them and explained that this is really something I must do for myself. I asked for their understanding, for their cooperation, and for their support. And you know what? They said, "of course, Mommy."

Big sigh. I love those girls of mine.

I went to my mom's the other night. She offered a piece of cake to my brother, sister-in-law and me for dessert. I didn't want it, and said, "no, thanks." 20 minutes later, while looking through an old photo album of a trip we took a couple of years ago, she said, "we have all gained so much weight since this trip."  Well, at least it was "we" and not a "you." It's ok.

I'm taking care of me.

I'm also really watching what I'm putting into my body right now. The girls and I had the yummiest lunch this week . . . nibbles of good stuff (but with limited servings of the carbs). I love the fresh veggies in the summer . . . tomatoes, sugar snap peas, and hummus . . . mmmm.

Yes, it's no cheesecake.

But I know it's good for me. And for the first time, I really get it.

So, that's a big thing I am focused on right now. Taking it all one work-out at a time.

What about you? Anything you are working on? Leave me a comment . . . I'd love to know.

Comments

  1. I'll see your cheesecake and raise you a couple of macaroons with buttery, French meringue frosting sandwiched between them.

    Seriously I commend you! I'm dieting and working out too. Thankfully my husband is in it with me so we're keeping each other accountable. It's hard but we're not getting any younger.

    Sending happy & healthy thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leanne
    I've been living a new healthy lifestyle this year... I need to do this for me, for my future! I am pleased with the results :-)
    I wish you all the best in your venture and am so pleased that you are doing something that takes care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're speaking my struggle! I need to do this too, but I can't get my head around it yet. Good luck to you - I look forward to hearing about your progress! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, congrats on putting health first. I think your attitude about this is really going to make you successful.

    As for me, I'm back on WW as a kick start, doing better than I have ever done on it. It sort of helps guide me, because I make TERRIBLE choices when it comes to fatty foods. Work is good. Life is good. Been waiting a long time to say that. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!