Poster Love


Every time I step out of our bedroom and glance over to Katie's door, I see it. When the outdoor light shines from her bedroom windows, and it catches it just right . . . I see it. If you go up close to it and look at it from an angle . . . you can see it.  Lip gloss covered kisses, from my daughter Katie. Too many to count. Right there, on his nose. That is, Justin Bieber's nose.

When I was 12 years old (way back . . . in 1984), I was in L.O.V.E. with Michael Jackson. My parents (who were more into Barbra Streisand and Johnny Mathis) didn't quite get it. My father didn't like M.J.'s choice in clothing, or dance moves (why was he always grabbing his crotch?), and my mom certainly didn't care for him. But me? I LOVED him. His dancing and his songs simply took my breath away. Loved him.

I remember my dad coming home from work one day and handing me a poster rolled up in a tube. Not sure what was inside, dad explained that someone he worked with knew someone who had a video store and he was looking for someone who would like the poster. I remember sitting in my parents kitchen and unrolling it . . . a LIFE SIZE POSTER . . . OF MICHAEL JACKSON!

I may have fainted (can't remember), but I do know that I was in absolute and total SHOCK that this amazing gift came from my dad!  Dad was Felix from The Odd Couple, and it was highly unlike him to let us tape anything to the walls in our room. But he knew how much this meant to me, and said that as long as I put it behind my door (so he didn't have to see it), then I could hang it.

There the poster stayed . . . for years. Many more smaller magazine pictures and clippings were added to my collage. But the life size Michael was really the main prize. I sang to it. I danced to it. And I'm pretty sure I probably kissed it once or twice, too. It was like having the REAL Michael Jackson right in front of me. And it was wonderful. I was clearly the coolest kid on the block . . . and I will never forget it.

Tomorrow night, Phil and I are taking Katie and Ella to the Justin Bieber concert.

Yes, the four of us, our four neighbors, and about 18,442 other die-hard Bieberettes will find ourselves in the midst of Bieber heaven. We bought the tickets back in June when Katie turned 9, and I can't believe TOMORROW is finally here.

I'm kind of excited.

Because while we're watching the Bieber Guy doing his thing, I'll be thinking of Michael Jackson, Billie Jean and my Dad. And I'll be happy to make my little girls dreams come true, just as my Dad did when he gave me that poster.

I wonder if Phil would mind a Michael Jackson poster hanging behind our bedroom door.

Ok. Maybe somethings are better as a memory.

Wishing you Peace, my friends.

Comments

  1. How FUN!!!!! I bet they are soooo excited:O) I was drooling over Shaun Cassidy:O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay this is going to state my age, but for me it was Sean Cassidy. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh.. Posters. That is definitely a rite of passage for girls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!