The Authentic Me

So many things touching my soul today . . . so many people making a big difference in my life. People who have no idea who I am. Isn't it amazing how we can touch each others lives without even knowing it?

My dear friend Leslie at {Words of Me} Project wrote a very touching post today, on finding herself in the midst of some difficult obstacles (pain) in life right now. I admire her more than words can say. While reading her post, I felt myself in awe of those people who are their authentic selves - on good days and bad. I often find myself traveling from blog to blog reading inspiring, motivating and creative posts and looking at creative pictures taken by people who, in my eyes, are just about as perfect as can be. While I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side - I wonder if they truly are as happy as it seems.

Authentic
au·then·tic

1: obsolete
2a : worthy of acceptance or belief as conforming to or based on fact
b : conforming to an original so as to reproduce essential features 
c : made or done the same way as an original
3: not false or imitation : real, actual 
4: true to one's own personality, spirit, or character

Today, Leslie's post was as authentic as can be. She found herself in a vulnerable moment, and she shared it with us. And I love her for that. I encourage you to stop over and share some love with her.

When you are done at Leslie's, head over to Brene Brown's site here . . . she is my hero. I was introduced to her years ago by another blog friend of mine, and was immediately pulled into her words and inspired by her ideas. I've left many comments on her posts through the years, and remember once receiving a reply from Brene. That reply still sits in my "in" box - and just seeing her name there in my list of emails brings a reminder of being authentic. Yes, this whole idea of authenticity and living this authentic life is not mine alone. I first read the below from Brene years ago and it was then that I realized being authentic is how I want to live my life.


I am often amazed at this quest for an authentic creative life that I am on - this quest and need to have it in each and every part of my day. As I've shared with you before, I'll be attending "The Creative Connection Event" in September. I am THRILLED to be joining hundreds of other creative souls for a three day conference in Minnesota.  I feel as if I need this right now in my life, more than ever before. My Mom doesn't understand, though, and we recently found ourselves in a rather uncomfortable conversation about this upcoming conference. She has no idea why I need to go to this, why I feel it is ok to leave my family for five days, and how I can even think of doing such a thing. I guess she never will understand - as she is from a different time and place and doesn't have this need that I have. My creative pitcher has been empty for far too long. Attending this conference will make me a better ME

Authentic.

I strive to be authentic.

I have good days. I have bad days. But whatever the day is - I want to be the best me I can be. I want to soak up the positive energy of others. I want to learn from the challenges that others are faced with. I want to explore. I want to dream. I want to surrender to the ME inside.

Authentic.

That, I hope, is me.

Leslie? I am proud of you. And I love you, my dear friend.

Comments

  1. Go on with your bad authentic self. I have to go read her post now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I ever tell you that one of my affirmations was "I am authentic"?
    I applaud you in taking this journey, Leanne. I really wish I would have started mine 10 years ago. But apparently it wasn't the right time.
    So tell Carol that #5 agrees with your decision to attend this event. And what better reason than to make you a better you! And that your girls will learn that being authentic is the best gift they can give themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Authentic. Brilliant. You are both. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are spilling open, my sweet friend...
    just. be. you.
    as my dad always says...bottom line, end of story...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the dear friend Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leanne,

    First of all I was blown away by this post. Here I sit after another 24 hour migraine, feeling so many things....scared, lost, tired, hopeful, stressed, joy...so many thoughts running around in my mind...then I stop by here to see how you are and read this.

    Thank you, sweet friend. I was stopping by to tell you how much your kind words meant to me yesterday. You are so real and authentic, too. That's why I love coming here everyday. That's why I adore you even though we've never met...it's because of how authentic you are that I can feel you through my computer screen.

    Brene Brown is one wise woman and that quote from her is amazing.

    Have you ever read the Sarah BanBreathach books? My very fave book if "Finding your authentic self". It is marvelous.

    The Creative Connection sounds amazing. I had thought about going to that. Just what I need!!

    Love ya',
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post my dear Leanne! It is so important to be authentic! Hugs~M

    ReplyDelete
  8. Authentic is definitely YOU:O) I love reading and visiting your blog because of this:O) Enjoy the Creative Connection Conference:O)Your girls will know its ok to follow and make dreams come true:O) Hugs Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful statement and tribute to a fabulous writer. You are one of the most authentic people I have ever had the pleasure of "knowing."

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's hard to be authentic for those to whom it doesn't come naturally. It doesn't mean we can't grow into it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. authentic, that is really THE WORD! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!