Random Thoughts and Lumpy Farina

I was in a gloomy mood yesterday. Big time gloomy. After what seems like WEEKS of sunshine and glorious weather, it was a cold, damp, rainy day. Not only were we covered with rain drops all day, but I felt like there was a big dark cloud stuck right above my spirit. And it bummed me out . . . BIG time.

By 8:30 PM last evening, I was ready to put it all behind me. After tucking in the girls and changing into my PJ's, and knowing that PG was out of town (and I didn't feel much like doing anything myself), I went straight to bed. I think I was already asleep as my head lowered to the pillow. The next thing I knew, it was 6:00 AM and my alarm clock was going off.

Sleep.

Sometimes our souls just need that.

As I showered and got ready for the day, I decided that I wasn't going to let my poopy spirit come out. No matter what the weather was like today, I was going to make the best of it. So, I headed downstairs with a pep in my step, and a plan in my brain.

Farina.

I will make Farina.

And not just any Farina.

Today called for LUMPY Farina. Which happens to be, if I may be so opinionated, the very best type of Farina out there.

Don't you think?

Lumpy Farina (there are some pretty good lumps in there . . . can you see them?)


While I patiently stood over the hot stove, waiting for the lumps to form, I started to think of Oprah's What I Know for Sure monthly column in her "O" magazine. I don't read "O" very often, but when I do - I always make sure that I read what Oprah "knows for sure".

I thought about what would be on my "What I Know for Sure" list. So, here it is. My random thought this week of "What I know for Sure." Of course, it starts with lumps. Because . . .
  • Lumpy Farina is SOOO Good . . . the best way to enjoy farina is to have just the right amount of lumps in the bowl. There is nothing like a warm spoonful on a cold fall day . . . it's pure heaven.
  • Pumpkin Candles in the fall  make me happy . . . I don't light candles very often, except in the fall. And my favorite scent is, hands down, pumpkin spice. LOVE the little hint of cinnamon and brown sugar that comes from a pumpkin candle. So good, I could eat it!!!!
  • The whole idea that "this too shall pass" . . . even during some pretty stressful times, I find peace in knowing that "this too shall pass". We are strapped on the finance end in our house right now. While we are so blessed that PG has a great job, we still are running a house with 4 people and a variety of expenses that seem to go up and down like the crazy blowing wind in downtown Chicago. I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but that might be months down the road. Right now . . . it's a challenge. But, it will pass.
  • Patience is a valuable trait . . . and one that I need to work on. I tend to want things to happen "RIGHT NOW" and that isn't always possible. I know I need to work on having more patience right now (especially when it comes to appointments, UPS deliveries, and all of the other things I have no control over.)
  • You can't force creativity . . . no way, no how. If it's not there . . . you can't force it. You will not be happy with the outcome and it will take even longer to come back from that. You must nurture the soul when the creative juices are dry. They will return . . . when they are ready.
  • Everyday brings a chance to start over . . . my personal favorite, taken from Ms. Oprah herself. Man-oh-man, do I believe this! 
Here is a link to Oprah.com, where you can read 20 of Oprah's Top "What I Know for Sure" lessons. It's worth the read.

I wonder what YOU know for sure. Leave me a message and let me know.

Or write about it on your own blog, and come back and leave us a comment with the link. I'm really into learning from others . . . what can you share that you know for sure?

Comments

  1. I remember lumpy farina and miss it (it's gluten).

    And I wish I had a pumpkin spice candle. I think that would make me really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having lumpy sleep and random farina these days!

    Did you write most of that "What I know for Sure" list just for me, sweetie????

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on to something here. I am not a big fan of farina or anything lumpy.. and this I know for sure...

    I was in need of inspiration for a post.. and now I have it - that I know for sure..

    And .. This too shall pass.. another certainty. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it oh so wrong that I have no idea what Farina is....
    Is that like cream of wheat?
    Forgive me and my Canadian-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I found you via Destination Unknown, and I'm going to include "What I Know For Sure" in my post today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What i know for sure is I dont like Hot cereal. And that I dont know what Farina is. And what I know for sure is that my husband knows what Farina is, he knows everything:O) I also know for sure that I will be creating art today:O) Have a great day!!!!Hugs Isabel:O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know for sure that we need to take each day at a time.... no one knows what the future holds and we can worry so much about the future that we lose sight of the present!
    I also know for sure that stopping by here is sure to put a smile on my face, Leanne :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!