Elizabeth and Me

When starting my blog a few years ago, I never imagined becoming friends with strangers. Or even considering a stranger a true, dear friend. But I have, and I do. All because of . . . the Internet.
I love that on any given day, I can sit at my laptop and be immediately connected with friends from all over the world. Some may be close (just blocks away), while others can be across the seas (Europe). But no matter how far away, I love that I can read a post from someone who is across the globe, and know that we are really all the same. The world seems so much smaller when I can read that a mother in France is going through the very same things I am going through, or that a gardener in Italy is also having challenges with her vegetables this season. Or perhaps, that there is an artist in Puerto Rico whose work inspires me so.


I love the Internet.

When Phil told me he had to visit Puerto Rico for work, and we decided that the girls and I could tag along, I have to admit . . . I had an ulterior motive.

Meet Elizabeth Gonzlez.
photos above taken from www.elizabethglz.com
Elizabeth is a fellow Hello Soul, Hello Business classmate, a Flying Lessons classmate, an amazing artist, and previous online, now BRAND NEW REAL LIFE friend!

For the past year, I have enjoyed all of Elizabeth's positive comments and joyful outlook on art and life during the various Facebook Groups we both are a part of. So, when I decided to join Phil on his trip to Puerto Rico, I had a strong desire to look up Elizabeth and MEET her . . . in the real world!!! After contacting her through one of our groups, we had arranged to meet for lunch at this lovely restaurant in San Juan, Puerto Rico.


Lunch was so wonderful. Phil, Katie and Ella joined me for the day, and I am so glad that they were there with me. I love that this whole experience taught my girls how small the world really is, and how it showed them how exciting it is to meet a friend from another part of the world. They adored this whole adventure. And Elizabeth? Oh, I have to tell you . . . she is WONDERFUL!! It's funny . . . how after seconds of meeting her, I felt like we were old friends. So very easy to talk to, so kind, so thoughtful. Though are lives are different, our core souls are so very similar and I felt immediately welcomed and connected to this amazing woman.  She presented Katie and Ella with beautiful handmade tiles that were each personalized with their names. And I was given a BEAUITUFL piece of hers titled "A Mothers Love" that is proudly displayed in my home now. Such a generous, kind woman.



After lunch, we decided to continue our adventure to Old San Juan. We spent the day exploring (what felt like) each and every part of this beautiful and historic city. We walked, was talked, we laughed . . . and we connected.


While walking down one of the streets in Old San Juan, we stumbled upon a home that had one of Elizabeth's tiles built right in it's facade. It was one of the coolest moments, and I was so glad to be there and experience this with her.



Yes, we felt like we were with a rock star! We traveled to one of the shops in town that sells much of Elizabeth's work, and my girls felt SO SPECIAL to see the beautiful pieces right there, and know that we were spending the day with THE ARTIST!



A mid-afternoon stop for Ice Cream was the perfect way to rest up for the remainder of our day. (Note to self . . . maybe next time when traveling to a warmer, humid location, you should wear a hat! Or try something else with your hair . . . because you look ghastly!) ;)


I just love the sun shining brightly on us from behind in this photo above. Phil was the amazing photographer through-out this whole trip, and I love that he caught this photo of Elizabeth and me walking and talking. There was a beautiful breeze coming off of the ocean right about now, and I could have walked and talked with my dear new friend all day long. 


 Yes, here we are . . . (again, me on the left with the ghastly hair!!!) But two artistic souls sharing a special day. I am so grateful that I was able to meet Elizabeth, and am so grateful that she spent ALL DAY WITH US!!! The minute we returned to our hotel that evening, Ella (my 5 year old) asked where Elizabeth was, and she wanted to know when Elizabeth was going to come and visit us and our home!

Elizabeth, you are welcome to our home . . . AT ANY TIME! Oh, and did I tell you? We will probably be back to Puerto Rico next year . . . I can't wait to see you again!

Each friend represents a world in us, 
 world possibly not born until they arrive. 
~Anäis Nin

Comments

  1. I have been waiting for this post. Leanne...I loved it! I am sooo happy for you, two. It's so true...everything you said. We are all so connected. What a trip to see her artwork tile in that home. How cool is that??

    Okay...so Missouri is a bit closer to Puerto Rico...anytime Phil may come to Kansas City?? :)

    And by the way...your hair does not look ghastly!!! LOL!

    Love,
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool!!!! I don't think your hair looks ghastly, but even if it did - that smile on your face is beaming!! So I think it's safe to say no one would have noticed your hair ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magical trip! I agree with Angie your smile speaks volumes and the joy is just contagious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that amazing.
    This blog world is just awesome in that it breaks down walls and opens us up to a world we never knew...and so many new friends.
    I'm so glad that you got to meet.
    What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leanne..this post is so special, I am mesmerized with your words. Phil did a great job and the story is so attached to the photos, It is amazing..and you, my dear friend, are beautiful and amazing. I loved the whole experience, it was a dream come true. Spending the day with you and your beautiful family was one of the happiest experiences. I also felt as we were friends a long time ago..and forever. You are more than welcome again...can't wait..Tell Ella and Katie that they are adorable and enjoyed so much her company during that Old San Juan walk. Thank you so much for this beautiful post and for letting me be part of your life and of your sweet family. Sending HUGS to all!! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you got to travel! And meet a friend. :-)

    What a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOH.. this post warms my heart. What a NEAT person. She seems like a true gem of a "real life friend." I am sooo happy for you and the girls. You are showing them how to really live life.

    Man.. we are all a little better off, now that we know Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. O.k. Leanne this post just gave me chills :). I am glad that you took this opportunity and I couldn't agree more - it's a small, small world (I sound like a Disney charachter :)))). And I am so glad that it is so. You both look like a rock stars. Hugs around the world,petra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest sweeet Leanne, i am loving this post so much!! It's so inspiring and heartwarming. Both of you are just so beautiful and sweet! :) Loving all the places sweet Elizabeth took you. :) Have a lovely merry happy sunday and love to you!

    ps: your girls are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!